Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair....Be Afraid...It's the Hand Luggage Checking Device....

Poster: A snowHead
Hadn't seen this before.

On last week's Manchester > Memmingen run a Ryanair bod was patrolling the boarding queue with the following cunning cardboard device, which slips over the top of hand luggage to check its size. We were delighted to pass with flying colours wink !

Not sure what happened to those who were frantically trying to squeeze down lids by sitting on them or those with the usual double bass-sized bags......

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In true Ryanair fashion it's probably a little smaller than it should be to maximise profits! Or was that another airline?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict, seen it lots but never actually in use
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
In true Ryanair fashion it's probably a little smaller than it should be to maximise profits! Or was that another airline?
I think that was another budget airline - with red planes I think(??) - where the metal gauge was found to be smaller than the stated max dimensions Embarassed

holidayloverxx Had never seen it before - or maybe I'm just very unobservant Confused....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, I stand corrected, however could I suspect them of anything like that.

Bmibaby http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1310345/Budget-airlines-bag-blunder-hits-passengers-60-levy.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've seen RA insist on you popping your bag into the metal sizing gadgets - haven't see one of those cardboard gizmos in use though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I applaud that. It's such a pain trying to get on and off planes with people with stupid amounts of hand baggage which they then ram into all available spaces so you can't even get your coat into the overhead locker. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I tend to agree - some of the bags you see folks getting on with seem to defy belief that the size is OK. I can live with the notion of one piece of hand baggage only, but I think it behoves the passenger to be sensible about it. I typically take a very small case (well within the boundary lengths) or more usually a large lap top bag which also fits easily.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w +1

As a pretty regular traveller it absolutely amazes me just how much people try and get into their hand baggage, often as you say to the detriment of others space. Its clear that young children and people with special needs may require the full allowance but is it really necessary to have a change of outfit, three course lunch and enough gadgets to drain the APU? Often on a flight of less than two hours Twisted Evil

Not happy about a lot of R'airs income generating tactics but this one is a plus.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wish that Easyjet used them. Flew from BHX to GVA earlier this year and whilst waiting on the steps to get onboard the aircraft I was told that too many people had carried on too many large bags so that my small backpack had to go into the hold.

Luckily I was able to fit the backpack under the seat...but I did spend the entire flight wearing my helmet which caused much amusement!

The quicker that the airlines enforced the rules the better as it would benefit most of the people that they carry....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flybe are extremely hot on cabin bags if you check in at the airport, seems less so if you do it on line.

Having young children makes no difference at all

They made my daughter (aged 10 a the time) put her bag into the metal sizer, it fitted, with room to spare, but then the check in person actually came around the other size and put a ruler across the top, claiming the handle stuck up over the edge by 1cm, so it had to go in the hold...cost £18!.(about, can't remember exactly)...so i duck taped the bag, squashing handle down.

sorry some of the time its purely a money making exercise, Fly(may)be being one of the worst.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i've seen this used before in Turin, two girls ended up putting on 2 extra layers each to flatten thier bags enough!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, It's a feature of the stupid games all the lo cos are now playing with excessive hold baggage charges Of course most people don't need anything like the amount of hand luggage they carry but as the cost to check it isn't proportionate every passenger is inconvenienced by every locker being absolutely rammed plus the inevitable delays while the last passengers to board have to check their bags at the airway anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saw it used at Murcia airport last September.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wish certain middle eastern airlines would adopt these devices and enforce the only one bag rule. I am totally in favour of them.

However, the carrying on of unsuitably large luggage is largely a problem of RyanAir's making; by charging extra to carry luggage (and I mean luggage not the stuff you might need at the airport or on the plane) in the hold where it is meant to go people try and carry all their luggage onto the plane. Imagine getting onto the transfer bus and being charged extra just to but your bags in the hold!
snow report
johnE wrote:
Imagine getting onto the transfer bus and being charged extra just to but your bags in the hold!

If the transfer bus were operated by Ryanair they would charge you extra! wink
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Imagine getting onto the transfer bus and being charged extra just to but your bags in the hold!

Imagine how cheap the transfer bus would be if you had no luggage in the hold though wink
snow conditions
I booked with EJ for this summer. What annoyed me was despite paying for 3 full price tickets I only got one piece of hold baggage allowed and actually needed to pay for an additional item. I had assumed that each full paying passenger would get a hold bag allowed. Yet I expect if I had booked all the tickets separately I would have got a piece of hold bagagge per passsenger. As it is I needed to pay for extra and between the three of us we now have only 2 bags totalling 40KG. Luckily this will be sufficient, as of course, we can do hand baggage, but I am surprised that we didn't get one bag per booking by default.
snow report
Megamum, Easyjet policy "Each passenger who pays for a hold bag can take up to 20kg of luggage". You will have paid for 1 bag when you booked. You could have booked more. Each passenger has an allowance but you have to pay to use it.

When you book the screen tells you how many passengers there are and assumes you want a bag each and prices it up accordingly. (I've just tested this). so for 2 people it says:

"Luggage
There are 2 passenger(s)
Checking in
2 bags (this is in a drop down box which you can change)
Weighing in total up to 40kg
Note: No bag can individually weigh more than 32kg

Added
£29.00 per bag
£58.00 in total for 2 bag(s)"

If you change the drop down box to 1 bag it changes to £'s added to £29.00 total
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Ahh.....that's what was confusing - I hadn't twigged:

Quote:

Each passenger has an allowance but you have to pay to use it.

and thought you would get the allowance without paying for it. Many thanks for the clarification, which makes sense.

Mind you, considering that they are one of the so called cut-price/lower cost airlines, I was surprised at the overall costs (it's been a while since I've flown). Both kids (full price I think), myself, 2 bags (that 40Kg mentioned above) Gatwick/Zurich return (Wed/Sun) and booked 6 months in advance and it was still £433. This just struck me as a lot of cash when you see some flights advertised for £29 etc.
snow report
mountainaddict, I have a picture of my case in the metal version - which I was made to put in the hold and pay £40 for by some bi@tch at Fuerteventura airport. I messaged them through their system (the only way to contact them) and complained and they emailed back asking me to write in rolling eyes by which time Id lost the flight details. Will niggle me forever!
latest report
Megamum, yebbut the £29 is one way excl tax etc. you just have to look at the overall cost and decide it it's worthwhile. £144 each sounds reasonable to me. I just checked Swiss out of London City at the end of July Weds-Sun and for 2 adults and 1 child (which is what you have) is £552 (£184 each), although you do get a hold bag each for that.
snow report
holidayloverxx, all UK carriers include tax these days. EJ certainly do. I think it's the rules now?
snow report
bobmcstuff, fairy nuff. I've always said I don't care what the opening price is or includes, I can't say I ever notice it. it is the price at the end that counts, which I know you agree with.
ski holidays
Indeed, just being pedantic Laughing.
latest report
Flew back from GVA, my certified hand luggage case measured just over the stated limits when full but literally disappeared into Easyjets metal gauge thingy Puzzled
latest report
carroz wrote:

Having young children makes no difference at all

They made my daughter (aged 10 a the time) go in the hold.

Corrected.
snow report
holidayloverxx, Thanks for checking that - it sounds like I paid the going rate then - Swiss being a tad more pricey, I don't often pay for my own air fares so I am a bit out of touch. I guess London City is an option for us, but to get there the easiest option is to train there, and I guess I either pay for the train fare or the airport parking! I've done Gatwick several times lately and its not too bad providing I can get over the QE11 bridge. It will be the kids first air flight and I'm subjecting them to EJ - still it has to be a better option than RA for a first flight. Maybe we will see Michelle Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, definitely train/DLR for City, so Gatwick is a reasonable option. I have seen Michelle on a flight, we were equally surprised!
latest report
The latest squeezyjet are doing is forcing people to check in hand luggage because of their charges on hold bags, no one is checking bags in so there s not enough locker space. No extra change but it just shows how crazy it has all got with their own pricing policies biting them.
ski holidays
sorry ...too many people are forgetting that 15 years ago it cost you £300 + to fly geneva return......... now you whinge at £18 to check a bag in which is over sized when the flight costs £25 each way

get over it

pay the true price of air travel or pick another sport which doesn't involve taking luggage
snow report
CEM, From where I live Flybe will usually cost well over £200 each to fly return to geneva if you take skis and luggage etc. there is another more local airline that will charge between £198 and £300 each depending when you book, but are all in. BA is often cheaper but involves going to Gatwick and out again, so takes all day. Just priced 4 of us to Geneva return with BA and it was just over £860 with the skis.........so we are going in the car even if the boat is £380
ski holidays
How long before that cardboard box is a chair / box that you have to fit in??? or a set of scales.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Noisey
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/ZAg0lUYHHFc

Always worth another listen. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
air travel is available amazingly cheap
ski holidays
Quote:

air travel is available amazingly cheap

indeed it is - often cheaper than taking a car with several people in (even if you don't cost in anything for wear and tear on the car). And why do people travelling with a socking great fat suitcase and a coupla pairs of skis feel somehow hard done by if they are charged more than somebody carrying nowt but a briefcase?
snow report
pam w, It is the fact that you are quoted a price, but by the time you actually get to pay, the price is 3 times what you were originally quoted is really annoying, especially that part about paying them for the privilege of actually paying them. Then you discover on the flight that almost all the other passengers are at or often beyond there carryon allowance hence the plane is packed beyond comfort and the fat woman next to you asks if you mind if she puts her second bag under your feet (well, OK that happened to me on a well known dutch airline). Then you discover that British Airways are cheaper all along provided you can get to some airport at the back of beyond in southern England.

And then again, why should I pay the same price as someone who weighs 90kg? Should we not be charged at the combined weight of passenger + luggage?

Why cannot all airlines just tell you how much it is going to cost up front AND put your luggage in the hold where it belongs.

Rant over, I will use EasyJet again.
snow conditions
johnE, My brother was on a US flight at Easter and there was a commotion on the plane.
A guy at a window seat was refusing to raise his arm rest to allow a very large passenger to sit in the aisle seat, he could only fit by raise BOTH arm rests and there was no way they could then return to their down position.
Quite rightly the guy stuck to his guns, even when an air marshal presented himself & threatened him with some, possibly invented legal action.
The window seat man was bumped up to business class for free and the large man had the 2 seats to himself.
By all accounts there was no way he could fit on one standard coach class seat.

Noisey
snow conditions
noisey, wow, though thoroughly in the right - he was brave!
snow report
noisey,
Quote:

cardboard box is a chair / box that you have to fit in??? or a set of scales....

I would be all in favour of that - as someone quite small - drives me up the wall to be squashed in on a seat on a plane or train by someone hugely fat, who often is a bit smelly too. And as my bag on small wheely suitcase is always the right size its also very irritating to have others trying to get their way on when their bags are well out of the size range.

Agree with CEM
Quote:

15 years ago it cost you £300 + to fly geneva return

it was like that when we were first going to build in Les Gets and we always envisaged driving but knew that we could fly in and out of Geneva in emergency - was a great joy when Easyjet arrived and we could do some cheapish mid week flights.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy