Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel in Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, it's that time of year again when we are looking at what to book for next winters ski holiday.
We are all agreed that as we've been to Murren for the last 3 years and Grindelwald the year before that, we would try Wengen for next year.
I think we'll probrably book with Inghams as we've always found that they have looked aft us better than the rival company. We looked at the hotel belevedere and also the falkon, my questions are ...which is the closest to either the lift up or railway station, and if you've experienced both which did you like the best and why?
Does anyone have any suggestions of other accommodation? We prefer half board but would go b&b also.
Independent travel dosnt seem to be an option with the fligs costing the best part of £200 to start with!
Looking forward to your thoughts,

Suzy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
suzysue2, I'm sure D G Orf will be on here shortly to confirm, but as far as I know the Falken is closer to the Mannlichen cable car, and is certainly closer to the station. Given snow cover in the village you can also ski back to the Falken ski room at the back of the hotel, and also in the morning ski from the ski room to the Mannlichen cable car station.

Also the Falken has a real period charm, and next season the excellent jazz pianist Al Copley will be in residence there from Jan 22nd to March 23rd - if you've not heard him play you're in for a treat. Madeye-Smiley

P.S I've already booked a week in the Falken from Jan 26th! Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 29-04-12 12:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not much in it between the Falken and the Belvedere distance wise, but you can ski back to within 50 metres of the Falken. Also worth looking at the Bellevue and the Edelweiss for B&B.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My choice would be the Falken.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpenrose was fantastic when we stayed there over Easter. For me this was the best hotel I've stayed in in Wengen, and I've stayed in many there, including the Falken (but not the Belverdere).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pjd, I agree that the Alpenrose is excellent, particularly the food. One slight drawback is its location below the main village which means a walk uphill in the morning or if you are meeting other people in the evening. However, it is substantially more expensive than the Falken (don't know the cost of the Belvedere).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with others that the Alpenrose is one of the best in Wengen, it's also the oldest in Wengen but unfortunately it's also the furthest from the center and the up hill walk in the morning is a fair push, of the two asked about I think I'd say the Falken would be the better choice, the Belvedere is a bit further away from the Cablecar (though not by much) but depending on conditions you can actually ski from the Falken down to the Cablecar (or pretty close) by going across the Nursery slopes, you can't do that from the Belvedere, and the Falken is much closer to the Station, I also feel that the Falken has more character.

Food wise I've not eaten in the Falken for a couple of decades so I have no idea of the quality of the food there, the Belvedere last time I stayed there did a buffet type dinner, nothing wrong with the food but nothing particularly special either, given a choice between the Falken and Belvedere I believe I'd probably go for the Falken
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As regards the food at the Falken, whilst not of the superb standard of that at the Alpenrose it's still perfectly acceptable in my view. The breakfast is help yourself from the usual selection of fruit juices, yoghurts, cereals, breads, cold meats, cheeses and boiled or scrambled eggs. From memory, dinner is a choice of soup or fruit juice starter, salad, choice of two main dishes, and choice of dessert. One day a week (I think on Friday) they have a good buffet dinner instead.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunstar, Silberhorn or Caprice all near the station.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic, And all far more expensive unfortunately

Also I'd be inclined to avoid the Silberhorn I keep hearing less than good reports from people who've stayed there but I'm always willing to change my mind if anyone says it is great ? It used to offer good value for money at a fair to good standard but what I've heard in recent years suggest that standards may have slipped a little and prices risen a bit
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, I tried looking for the bellvue and edelweiss but couldn't find anything with a tour operator, Am i missing something?

I also found that I could get a tour operator deal to the belvedere arriving and leaving on Sunday 13th jan, which would mean we cold watch the downhill race. It's a shame it's not the falkland,they only change over on Saturdays!

Not going to book just yet so anymore thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks again
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
suzysue2, I had a phone stolen from my room in the Belvedere so be careful; it's old fashioned if you like that sort of thing and a long walk from anywhere.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 1-05-12 0:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Duplicate post!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 30-04-12 22:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re the Alpenrose, yep it is maybe 10 mins walk to the lift/ station and uphill as well but the porters do run you up in the carts at the drop of a hat. You can store skis at the Central Sport depot - although one of my sons' pairs of shoes annoyingly went missing on the last day there, with an identical but slightly older pair two sizes too big left on the next peg! We stayed at the Silberhorn for many years. It's really convenient but new spa aside, feels a bit unloved.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok guys, so the rest of the party have decided that they would like to stay for 9 nights!
This is the rough plan,
Flights out from either Manchester or Luton on the Friday (11th jan) we are central to bth of these so either would be ok

Friday night in Zurich with train into region on the Saturday morning.

9 nights accomodation in Wengen, preferably, but would consider other resorts (Grindelwald,Lauterbrunnen or murren)

Would prefer b&b or half board but would even look at self catering appartment.

The problem we have is that as it would be 9 nights it would span 2 weeks with the big race at the weekend!

We wouldn't even mind too much, a move on the Saturday,

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, suggestions etc?

Seem to be drawing a blank which ever way at the moment.
Inghams travel on a Saturday or Sunday to both resorts with hotel accomodation limited to just a few choices but ally would like a bit longer out there.

Many thanks for your help and patience,

Suzy
snow report
Sorry, just re read this, inghams only go for 7 or 14 nights.
snow report
suzysue2, I think for 9 nights you may have to book privately, the week after race weekend is usually pretty quiet, some might say dead but the week before especially the weekend is very busy.

Booking for 9 nights I'd go to the hotels directly, you will probably have to pay more though as the tour ops often get better deals on both hotels and flights, If you want to be able to do half board and keep things central I'd suggest the Falken would be a good choice, however if you are prepared for a short walk up hill in the mornings I'd still sugest the Alpenrose and also the Baren, the Baren is a small hotel just down the hill from the station, not used by any tour operators so far as I know it is a nice little hotel, with excellent food (popular with the locals) also if you really want to keep prices down there's the Bernerhof at the far end of the high street from the station, probably the cheapest option for hotels in Wengen
latest report
bit dodgy going early in the season to Wengen or Grindelwald..... do they have snow that time of year ?
ski holidays
Ok, so having taken in what you've said and given it some more thought this is my other half suggestion....

Book hotel (Murren) Sunday 13th jan for 7 nights

But........
Fly out on thurs 10th, easy jet to geneva from Birmingham, stay in geneva as the last train to murren with connections is 16.00 and the flight gets in at 15.30! Hotel cost approx £100 per couple.

Book into hotel Eiger in murren ( we love it here) fri & sat night, followed by the 7 nights as booked through Inghams.

Now, I've not spoken to Inghams but I doubt that this will be possible????

Any thoughts?

We would at least get the longer holiday, extended at the start of the race week instead of the end, and would also be in the area for the race.

I'm going to phone Inghams on Tuesday to see how it would work if we booked the holiday but didn't actually fly out with them.

Suzy
snow report
Any good hotel may have an international ski team staying, or some of the thousands of fans following their heroes that weekend.
snow report
suzysue2, You can still get to Mürren after the 16h connection time but you need to go via Stechelberg/Gimmelwald instead as it runs upto 12am which will save you staying in Geneva

geneva airport depart:16:01
Mürren arrive :20:05

when searching on SBB use the Gimmelwald as the arrival point and then add 5 mins to the journey !

You get off the train at Lauterbrunnen as normal and then walk across the road to the bus stop which is located outside the cablecar station to Grütschalp/Mürren and jump on the bus to Stechelberg LSMS (12 min journey time and is included in your swiss t/fer ticket)

Timetable Stechelberg – Gimmelwald – Mürren – Schilthorn (incl. BLM from Lauterbrunnen)
http://www.schilthorn.ch/?redirect=getfile.php&cmd[getfile][uid]=1995

We have do it a few times and its easy !

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 6-05-12 9:44; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
suzysue2, If staying in Murren you will need to be up early to watch the races, ridiculous numbers arrive by train on Race days and you have to fight your way onto those trains to get up the mountain.

As for hotels and international teams, it's true that in Wengen most hotels will have at least one team staying, Last time I was there for the race the Alpenrose had the Australian and British teams there sharing a table, it used to be that each hotel would only have one team staying however the number of hotels in Wengen has significantly decreased over the years and I'm guessing that in some hotels there will be more than one team now
ski holidays
suzysue2, Why not book independently, do you need a TO?
snow report
D G Orf, When I stayed at the Falken hotel this year I saw the Italian ski team there on the Sunday - apparently it's their regular place to stay during the Lauberhorn Race weekend.

I would echo your comment about the hordes of people going up on the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to watch the races - if you do want to see the races it's a lot easier actually being in Wengen already! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, makes sense the Cova family have Italian roots so they get the Italian team, Margret Von Allmen at the Alpenrose is a Scot so they get the UK team, although many many decades ago they had the Japanese team stay there
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy