Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just after a bit of a steer please. I am looking to book a ski trip with a dozen or so in the party. Tied to Innsbruck flight for a Thu arrival, ski fri sat and return sun. I have seen some posts on here saying it is nigh on impossible to get anything other than a week long stay in Ischgl. Is this the case? Hoping to take in the Ischgl apres ski but do we need to be prepared to stay at villages close by? Mathon etc? Is there a ski bus to and from or can you ski out from these villlages into Ischgl at the end of the day and then taxi back to nearby villages?? appreciate some advice or even Ischgl hotels or experience of other village accomodation that will still allow the apres ski. thanks alot
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When are you planning on visiting? It is certainly not "nigh on impossible" to find accommodation for a short period. But there are a few points worth considering:

- few places will want to take a Thursday to Sunday booking in advance given that most people are looking for a week.
- they will however be keen closer to the time (so the week before) because if they still have availability the risk of not getting someone for the whole week is offset by the advantage of at least filling part of the week.
- 12 people in the same place would I imagine be very tricky because by the time you get close it is more likely you will be filling gaps. So I would anticipate splitting up.
- the more busy the less gaps, the less busy the more willing to take a short booking, so early season, late season and away from half term, fasching and concerts will help.
- because you are looking for gaps you may have to pay more or go to one of the other villages- buy not necessarily, it's a bit of a gamble.

All of which said I would use the tourist office accommodation service putting in various configurations (all 12, 3x4 etc) and see what comes up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there pretty off season mid Jan this year and couldn't get a place for four nights in a row, for two of us. Got one place for the first three nights then went down to Kappl for the last night (the Saturday).

I also enquired again of the tourist office for the 15 - 19th March and got the grand total of zero replies.

So I think you'll struggle to get a place for 12 of you if you're not booking for a week.

There certainly were ski buses from Kappl up, we didn't get them as we had a car.

There was also another town further up the valley which seemed really nice but I can't remember the name of it. A search will pull it up I'm sure.

On the plus side its a lovely town with a very large and high skiing area. Enjoy if you get there!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its difficult but not impossible to get accommodation, often depends on when you plan to go. Could be a struggle to get a dozen in one hotel at anytime. Mathon should be easier. I think a bus links Mathon to Ischgl but if not its only a shot taxi ride away. You certainly can't ski between the two.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
8611 wrote:

I also enquired again of the tourist office for the 15 - 19th March and got the grand total of zero replies.

How far in advance were you enquiring?

Normally for a short booking I wouldn't expect to get much response until a week or two in advance (unless I was going for very early season or late).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agreed. They have no reason to let part of a week when, if they wait a bit, they can let let for a full one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:

How far in advance were you enquiring?

Normally for a short booking I wouldn't expect to get much response until a week or two in advance (unless I was going for very early season or late).

It was the week before or the week of. No further in advance than then. Most likely the week before actually because I got a bed in St Anton then and took it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that sounds unfortunate I've always found places short notice. That said Thursday 15th to Monday 19th March starts to cut across two weeks which I imagine would have made it harder. Most people staying for a week will look to arrive or depart on Saturday or Sunday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep was definitely cutting the weeks alright.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In terms of your other q OP, it would presumably be possible to enjoy the apres in Ischgl and then get the ski bus back to your town, or a taxi if later. Just to let you know though, Kappl had next to nothing in terms of nightlife. There was barely two restaurants in the town which I was suprised at because there is lots of accomodation.

Also, a lot of the accomodation is strung out along roads there, ours was prob 2k from the town centre, and I can't see you being able to get a bus direct from Ischgl to there. Most likely you would have had to change, if there was in fact a ski bus at all. So if you book one of the other towns maybe try and find a place which is along the direct bus route to Ischgl.

It should be noted that there is skiing in each of the other towns, though it is not as vast as in Ischgl.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The hoteliers hate to give away a room for a few days. Simple reason being that the chances are that the room will stay empty for the rest of the week! They will usually only agree to give you the room on a last minute basis. If I'm doing that kind of thing I usually just turn up in the resort and look into the tourist office to see what they have got. Sometimes I end up in the next village but so what... Doing that with 12 people is going be a bit tough though!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Of course one option might be to book something cheap in Ischgl itself (they do exist) for the whole week and accept you would be paying twice the price for the advantage of securing a place for a whole week (which you only use half of) for all 12 together in Ischgl which would be simple and avoid mucking around with busses or taxis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi. goin 28th feb to 3rd march. not looking good for ischgl then is it!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not really sure that's the case? Like I said I've never had problems booking short notice. Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going on 1st March, same week as I always go. Its very high season but even then I've met people who have gone for just a few days, albeit not many of them and never a group of 12. They have also all been German so have no problems with the language and can ring every hotel in the village if they need to.
snow report
Maybe time to have a look at another lively resort within 1-1.5 hrs transfer from Innsbruck. Any first hand knowledge. THe proble I have is I will have to book accommodation in advance with there being so may of us.
ski holidays
1063roberts, I've tried the same sort of long weekend booking for a group of us and have never had any luck. I haven't though tried the option of turning up on the day or ringing round a few days beforehand. Saalbach on the other hand has always accommodated us in advance. About 2 hours drive from INN and après is nearly as good.
latest report
1063roberts, then you will find this tricky because the same logic that accomodation providers will be wary of committing in advance to taking a large reservation which substantially reduces the chance of them selling a whole week (unless there is a sudden rush on people wanting to stay Sunday to Thursday which is I suspect not very likely) applies to most large, busy resorts in the Alps.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a go, and you may be lucky, but it is tricky with a small number of people. And will be trickier still with 12.

If you stay in the edge or outside of town you will I would have thought increase your chances as you will if you go low season.
snow report
And if you are going to Austria or eastern Switzerland do remember fasching. A lot of Brits are unfamiliar with it and can't understand why they can't find somewhere to stay at that time.
snow report
Maybe ask mattiwilkin how he got on http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2008276
snow conditions
Or have a chat with

http://chaletatman.vpweb.co.uk/
snow report
Fasching? will have to google that???
ski holidays
1063roberts, it's carnival. And a very popular time to hit the ski slopes in German speaking areas. As a result accommodation is at a premium. Next year it's the week beginning 11 February.
snow report
Fasching is essentially Shrove Tuesday week. It's about the only German I can remember! Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks like I will bit the bullet and book the flights. Then try to get in some accom nearer the time, either Ischgl / Mathon / Wirl or head to St Anton Am etc. Thanks for advice Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy