Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me cut through all the contradictory nonsense about Snowboard lengths... Please?!

Poster: A snowHead
Background ... on my last two ski trips i have spent one day on each holiday dark siding on a rental board.

Taught myself (fairly successfully if i do say so myself) and after a 10 day boarding trip to Banff I am now a full convert and am ready to stick hands in pockets and buy my own kit (i know all the pros and cons of rental v purchase and am definitely in the purchase camp).

In Morzine, I told the rental guy I was a beginner and he gave me a 147cm board.
In La Plagne, I told the rental guy i could link turns (just) and he gave me 147cm board.
In Banff, I told the rental guy that I was doing OK and wanted to progress. He gave me a 148cm.

So now the sales are on, I started looking at boards 148cm long (ish). I used an online calculator (frostyrider thing) which seemed to suggest that 148 was about right.

Then I read other websites that said it should be by my mouth.... 148 puts the end of the board by my neck.

Then a bloke at work laughed when i said I was getting a 148cm board.

Some sites say i need 144., some say 148 and some say all sorts of things up to 156.

Help?!!!

I am Female. I weigh 9.5 stones (although hope to be 9 by the time i next board). I am 5 feet 6 tall.

I know that smaller boards are easier to turn. Longer boards faster. I want to be nimble on the board, but be OK but on and off piste. "all mountain" i guess is what they call it.

I've seen a decent deal on the board I want - it's a 152cm..... what do you reckon?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat,
General consensus suggests board length should be somewhere between chin & nose ; so wherever that is on you should be your starting guide. Dont get overtaken by just a decent discount on a board ; make sure you pick a board that will suit your ability & also what you hope to get from it.
Good luck
Mitch
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat, board length is primarily based on weight, type of riding and design of board. Pick the board you think you'd like to ride. Go to manufacturers website, there will be tables that recommend board sizes for your weight etc. They're quite specific, some boards need to be longer, some shorter, all for the same size of person.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Board width is more important than board length! Get one that is an appropriate width for your feet size.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just go by the manufacturer's recommendation. Every board in any shop should have the appropriate rider weight marked on it.

Your weight is more important than your height, so don't get hung-up on whether it's at your neck/chin/nose/etc.

As snowrider says, it's also essential to get the width right, but that should be a given, especially if you buy a "woman's" board.

I would have thought around 148ish sounds about right for your weight. e.g. you'd be right in the middle of the weight range for a Burton Feelgood 149 : http://global.burton.com/womens-boards-feelgood-snowboard/252353,default,pd.html?start=13&cgid=womens-boards

Feelgood would be a nice all-rounder BTW.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the longer the board is the more stable it is a higher speeds but ever so slightly harder to turn. The shorter the opposite applies.

weight as the number one factor when choosing a board....

if you get a womens board they can be easier to flex than the mens boards and sometimes the width is smaller.

Make sure you've got yourself a good pair of boots first.

If you also have the chance get to one of the indoor domes where you can for £15 try as many different boards as you like. This money will generally get deducted if you decide to then buy a board from that shop.

Just for info... Im supposed to be riding a 154cm board if I want all mountain but ive got a 151cm board which, I can, when Im really pushing myself speed wise feel it starting to wobble I really dont have any problems as love the board ( Roxy Ollie Pop)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im also guessing that you'll want to start off with a all mountain board ? ?? always a good type of board to start off with
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat wrote:

I know that smaller boards are easier to turn. Longer boards faster. I want to be nimble on the board, but be OK but on and off piste. "all mountain" i guess is what they call it.

I've seen a decent deal on the board I want - it's a 152cm..... what do you reckon?

If you were in begginer lessons I can see why a hire shop would give you a 147, however if your buying this board with the intention to progress I'd not consider anything below 150 unless your really into your park and jib stuff. IMO you've landed on the size I'd have recommended, 152. You'll easily turn it, yet have ample float on powder and stability on landing jumps. What you'll compromise on is rotation off jumps (not on piste though) and it may not butter the piste as well as a sub150 super flexy board. I'm 9.5-10 stone male, ride 157 as I like to get off piste as much as I can but still like to lap the park on the way home.

I have a 155 which I ride when heading for an all day play in the park, which is a tad to long and if I were to buy another freestyle board I'd be looking around 150.

To sum it up anywhere between 150-155, medium flex and (quite important for a true all mountain board but doesn't get raised enough) a sintered base. A sintered base helps the flow of water along your base and will keep you gliding on flats and sticky snow. All mid ranged upwards "all mountain" boards should be sintered anyway!

Whats the deal you've seen?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Board length has nothing to do with your height and everything to do with your weight. The board is designed to flex properly with a pre-determined range of weights applied to it. Some boards with the new camber profiles are designed to be ridden shorter in length but still cope ok with some deeper snow. Personally I like a longer and stiffer board than strictly needed but that's me. I think this is generally pretty open to personal preference and so long as the board isn't too stiff then you'll be fine, 4cm difference is something you can cope with.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just had a look around the net as not looked at womens boards for ages, best bargain I could find in 30mins was this:

http://www.theboardbasement.com/snow-Snowboards/Flow-Myriad-148cm-Womens-snowboard-2011/2084

Although I'm contradicting myself as this is a 148, it's got some good tech in it for a smidge over £200. Last seasons board, but I'd defo recommend a season or two old board to get the best value for money! In fact its time the big board shops should be reducing there stock so good time to be a buyer!

Just for comparison here's the same year Burton Feather (a very common board that is easily sold because of the low price tag and Burton name):

http://www.boardwise.com/p-9133-burton-feather-womens-snowboard-152-mid-wide-2011.aspx

Virtually the same price but no sintered base and very flexy, if your spending the money get the best you can for what everprice range you've got.

Right out to enjoy the sunshine instead of researching boards for other people!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/P/Arbor_PUSH_Womens_Snowboard_148cm_2010-%2833721%29.aspx

nice
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
realistically your taking about maybe 1 - 3 cm difference, its not going to matter to someone that has maybe 3-5 weeks on snow, and unless your riding deep off piste or rails you really wont notice the difference.

Just buy a beginner board thats in budget, roughly the right size and go ride, dont over think it too much Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you very very much to all who replied. I really appreciate it.

Interesting stuff about the weight thing - I was always just going off height alone and not really taking into weight into account at all. I guess it makes sense though.

The deal I had seen was for a 151 (not 152 that was my mistake) Roxy Ally 2012. It was £280 but included a free £50 good quality board bag (which i'd need anyway) making the board £220.... I took the plunge and ordered it, but they emailed this morning to say that the board is out of stock Sad so i have to start again!

Going to have a look at the deals and suggestions posted above... Like the look of the Flow Myriad. I actually think that the Myriad (a previous model) was the board I rented in La Plagne (he did actually say he was out of entry level boards but wouldn't charge me for the upgrade) if it that board, I loved it! Will investigate.

Cheers All
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just found this... http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/P/Flow_MYRIAD_Womens_Snowboard_148cm_2011-(25963).aspx

£179 with a free board bag (or half price better quality bag).... reckon that might be a go-er!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They have it in a 152 as well..... gone for it!!!
latest report
i think that sounds great for you.
I'm 5'4" and i have a 149. i had a 146 which was great for the snowdome and the park - not so good on a proper mountain.

Be very wary of something too long because it's unlikely you will have the conditions to ride it all the time (unless you live in banff or japan).

have you got any boots? bindings?
snow conditions
I know quite few females about your weight/height
they ride 146-148
The lipstick is meant to be pretty good
snow report
get a board bag with WHEELS
ski holidays
Snowboard Length

The long standing rule of thumb is to grab a board off the wall and it should hit you just under the chin. This is still a good jumping off point; however your weight is a bit more important. A snowboard acts like a leaf spring, in that it has no clue how tall the person standing on it is, but it does know how much they weigh. Below is a sizing chart with some simplified info about board length, but the best place to find this info is typically on an info sticker on the snowboard itself, because the numbers always vary from board to board.

A Snowboard Sizing Chart (but they are not all created equal)

Your Height (in)
Your Weight (lb)
Snowboard Size (cm)

<4'10"
105 - 120
120 - 135

4’10” - 5’
115 - 130
130 - 140

5’ - 5'2"
125 - 140
135 - 145

5’2” - 5'4"
135 - 150
140 - 150

5’4” - 5'6"
145 - 160
145 - 155

5’6” - 5'8"
155 - 170
150 -160

5’8” - 5'10"
165 - 180
155 - 165

6'+
185+
160 - 170

Additionally keep in mind:

For a park or freestyle board you should err on the shorter side. Shorter snowboard = easier to spin.
Beginners should also look at boards that are on the shorter side, they will be easier to maneuver.
All mountain and freeride boards you should go longer. Longer snowboard = higher speed and better float.
For all of those little up and comers you should also consider that they are still growing, so buying a bigger snowboard here is OK as long as it is not too big
http://www.eternalsnow.com/snowboard-buyers-guide.html

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 2-05-12 22:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Snowboard Width

The second measurement to make is width. For the most part, snowboards are just in two categories of width, standard and wide.

Standard width is anything under U.S. size 11.
Wide is basically anything over an U.S. 11 - 11.5 shoe size. The idea is that you do not want too much of your toe and heel to be overhanging the profile of the snowboard itself.
Keep in mind that women's and children's boards do run a bit narrower and don’t often have wide options, so women and children with bigger shoe sizes should consider going to a men's board.

Snowboard Flex

Having already made a decision about whether you are a park, freestyle, freeride, or big mountain rider, you have narrowed the decision of flex. But of course within one category you can find many different flexes. Keep in mind two main ideas:

A softer flex is going to be more forgiving which is good at the beginner level. This also makes for a board that can be manipulated easily by the rider which is good in the park.
A stiffer board is going to handle speed much better. At high speeds there are much higher forces acting on the board.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy