Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone ever been to La Plagne in summer?

Poster: A snowHead
We go skiing to La Plagne but would love to see the mountains when there is no snow on them. Obviously it would only be for a short period whilst we were touring in France, but we were wondering what there is to do.
I think that there is some white water rafting at the bottom (Bourg St Maurice), but does that last until summer.
We also wanted to have a look around the mountains.
Questions ;
1. How long is it reasonable?
2. Is there still white water rafting in July?
3. Are all of the lifts still open?
4. Is it busy, in that do all the hotels do full service meals etc. We like Aracuria for the meals but would choice be limited because it is quiet?
5. What else is there to do?
Any help much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not been to La Plagne, but have visited other resorts in the summer. I think you'd be better off staying in the valley and heading up into the mountains for trips. If you stay in the valley you can easily pick a different resort to go and have a nosey round, and everything will generally be open in the valley, some resorts can be like ghost towns in the summer, others really busy.

Some lifts are usually open for walkers and mountain bikers, definitely on the Les Arcs side as the mountain biking network is extensive (it's probably the same for La Plagne too).

La Plagne has a website for summer activities
http://www.la-plagne.com/en/summer/summer-holidays.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynne123, We spend a couple of weeks in Montalbert each summer, there is loads to do but a car allows you to do even more!
Opening dates this summer are 07/07/12 au 01/09/12
2) Rafting is at its peak in July. http://an-rafting.com/savoie-an-rafting-isere/presentation-an-rafting-savoie/acces-an-rafting-savoie
3) Some lifts open some days basically they rotate the staff around the lifts that are to open.
4) Some hotels are open, however avoid Plagne Centre this coming summer as major earthworks and lift replacement and moving is going on. imho Bellecote/Belle Plagne possibly offers the more extensive summer activities. http://www.la-plagne.com/en/summer/summer-holidays.html
5) http://www.la-plagne.com/en/summer/summer-holidays.html

If you have a car in addition to the activities on the website we always pop over to Italy for lunch!
Basically you drive down to Bourg up to La Rosiere through the Petit St Bernard pass across the border and down into Italy Very Happy
You can always drive around to Tignes for a days summer skiing up on the Glacier best early start ski until 1pm and then have lunch at a lakeside restaurant and then a round of golf!

Oh yes, remember to pack a very high factor suncream at altitude the sun can really burn!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynne123,Going to La Plagne or Les Arcs in the summer is really fun. If you want to see some of the things that people can do in the summer. Take a look at my 'Les Arcs Paradiski Summer' facebook page. It is public access so you do not need to log in. If you scan down the page for last summer you will see some links plus pics showing what some of the activities are like. Hope that helps. Very Happy

http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually have a week or two in Les Arcs during the summer and there is lots to do:

Rafting/caonoeing down the Isere is usually an option even when the resorts are closed in June. It is fantastic fun

Mountain biking is usually only viable when the lifts are open unless you want to cycle uphill. A number of ski hire shops will be renting out bikes.

Canyoning, once again this is fantastic fun, contact ArcAdeventures or one of the mountain guides. Two years ago we did Pussy Canyon (yes, that is the name) abseiling down waterfalls leaping into punge pools, brilliant fun.

Hiking, walk around the Bellecote to lac de la Plagne, stay the night in the hut overnight then continue to Champagny.

Via Ferrata. I have a group of friends who travel out to the Alps every year just for a weekend of Ferrata, buy a guidebook, or do the research on the internet, rent or buy the gear and have a fantastic time. Alternatively the mountain guides will take you.

The mountain guides will also take you mountaineering. The Vanoise was a mountaineering playground before the skiers came.

Parcour d' adventure is good fun for kids of all ages. There is a good one in the Landry valley near the old mining school.

Parraponting, the turn in the Isere valley at bourg makes Vallandry area very popular for parraponting. To have someone take you down costs about 50 euros and could induce travel sickness, but it is good to feel the earth slide away under your feet and see the resorts from the sky.

Promanade a cheval - or even a proper horse riding session can be arrnged.

Some people even take their road bicycles and emmulate the tour de france by cycling over the petit st bernard, col d'Iserian etc. - nutters

Having read the list and expereinced most of them makes you realise that the summer is actaully a pretty busy time. Go and enjoy yourself but take at least factor 50 sun cream

As hammerite, pointed out staying in the valley may be better than up in the resort. Bourg st Maurice makes an excellent base (good municipal swimming pool) as does Aime.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The area is just as magical in the summer as the winter.
This year is the Wild Water Canoe Championships on the River Isere
http://www.laplagnecanoe2012.com/fr/
It will be an amazing spectical to watch with all the top racers from around the world competing on an amazing river.
The main racing takes place between Bellentre and Aime, there is a path all the way down the side of the river and grandstands will be built.
Hopefully GB will come home with medals, so come along and support our great team

If you are camping, there is a great family campsite at Laundry http://www.campingsavoie.com/Siteanglais/Savoie/landry/eden/f1.html or at Le Versyen http://www.leversoyen.com/gb1.html opposite Super U in Bourg.
There is a great swimming lake at Le Gothard half way between Aime and Bourg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there any recommended summer camping in BsM ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Le Versyen http://www.leversoyen.com/gb1.html opposite Super U in Bourg.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cross posted with k1orange, .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
k1orange wrote:
Le Versyen http://www.leversoyen.com/gb1.html opposite Super U in Bourg.

Thanks will give them a try.

BTW: That website is something else. Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
b]lynne123[/b],If you do go to Les Arcs, take the Transarc gondola up and walk over to the Arpette restaurant. Not far. Take your swimming things. It's magical swimming along looking at the mountains. The pool is underneath the decking where in winter there are tables set out. It's free to use the pool if you are buying a drink or lunch at the restaurant. Les Arcs is well set up for family summer holidays - loads of things to do (see John E's report). The high ropes course is excellent (but knackering if you are over 30). Last summer we did Trottin'herbe which is a scooter thing - wonderful fun. Tennis courts are good. Golf Course and driving range. Outdoor pool at 1800 is a bit draughty. You can get lessons in everything. There is Archery. If you have kids you can book them into activities and hardly ever see them! What's more, apartment accommodation is very very cheap! Most of the restaurants are open but be warned, don't go in late August, it's pretty much dead then. Go in June/July/Early August.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Mountain biking is usually only viable when the lifts are open unless you want to cycle uphill. A number of ski hire shops will be renting out bikes.

True, but you can rent bikes by the River at Aime and ride along the riverside cycle path To Bourg and back again, there are riverside swimming BBQ and other faciilities roughly half way along the path at a place called Plan d'eau near Macot its an ideal spot to stop for a picnic or have a BBQ.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:

Mountain biking is usually only viable when the lifts are open unless you want to cycle uphill.

Erm, in my book, cycling uphill is part of mountain biking.

'Tis just downhill(ing) otherwise. That is usually a racing disciplin.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh forgot to mention there is topless sun bathing at the swimming lake. Suprisingly that section of the cycle always took longer
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
elj221c, +1..................I agree 100% - MTB-ing uphill is a major part of the sport............... last summer in the Alps typically 4-4.5 hours up on tracks/ paths, then 30-40 mins down (and what descents!!).............I dont get the whole "no point unless the lifts are open" argument - all you do then is traverse at altitude from the top of the lift and then bezz down late afternoon and risk getting mashed up (seen plenty of people in bits that were on really poor bikes not fit for descending at speed in the Alps.......... poor sus/ no discs/ no braided hoses etc), much better IMO to slog up and then at least have earned the descent. Generally if your fit enough to cycle up you'll have invested in a well equipped decent tough bike and be used to the terrain rather than picking one up from Halfords the weekend before the trip and deciding your Steve Peat for the day!
ski holidays
Markymark29, elj221c, ..and some of those mountain bike routes are along really stony tracks, very dangerous on a bike!
wink
ski holidays
Markymark29, I suppose it is the same argument that ski tourers use about downhill skiers. The real sport is in trecking up the hill, not those 30 minutes descent. As in skiing, the vast majority of those who are out on VTTs in La Plagne and Les Arcs use the lifts to get up and the tracks to get down and enjoy themselves in the process. Very few cycle up the hill.

The resorts like paradiski have geared up for downhill cycling, they use the lifts and provide the graded tracks for people to cycle down. The purists might object, just like the ski mountaineers, to these antics but to the rest of us it is a bit of fun.

snowyowl, snowcrazy reportas that the pool at the Arpette went a couple of seasons ago Sad
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Markymark29, elj221c, ..and some of those mountain bike routes are along really stony tracks, very dangerous on a bike!
wink

Indeed but what's life without a tad of danger?

Anyway, there aren't too many lifts where I ride in the Surrey hills, Southdowns and Wales........ wink
latest report
elj221c, or Peak District, and Yorkshire Dales..............or Arlberg that dont let you on with MTB in summer.

johnE, No problem with full-on lift served VTT descents in French Alps in summer......Alpe D-Huez, Morzine, La Plagne, Les Arcs etc etc, in fact I'd really enjoy it if I had a DH bike, I just like biking up hills and it seems to make the DH even more sweet, I run a XC full sus Orange Five Pro with 6" travel and so prefer big fast track descents rather than enduro or big drop offs/ northshores etc, but given the time and money I'd also be real keen to do some DH if I had the gear................once rode down La Daille at Val from top of Bellevarde lift, steadyish to top of downhill track start at Folle Douce then full on down the bike track, followed John Tomac and the top lads down immediately after a Grundig WC Downhill (about 1994/5), took me 2x as long as them, and I was on a rented Sunn DH bike going as fast as I could, respect to those guys, proper mad!

Its all great fun.................... Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy