Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NORTHERN IRELAND to Bourg St. Maurice - Any 'pre-used' travel machines going reasonably?

Poster: A snowHead
snowHead seeks Pre-Used Intergalactic, (Inter European at a pinch) travel/time machine at reasonable cost....,

Failing such an aquisition, I seek the brightest ideas and suggestions on the best travel plan from Northern Ireland to Bourg St. Maurice. I have rented there for the season with three other 'Bourgers' and plan to travel probably twice per month. (Pending of course, a Travel Permit from Senior Management)

Having been extremly smug and cock-a-hoop about our new direct Easyjet flight from Belfast to Geneva. I have now discovered that which was supposed to be an afternoon flight, is now an evening flight arriving at 21:35 - well after the last bus to Bourg. So now it's Dublin to Lyon, or alternatively two flights via England to either Grenoble, or Chambery.

Any other options will be warmly received! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a cheap car to share between the four of you and park it at Lyon Airport or Geneva (cheaper parking at Lyon)?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a bummer. Parking at Geneva is pretty pricey, though not quite as bad as Gatwick. Also the carparks are quite often full - you need to leave time to dash round to the emptier car park on the French side (there is now an easyjet checkin on the French side, which makes life a lot easier). Parking at Chambery is FREE, and within yards of the terminal (it is quite possible to be driving out of the airport within six minutes of landing if you only have hand baggage). But there are not nearly as many flights. Maybe a co-operative arrangement with your fellow "bourgers" to do airport runs for each other, as you will presumably not all be coming and going at the same time? The transfer taxi firms would take you, but v expensive for someone on their own (not that the buses are cheap). Somebody who knows about them might have some good ideas about trains.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or get to London and use the trains. Eurostar run all the way to BSM or fri/sat s and there are overnights as well which means you could get some rest and be in BSM by 0830 or so.

GVA and trains don't work so it would top be a bus/taxi/car from here
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Parking at Geneva is pretty pricey, though not quite as bad as Gatwick. Also the carparks are quite often full - you need to leave time to dash round to the emptier car park on the French side (there is now an easyjet checkin on the French side, which makes life a lot easier).

I'm rather surprised by that, I've never know them to be full, apart from the short term at the arrivals/departures which is a disgrace. Are you sure you know where they all are? There's a map here : http://www.gva.ch/publications/pdfs/pp.pdf
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bernard Condon, you could fly to Newcastle and try from there ? Its only a 30 minute flight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise, That map is really useful, I've downloaded it, ta Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, ditto. Finally I understand where the French sector is!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Mason, I can get to Newcastle no problem with Easyjet. What carrier and which European airport would you suggest from Newcastle? Easyjet fly Newcastle - Geneva but it is also a late flight arriving at 20:40 and unless it's a military jet it will take longer than 30 minutes!! Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paul Mason, Sorry! My error! You meant 30 minute flight from Belfast to Newcastle. Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny wrote:
ise, That map is really useful, I've downloaded it, ta Very Happy

I'd never noticed but it is useful. I should have posted that before when people have been asking how the airport was laid out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
actually there's more :

http://www.gva.ch/fr/transport/maps/plan_aerogare_aig.pdf

http://www.gva.ch/publications/pdfs/AF.pdf
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Bernard Condon, there is also Belfast->Edinburgh->Geneva with easyjet. I think the EDI->GVA flight lands about 6pm.

tbh, if there's 3 or 4 of you, car hire should be reasonably economical and will get you around the Tarentaise from Bourg.

Try http://www.fleeteurope.co.uk/main.aspx?page=wwh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise,
Quote:

I should have posted that before when people have been asking how the airport was laid out.

Now, we really have no excuses. BTW I get lost WITH a map Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was thinking the same thing about my proposed trip to tignes in November. Latest thought is to fly BFS - Luton - Geneva. Actually costs less and gets into Geneva at reasonable time.
ski holidays
Thanks for suggestions. Very Happy Have been away for a few days and will get to grips with all permutations from all airports etc tomorrow!

johnboy, Will let you know if any gems appear! One flight which may be of interest to you is a Luton - Grenoble flight (Arrives Grenoble 14:40) Grenoble is a lot closer to Tignes than Geneva.
latest report
Bernard Condon wrote:
Grenoble is a lot closer to Tignes than Geneva.

Is it? I thought Geneva was closer (at least for travelling time, if not actual distance). Maybe I should change the airport I normally fly to!
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, OOPS!! My apologies!!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed It seems closer but in fact GENEVA is closer by 28 km! I have nearly always gotten to Tignes in about 2hr 15 minutes from Grenoble, but never under 2 hr 30 min from Geneva. Puzzled
latest report
Bernard Condon, what is the drive like from Grenoble? Is it Autoroute? I usually take about 2hr 30 to get from Geneva to Les Arcs, and if Grenoble is the same time or quicker I might try that route in the future.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, To be honest I prefer Lyon (LYS) Airport which is East of Lyons itself and is Autoroute/2 Lane Highway all the way to Moutiers. Grenoble Airport is quite a long way from Grenoble City with a few route options. Check it out on the map - or better still on the AA or other Route Planner. I tend to go North from Grenoble Airport onto the A43 thence to Chambery. But depending on time of day, there are shorter, 'N' routes.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Bernard Condon, I usually take about 2hr 30 to get from Geneva to Les Arcs.....

Just a quick question, which route do you take?
Geneva to Annecy, N508 from Annecy to Albertville; N90 from Albertville to BSM?
I'm not sure on the best route from GVA to Annecy.

BTW the apartment at Chantel went, so we've ended up in Nova instead Sad
snow report
Hywel, yes, via Annecy and Albertville rather than via Chambery. I'm not sure which is actually the quickest route (I don't think there's a lot of difference) but I like the scenery along the lake!

The Nova is a bit more convenient for the resort centre, although perhaps not so convenient for skiing. I'm sure you'll have a great time there (especialy for the New Year celebrations).
snow report
Bernard Condon, my gf is from belfast and she gets over to the slopes very easily...........she lives over here now!! Simple answer move to England, it'll work out cheaper in the long run!! Toofy Grin snowHead Razz

On a serious note, why is the evening flight a no go? Surely it means you loose less holiday time for more ski time??? Can you leave the night before you were originally intending to stay that night at lyons or just outside then get to the resort early doors the next day??

British Airways can be done for around £200 return from belfast to geneva or lyon
latest report
Dan, My wife is from Co. Tyrone. She told me to come and live HERE! I hereby take the 5th Amendment and refuse to say any more on the grounds that it may incriminate me! Toofy Grin

I have rented an apartment with three others in Bourg St. Maurice for the season. Can't stay there full time but intend to have at least two weeks per month. I was hoping to use Belfast - Geneva and then use Altibus, www.altibus.com to just bus to Bourg. (Approx €80,00 return & no hassle). Problem is Easyjet Belfast flight gets to Geneva at 21:20, at which time there is no bus!

I have now opted to use Dublin - Lyons and have booked 5 trips at either £67.00, or £81.00 return, incl taxes which isn't too bad. I am hoping that the regular Lyons to Bourg bus service will be running again this year. Satobus-Alps have pulled out of running this service, but it appears Altibus may take over the routes for this coming season. If not it's bite the bullet time and use the Car Hire route. If it is split beteween 2 or 3 it may not be too bad. Very Happy snowHead

I was under the impression that flying BA from Belfast to either Geneva, or Lyons was via Manchester? BA's website is not the most user friendly.
ski holidays
Bernard Condon,

Saw this in the sundays, www.skihoppa.com. It is a gateway taxi co' I think

May be useful
latest report
JT, For some reason I was unable to directly use your link above. Typed it in manually and it came up fine. Great site, but unable to give a price for Lyons to Bourg St. Maurice, due to 'This service being updated'. I suspect they intend use the same bus service that I am hoping will be put in place by Altibus. Thanks! snowHead
ski holidays
Bernard Condon,

I typed in any old dates for BSM and could not get a quote. I then did the same for Basel to Engelberg which is 2 hrs plus on the train and about 80 odd eu return and the price for 3 came out at 700 eu for the taxi...!!!!!

Hope you have better luck..and better prices. They must be brokering local services I would have thought so you may be right.

Hmmn, odd about the link but now it does not work fo me either. Anyway, as long as you got it ...!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a look and on their front page it says they do Berne but then you can't use Berne Shocked Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, Berne, alas - it might as well be Cassablanca for all the use it is to me!!!!! Laughing snowHead
snow report
TRy this company, looks pricy though, except for bigger groups. I haven't used them, I knew they did transfers for Summer resorts, as I went to school with the owner's sister.
latest report
TRy this company, looks pricy though, except for bigger groups. I haven't used them, I knew they did transfers for Summer resorts, as I went to school with the owner's sister.
http://www.holidaytaxis.com/products.php?airportgroupid=18&airportid=80&resortid=1286&today=15&tomonth=01&toyear=2006
latest report
We have occasionally used ATS ( http://www.a-t-s.com ) for transfers. Clean decent timely and honest. Not cheap for less than 4 tho'.

GVA Annecy - Bourg - Les Arcs is the best route no question, (but don't follow the autoroute around, go direct on the 'N's to Annecy) and (at low traffic time) should always be < 3 hours - done it probably 6 - 8 times now with nary a prblem (except the ubiquitous Saturday mornings down the BSM - Moutiers valley road)

Grenoble - BstM seems to be ~ 133km, and the French autoroute service quotes it as 1hr 29 mins. See http://www.autoroutes.fr/voyage/itineraires.php?lng=2
for good route info, toll prices and petrol calculations- we are probably trying that one this winter for a "boys long weekend".
snow conditions
Bernard Condon, ryan air flights to london stanstead/luton/gatwick are ridiculously cheap at the moment - see if they help you any way, lots of flights throughout the day?? Then you can use other cheap options from those airpoirts??? you need to book by midnight 13th Oct but at 0.75 euro each way + tax it's worth a look? Cool
ski holidays
Thanks Dan, I have 'Hubbed' through London before, but I have been caught out a few times with my incoming Belfast, or City of Derry delayed. Sad Believe me when I say it cost an arm and two legs! I have had to buy tickets for later flights and they are NOT cheap! In circumstances such as this they charge top fare and there's no option but to pay it! I have been tempted again this year, but decided to err on the cautious side and opt for one direct flight! snowHead
snow report
Bernard Condon,

What part of our fair Province are you from? I'm from Coleraine.
ski holidays
johnboy, I am what is termed a 'Blow-in' - currently residing in Tyrone!! snowHead
snow conditions
Bernard Condon,

You'll have to get upto the Sperrins for a spot of ski-ing!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy