Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Neoprene face masks

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Winter Park on January 21st and am in little doubt that it will be cold. Have skied in quite harsh conditions before and even with hood and collar all the way up there's always a bit of the face and nose exposed, which tends to sting in a blizzard. I have seen neoprene face masks that look like they would keep the elements at bay (although coupled with helmet and goggles I may look like a Power Ranger).

Anyone with any opinions on these or any recommendations? S & R do one that is combined with a scarf, but I don't like scarves and find that the high and snug collar on my mid-layer does the neck thing quite adequately.

Comments appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
conor, yes, they are a great idea for cold days in WP.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks. Do you have any recommendations? I imagine there would be a wider choice in shops in WP so I might buy there. Some people on this site have criticised them for not being very breathable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
conor,

I use a turtle neck which will pull up over the nose and they have a cord tie, which is not ideal but may take the sting out of frost-bite conditions.
I believe North Face or Mountain Equip' do a balaclava which my friends prefer to the neoprene mask
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rusty, will I need one for late feb march ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
conor, I've got one - but never really needed it. Last year in Canada I just put a balaclava on, then hat, then goggles. Seemed to work OK, and gets rid of the wet/icey bit round your mouth.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
conor, Get a proper neoprene one - not a cloth one, as they won't keep you as warm. Also get one that fits with your goggles/helmet. As for brands, there are a few available - I can't remember what brand mine is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I prefer the neck gaiter - the masks can be a bit uncomfortable and restricting in comparison, while you can pull the neck gaiter up or down according to conditions...

Most kids certainly prefer the neck gaiters to the masks mainly because of comfort. Just as warm too, I reckon, when combined with goggles.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When the wind is blowing and it is really cold and the snow is being whipped up off the surface I do find having your cheeks covered is a god-send. I've got a balaclava zipped into the neck of my jacket - didn't bring it out one day last year when I really should have done and boy did my cheeks suffer. It was like they'd been sprayed with gravel. Ever since then I have no hesitation in putting it on and used it quite a lot in Canada. I don't know about recommending one type of face covering from another, whatever you're comfortable with, but I would get something.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tried a fleece muffler whilst in the states. Not good results as it froze to my cheeks. The weather was a bit nippy mind. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am with PG, on this one. I bought a neck gaiter in Stowe out of necessity as the temperature was - F for two or three days which is F cold especially with a strong wind blowing.

The neck gaiter does a good job and can easily be pulled down if you get a bit warm.

CP
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
During last January ' s cold snap we bought both mufflers and neoprene masks. I prefer the mask although the wet 'sensation' around the mouth isn't particularly nice. Added advantage in that looking like Hannibal Lecteur you frighten little kids off Twisted Evil

We bought all in resort - more choice there than necessary. Dirt cheap
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Being visually challenged I have to wear glasses under my goggles....I find they steam up with my neoprene mask so I never bother to wear it....don't have a problem with the neck gaiter as it's easy to pull down to get a breath of air through the goggles to de-mist!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about one of those cycle face masks for traffic fumes? I'm not sure I could wear anything over my face when exercising but I don't suffer from the cold too much, when it's blasting bitter I find neck gaiter / hood / helmet /goggles combo suffuicient.

The cycle masks must filter very efficiently and therefore, I guess, might not have such a *huge* moisture issue, but might help pretect more of your skin...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies. Will get something when we get to WP. Not sure what neck gaiters are though, but I'm loathe to have anything round my neck other than my high neck midlayer.
snow report
conor, neck gaiters are cloth, and not much good at very low temps, as you may well experience at the top of Timberline.
ski holidays
I have a neoprene mask but can't be bothered with it any more, I don't find it that nice to wear. Even in the cold, I just stuff my face in my jacket on the lifts and cop the cold when I ski. I do have the neck warmer thing, although I don't pull it up high and I only wear that on a proper -10 or worse day.
snow report
flicksta, I've skiied in WP with temps at well into the -20s and at times -30s, and that's before the wind kicks in...
snow report
When your skis stick to the snow and your hands and feet never warm up? I'm out in that, but not for long. Still don't like the facemask thing.
latest report
flicksta, kinda, but it's also when your face freezes if it's not totally covered, and you end up getting mild frostbite on the little gap you didn't notice between your goggles and mask on your cheek...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, use a pinch and -40's nicely balmy.
snow report
I have a few neck gaiters and one of them is gore-tex so will be wind proof enough if the others don't work. It has a draw cord so will double as a make-shift hat. I carry it as essential spares in the pack
snow report
Honest truth - I tried the neoprene masks... ..didn't work for me coz the tip of my nose stuck out and froze like a bad thing! Try the darn things on before you buy them. If you are probosically beautiful, and gifted with an aquiline schnozz, then it may not be for you,
snow report
I've got a fleece lined neoprene mask and although it keeps the face toasty it just doesn't breathe enough. after one run in Lech last hols it caused my goggles to steam up and then the inside of them froze... which meant coffee time and a defrost
snow report
I've got a fleece lined neoprene mask and although it keeps the face toasty it just doesn't breathe enough. after one run in Lech last hols it caused my goggles to steam up and then the inside of them froze... which meant coffee time and a defrost
ski holidays
I love my thin balaclava that goes under my helmet, makes all the difference when it gets rather chilly in canada in December.
ski holidays
I use a neck gaiter. Granted that some conditions may be too cold for them, but I've yet to find them, however, I've not been skiing in America in January very much.
snow report
Thanks again folks. Lots of mixed views. I am the sort of person who hates being constricted with too many layers, so I think I will just go, find out how cold it is when I get there and buy something if I have to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
conor, pretty gentle way to tell us you couldn't use a bit of our blather. I like it. snowHead Laughing Razz
ski holidays
Ive always used a turtle fur neck gaiter and neoprene mask in extreme conditions (Banff area in January): they really do the job, although the worst part is always the ride up on exposed lifts (like the top half of Goats Eye).

The only problem I get is when I have a runny nose: there's nothing quite so disgusting as having a snotsicle hanging down from the nose vent of the mask. (My neoprene job is named, incidentally, after our very own Masque
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy