Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing A Powder Ski - Chose WhiteDot Directors then impulse bought Coreupt Bangers as well!

Poster: A snowHead
^ wouldn't get them mounted until you have your boots.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now time to buy that big coat and thermal underwear tog6
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alans deep bath - how come? I know I'm around an 11 boot size from all the rental boots I've been in, and apparently for that the standard BSL is 335mm. I thought that there'd be some adjustability to that so they'll fit when I get my boots?

Cynic - I'm all sorted on that front lol
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you get boots properly fitted they'll almost definitely be a different size.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah that's something to think about then, I'd assumed they'd be able to adjust enough to accomodate for that. This is a new thing I had not considered, but I guess I'll buy the bindings separately and get it mounted in Canada - if I'm lucky that won't cost too much as I'll be buying another set of skis, boots and bindings at the same time too.

What would be a good recommended binding for WhiteDot directors? As I'm 75kg and would say my aggressiveness is average, would I likely need anything with DIN settings that go past 12?

Edit: I see some Salomon STH 16 bindings going for £120, good deal?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DannyB01, You won't really need above 12. I'm considerably heavier than you and ski sub 10 (admittedly dialed down to protect my knees) most of the time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob - had a feeling I wouldn't need any higher, my real concern is getting the skis with bindings mounted or not. I've got a pair of the Directors on reserve til 5pm now, but need to decide on the bindings. It'd be about £120 for a pair of Tyrolia Peak 15 bindings mounted, but maybe I should get a pair of different bindings on sale from somewhere and mount them when I'm in Canada.

All opinions will be extremely helpful, I'm definitely in need of advice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DannyB01, I'm 74kg and my DIN is 9 (could be 8 actually, not sure). Your boot size will affect it slightly, but really doubt you'd be above 10.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 - that's cool, I won't worry about DINs then. But if I got them to mount the bindings for me, and my boot size ends up say, 1cm different than I expect (335mm is suggested for uk 11/11.5 which is my size) would it be adjustable or would I need to get them remounted?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DannyB01, 11.5/11 probably won't be your size if that's what size hire boots you've been using.

Just take th Tyrolia's, good price for a good binding.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alans deep bath - I can't quite remember what size hire boots I had, which isn't very helpful! Generally how different do you find fitted boots to be in terms of size?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fitted boots tend to drop at least one Mondo size as you'll have some that fit the width of your foot more accurately and won't rely on extra length to achieve the right volume.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DannyB01 wrote:

Also, I'm buying my pair of boots out in Canada but I'm around a UK 11 (11.5 really), so using the boot sizing chart apparently I'm about 335mm BSL, am I safe to use that for information getting them mounted?

If you're in Fernie, for boots go to TopShelf (assuming thet TopShelf there has the same rep. as TopShelf in Whistler, which it probably does as that's where it started).
Still not quite managed to blow $1500 on my TS1 boots yet due to a bit of an ankle mangling, but those in the know go there.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 27-04-12 16:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was wondering when the binding question would pop up... wink
I have Rossi/look bindings on my skis (Pivots).
They are very good bindings and the extra elasticity saves your knees whilst keeping you in the binding without having to super crank them.
Only slight downside is that the dildo bit is quite hard to poke with a pole (with powder baskets) when dangling upside down in a tree well.

As a guide, in Vancouver/Whistler the shops don't charge a whole lot for mounting bindings - can't remember exactly, but something in the order of $25-$50
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
According to the WhiteDot person I'm speaking to the Tyrolia Peak bindings should have enough leeway in them and Markers would have about 10mm either way. They'll mount the Tyrolias for free and that way I get to look at the completed thing over summer so it sounds like a good idea! Fortunately my shoe size is pretty much between 11 and 12, so I can afford for the fitted boot to be a bit shorter anyway, so I'll go with 335mm and expect it can be adjusted slightly if it needs to be.

stuarth - I'll go there then, wasn't expecting to spend $1500 on boots though, that's crazy! I know I should definitely go for some decent boots though, and apparently Nonstop course people get a slight discount at some places so I can splash out a little more. I can see the value of having a $1500 pair of ski boots but by the time I've done enough days to wear out the liners in my first set of boots I reckon my foot'll be slightly different (I'm paranoid they're getting smaller! haha), and hopefully by then I'll be able to spend more money on my ski stuff too.
ski holidays
Just a thought - when you join CSIA, won't you get pro price for stuff out in Canada? Or don't they do that up there?
snow report
skinanny, CSIA Proform for L1 is pretty limited plus the best stuff goes early in the season, before he'll be qualified.
ski holidays
skinanny - I think so yeah, but I won't be on CSIA until I've passed the exam unless they allow it for people while training? Whichever case, these are supposed to be the easier ski to buy (not quite sure what happened really haha) and I'm going to get my piste skis when I'm out there so I can test a few different lengths and models to make a more informed decision. And the price I'm getting on these is so good I don't think it could be beaten in a shop, I'm chuffed to bits with it if I'm honest.
snow report
DannyB01 wrote:

stuarth - I'll go there then, wasn't expecting to spend $1500 on boots though, that's crazy! I know I should definitely go for some decent boots though, and apparently Nonstop course people get a slight discount at some places so I can splash out a little more. I can see the value of having a $1500 pair of ski boots but by the time I've done enough days to wear out the liners in my first set of boots I reckon my foot'll be slightly different (I'm paranoid they're getting smaller! haha), and hopefully by then I'll be able to spend more money on my ski stuff too.

I did find this price a bit of a "speed-bump' in my route to boot perfection, but then I considered my current ones weren't that far off the $1000 mark (in fact I think they were reasonably well over it too).
However when you factor in a top-end shell, whole lot of high end custom bootfitting work, a custom foam liner, custom footbeds, and a pretty good guarantee, then actually it works out pretty decent value.
You'll be surprised at how quick you can go through (at least the liners) of a regular boot in a season when you ski most days. My previous, previous (also pretty decent) boots were done in about a season and a bit
snow report
stuarth - I'd definitely consider them if I weren't on a student budget! haha Thing is $1500 is more money than I have in the world right now. Sad
snow conditions
DannyB01 wrote:
stuarth - I'd definitely consider them if I weren't on a student budget! haha Thing is $1500 is more money than I have in the world right now. Sad

Very Happy

I'm not quite on a student budget, but still I think mrsh thought I had lost the plot when I said I was going to spend that much (+tax!) on ski boots Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 27-04-12 17:52; edited 2 times in total
latest report
DannyB01, Marker Jesters are a good choice of binding, but might be worth looking at the classifieds on here as there are often great deals on new or nearly new bindings.

"the Jester is very good at transferring powder due to its wide toe size"

powder on the brain Laughing
snow report
Danny bo1 look on th sport conrad website theyve got coreUPT skis all at 99 euros ive just got myself some slashers 124 euros delivered to the uk
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
DannyB01, Marker Jesters are a good choice of binding, but might be worth looking at the classifieds on here as there are often great deals on new or nearly new bindings.

"the Jester is very good at transferring powder due to its wide toe size"

powder on the brain Laughing

haha yup! Laughing You make a good point actually, I imagine if I search around here I could pick some bindings up from someone cheaper than retail and just get them mounted out in Canada. I doubt they'd charge much if I'm already buying a pair of skis and bindings from the shop anyway, and around $30 is worth not risking having to redrill the skis I suppose. I'll probably just buy the skis then and keep an eye out for some killer deals at some point. Seems like everywhere's getting well into its end of season sales too so in a couple of weeks the prices might be very low some places anyway.

Huckacliff duckabranch - I thought abou it and it's very tempting, but I've put all this effort into researching what ski's perfect for what I want and finding a deal and think I'll stick with the directors at 300 euros. I was still tempted to buy a pair of coreupt skis anyway at that price, but then remembered I wouldn't get ski carriage for 3 pairs of skis. Confused
ski holidays
DannyB01 wrote:
.....I was still tempted to buy a pair of coreupt skis anyway at that price, but then remembered I wouldn't get ski carriage for 3 pairs of skis. Confused

You could if you used Quiver Killer inserts to share one set of bindings
snow report
spyderjon - oh no don't tempt me! I looked on TGR and the same offer was on sport-conrad last year (everything CoreUPT reduced to 99euros) so I'll grab a pair when I have a bit more money, and a bit more knowledge of what else I want in my quiver (likely the Born To Drop model, they look pretty sick).
snow report
Huckacliff duckabranch - I thought abou it and it's very tempting, but I've put all this effort into researching what ski's perfect for what I want and finding a deal and think I'll stick with the directors at 300 euros. I was still tempted to buy a pair of coreupt skis anyway at that price, but then remembered I wouldn't get ski carriage for 3 pairs of skis. Confused[/quote]

with out reading everything that been written in thread, what pow skis you going for and what you already got in your quiver?
snow conditions
Huckacliff duckabranch - going with the WhiteDot Directors, I've fallen in love with the design and they've had one of the best receptions of any ski I've looked into - the recommendations from people on here have really convinced me. Alan posted a picture of his on page 2 of the thread. So far I have nothing in my quiver, I'm not going to be skiing til late november, but I'll be buying a pair of performance carvers or something in Fernie when I arrive, I'm most tempted by the Head Titans and Fischer Progressor 1000s at the moment but I'll see what the 2013 season (and a bit of trying them out) brings.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DannyB01 wrote:

Huckacliff duckabranch - I thought abou it and it's very tempting, but I've put all this effort into researching what ski's perfect for what I want and finding a deal and think I'll stick with the directors at 300 euros. I was still tempted to buy a pair of coreupt skis anyway at that price, but then remembered I wouldn't get ski carriage for 3 pairs of skis. Confused

Good price.
latest report
DannyBO1, pick up either of those Vist bindings that are for sale in Buy, Sell, Exchange, and get them mounted with Quiver Killers. I would imagine that your DIN is in the 6 - 8 range, as you're fairly light but have big feet Smile, so either pair would be fine. I have Vist 614s on my WDFs, and the're great bindings. And whoever invented Quiver Killers should be awarded the Nobel Prize for skiing. They're brilliant when you have to cart around several skis.

Ad others have said, when you get properly fitted boots, you'll drop at least one Mondo size (there's around 1cm difference in BSL per Mondo point). Colin at Solutions4feet managed to get both my wife and son into one size smaller boots than they previously skied in. So if you get the bindings mounted for the BSL of the rental boots you've been using, you could have a problem setting the correct forward pressure if you drop a Mondo point with your new boots. And shoe size doesn't correspond to correctly fitted ski boot size. My shoe size is about the same as yours - 10.5/11, but my feet are squeezed into 28.5 ski boots.

So buy the Vists on offer here, get new boots, get Quiver Killers and drill the skis for the BSL of your new boots. Then drool over the skis for the rest of the year in anticipation.
And get ready to be astounded by how good those Directors will be once you ski them in anger.

And if you're going to get new boots, why don't you go and see Colin if you're not too far from Bicester? It really is worth the trip.
ski holidays
[quote="DannyB01"]the_doc, I think I need them! haha Do you work for White dot? Thinking about it I did think the Preacher sounds suited for what I'm after also, but if you'd recommend with the Director I'll stick with that as my choice.[/quote

Hey DannyBo1, my name's Paul and I'm actually one of the owners hence the fact I wouldn't be confortable comparing our skis to other brands, to be honest anyway it would be pretty pointless as what I prioritise in a ski might be totally different, etc. Anyway, I've heard nothing but good about Fernie, really sounds like my kind of place, powder and trees...my favourite...be sure to post some photies of the trip up here when you can and make everyone jealous!
ski holidays
DannyB01 wrote:
I'll be buying a pair of performance carvers or something in Fernie when I arrive, I'm most tempted by the Head Titans and Fischer Progressor 1000s at the moment but I'll see what the 2013 season (and a bit of trying them out) brings.

Regarding piste skis, I found this to be a very useful review (Canadian based - test was in Silver Star):-

http://skicanadamag.com/ski-tests/ski-test-2012/on-piste-cruisers-2012

I was also looking for a second high performance piste ski, with Head Titans and Fischer Progressors very high on my shortlist. When I was reading various reviews of the Progressors, the 900 seemed to be favoured over the 1000 by some. Real Skiers review below:-

"This (Progressor 900) may turn out to be the favorite Progressor. Not as powerful as the 1000 and more lively. More expensive than the 800, but another great skill ski and a superb choice for working instructors and coaches. We really like it." "Much more pop than the 1000, great on ice, lively."

As for Head Titans, I tried a demo pair in the MK fridge this week and it seems like a great choice. Pretty impressive carving weapon as you would expect and not too demanding - in fact really easy to ski. I've tried Magnums too, but think the extra width of the Titans is worthwhile for the soft Canadian pistes. One thing that very slightly puts me off the Titans/Magnums is the topsheet durability. Whenever you see them in hire shops, they always look a mess with often large chips out of the topsheets - only cosmetic, but doesn't look nice. The pair I tried in the fridge seemed okay though, although they've probably had an easy life.

So anyway I was just about to pull the trigger on the Titans a few weeks ago and then I saw Edge & Wax had Movement Le Fers in their sales and made a snap decision to go for those instead. They've still got them in 170 cm at £351 inc bindings (£649 RRP), so got to be worth a look (NOTE: Snowheads discount code now also works on sale items, so will be even cheaper!). Haven't actually skied them yet, but dimensions look ideal for a West Canada piste ski i.e. 77 waist and a decent shovel up front. Movement skis are always top quality too, with truly bombproof topsheets. They are standing behind my desk as a I write and really look the business. As a bonus, very distinctive graphics too - far nicer than the boring Head or Fischer logos! I know it doesn't matter a toss, but it helps Smile

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/28960/products/movement_le_fer_skis_and_binding.aspx

"This (Movement Le Fer) is a serious 'dark horse' ski. Few were testing it at the annual ski test as Movement are not known for piste carvers, but we were lucky we spotted it at the ski show and asked to try it out, because it is a little fire cracker. Scott rates it as his piste ski of the year, and when his choice last year was the i.Supershape Magnum, Fall Line piste ski of the year, which is a stunning ski, it says a lot about the Le Fer. Matching this with the Marker 12.0 Glide bindings is perfect for a light weight carver that still offers huge edge hold."
snow report
DannyB01, would you not consider a slalom or a gs ski for your piste ski? you'll find nothing to compare to a race ski on groomers
ski holidays
Huckacliff duckabranch, would make life difficult if trying to pass exams.
ski holidays
Alans deep bath, yes see what youre saying, didnt realise it was for exams and not just ripping
ski holidays
Skier from Argentina - thanks for such a great post! Yeah I think I'll pick up the Vist 412s if they're still on here, or at least make an offer. I do want the quiver killers too but I wouldn't be too sure how to fit them in, I guess if I bought some from Jon here then I can bring them to Canada and they can do it for me when they mount the skis. I think I'm going to get my boughts made in Canada, as I'm not going to be skiing beforehand, that way if I have any problems I can go back to the shop and discuss it with them which seems like a safe bet. If I can't wait though I'll get them made in Bicester, I don't think it's too far away, and then I'll go get some snow dome skiing in at milton keynes or something (I can see that being what happens really!).

the_doc - will do, I'll probably keep a bit of a blog or something on how it's all going. Smile

uktrailmonster - thanks for that post, very helpful. I've looked at most of those skis in the Canadian article but I'll go with Progressor 900s over 1000s if I get Fischer skis. The Salomon Mustangs look good and stand out for me there too. If I had a bit more money I think I'd snap up those Movement Le Fers though, because that's an extremely good price. Unfortunately all the money I'll have left after getting the Directors and bindings will need to go towards getting through to the end of term!

Huckacliff duckabranch - yeah I'd love a ski to rip on, but really need a ski that I can do exams on as well as teach at ball-achingly slow speeds. Laughing I'm hoping the majority of ripping I do will be in powder while in Fernie, for the 2014 season if I'm lucky enough to take a month off I might get a race ski and go to europe with it. But that's me planning ahead a bit too much I think!
snow report
DannyB01, what ski you looking at for teaching on? i had a go on someones scott aztec pro's they seemd a nice ski for teaching on, didnt have to push them to hard to turn them and handled all conditions apart from the real ice fairly well and held up at speed
snow conditions
Huckacliff duckabranch - I'm not sure yet, I really like Fischer as a company and think their Progressor 900s sound ideal now, also the K2 chargers sound alright and the Salomon Mustangs. I'm really not sure though. I'll be out in Fernie for a month before I start my course, so I'll test as many skis as I can while I'm out there and make a good decision. Something that's easy to use at low speeds, has an underfoot around the mid 70s and a turning radius not too much over 15m I think would be ideal. Any money I can save on the ski also I'll use to buy gear so if it turns out the Directors are great for everything I want to do in my free time I'll probably go with a slightly cheaper ski rather than spending all my cash on them. There were some cheap dynastar skis mentioned by Ski Canada magazine which also sound pretty good.
snow conditions
DannyB01 wrote:

Donnie in TopShelf Fernie fits 'ordinary' boots as well as the TS1. Brian in Whistler just does the custom boot and Fischer race boots.
latest report
Kenny wrote:
DannyB01 wrote:

Donnie in TopShelf Fernie fits 'ordinary' boots as well as the TS1. Brian in Whistler just does the custom boot and Fischer race boots.

I figured somewhere in fernie would fit boots for people with a bit less of a budget. Hopefully I can pick some up for just a few hundred dollars, but those TS1s do sound incredible. Someday...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy