Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing A Powder Ski - Chose WhiteDot Directors then impulse bought Coreupt Bangers as well!

Poster: A snowHead
the_doc, I think I need them! haha Do you work for White dot? Thinking about it I did think the Preacher sounds suited for what I'm after also, but if you'd recommend with the Director I'll stick with that as my choice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just bought some Directors and they're so purdy. Wink

Damn that Spyderjon!!! Very Happy

FWIW, I think your approach is the right one. If you're going to be spending lots of time on snow, use different skis for different conditions. Good luck with your choice, it looks like its a hard one to make!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rishie - thanks Rishie! Seems like if I were to go on the support for them alone I'd be making a good choice - everyone seems to love them! lol
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stiv24, I looked at Whitedot Directors v Line SFB. I went for the SFBs in the end mainly because I was already familiar with similar Line skis and didn't have chance to demo either. Worth noting that they have quite different sidecuts i.e. SFB 17.7m v Director 27m in the longest lengths. SFBs are a bit shorter too i.e. 184 v 188 longest. Having spent a month on the SFBs in mainly powder conditions I certainly wasn't disappointed. They are awesome in tight trees and pretty versatile for a big ski. In fact they sound a lot like the_doc's description of the Director.

NB: If you ride switch at all, I'd suggest the SFB is your best bet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has anybody been on a pair of the HSFR Rockers?

I like both the standard HSFR and the un rockered HSFR Wide.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, not skied the SFB and I'm not much of a park rat but the Directors are comfortable riding around switch and with switch take offs and landings in the park.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rishie, If you got them from Syderjon have him hot-box them for you, he did my WD Redeemers and theyre awesome!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alans deep bath, I'm sure the Directors are fine switch, I only mentioned riding switch because SFBs are specifically designed to be ridden backwards as much as forwards i.e. symmetrical flex, near centred standard mount point etc. If you watch any Pollard videos you'll soon see why. In fact SFBs are geared toward riding switch to the point where it might even slightly compromise their forward performance - although in reality it doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm no Park rat either BTW, it's just an observation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 - I'm not sure what hot-boxing is, could you enlighten me? Does Spyderjon have a website I should look at?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DannyB01, http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/50/72/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks kitenski, looks like he sold out now anyway, though that hotboxing technique sounds awesome. If I get them I think it'll be from Alan now, just gonna spend a bit of time rethinking it all so I'm sure I make the right choice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't think, do Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DannyB01, like the_doc I won't comment on the merits of the Director against other brands but I will say that the Director has become my 'go to' ski. I have spent 80% of the season on the Directors (despite mainly only having access to a pre-production prototype from before the final improvements, as the production skis were heading for a sell out, and not to be wasted on me), the other 20% of the time was 2014 ski prototyping or the occasional day when the snow was so deep anything but a Redeemer seemed immoral. In other words when I had the choice I went for the Director.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PS: So did my wife - now I've got to get her a pair rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc wrote:
Has anybody been on a pair of the HSFR Rockers?

I like both the standard HSFR and the un rockered HSFR Wide.

Weird, but I just couldn't get on with the HSFR. I know they must be great skis, a number of people who's opinion I respect love them, but they and I just couldn't gel. Never tried the rockered though, must give them a go when I get the chance.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, thanks for the info, both skis sound like they'd tick all my boxes. I wonder if the Directors are as responsive in the trees? I'm favouring the SFB's but I've been offered a killer deal on the directors. Decisions, decisions!
ski holidays
stiv24, No worries, can't speak for Directors, but SFBs turn super quick in trees. I think the central mounting point helps a lot, they feel very short and pivot ridiculously easy in deep snow. They turn pretty quick on piste too with their sidecut and double rocker. They are a really easy ski to get on with.

Edit: Mine are the 184s, but from where you stand they look like 170s out front and they feel really nimble.
snow conditions
midgetbiker - thanks for your opinion there, really appreciate it, I'm gonna guess the obvious and assume you both work for White Dot? It's great to have such experts here to help, I really appreciate your input. I'm not exactly after a one ski quiver as such but from what I can tell the Director does it all without really any compromise so it's just a plus. It does sound like the right sort of width for a powder ski for me, at my ability level anything fatter sounds detrimental for me in the long run - I'd like to think that in deep powder I'm not going to be too heavy at 75kg to wish I had a fatter ski. 188cm does sound quite long, which is one of the only features I'm still questioning. The other is entirely aesthetic, I think it's got one of the coolest designs I've seen for a ski and I'm all over slightly metero purple colour, but I just don't want it to be too pink (ie I'm worried about people thinking I'm on girls skis like in the snowshephard review lol). I guess the other thing is if I should just stick to the Access for being cheaper, but I'd still take the girliest pink colour white dot design over the atomic access's design.
ski holidays
DannyB01, it's really purple although I'm sure there was chat about keeping it pink Laughing
latest report
Alans deep bath - they look sexy. Laughing So the only thing is I'm intimidated by the length, having not skiied anything much over 167cm piste skis before, 188cm sounds like a pretty extreme step up - and 10cm taller than I am!
snow conditions
DannyB01, There's quite a lot of rocker on them, so not all that 188 is on the ground (apart form in pow, where it's purely and advantage).
snow conditions
DannyB01, there's no such thing as a powder ski . . .they're called snowboards and you only need one of them Twisted Evil
snow conditions
DannyB01, another vote for Kenny and the Access. Great ski. If you want to ski steeps too the 100mm waist provides enough edge control. Anything wider on real steep stuff I find a little fiddly. Could just be me though.
latest report
DannyB01, I'm also 5ft 10" and my powder ski is 191cm.
snow report
Don't overthink this people. Any wide/rockered ski is better than a skinnier trad ski when it comes to pow unless you're really into the "in the snow not on it"* theory or trying to prove a point about how core you are. wink

* which is bollux BTW for a lot of fresh snowfall which isn't light enough to be really "in it" especially in Europe.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
DannyB01, there's no such thing as a powder ski . . .they're called snowboards and you only need one of them Twisted Evil

or perhaps 2... Shocked Madeye-Smiley
http://www.fat-ypus.ca/home/a-lotta.php
latest report
DannyB01, I sent a lady out on the 178's my wife was using, she was an early inter and no more than a slim 5'2". She was intimidated by the length as she was stepping off narrower 151's but two runs later wants to place an order. Draw your own conclusions but I'ld be putting you on the 188's if they are only 10cm taller than you are.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Don't overthink this people. Any wide/rockered ski is better than a skinnier trad ski when it comes to pow unless you're really into the "in the snow not on it"* theory or trying to prove a point about how core you are. wink

* which is bollux BTW for a lot of fresh snowfall which isn't light enough to be really "in it" especially in Europe.

To an extent I'm not quite sure it is exactly an all about size thing
Just like any other ski there's a whole load of preference and suiting to skier style/ability.

For example, for kenny an access (or it's faster girls version, the century) is a perfect powder ski, but perhaps his style is less agressive and turns far prettier than mine, so for me the big rockered ski is the way forward.

In my miserly 39 days on the slopes at whistler this year, most of them were on my Redeemers; I love them, they are the best hooning ski, but still also a ski anywhere ski. They do have a slight downside in that they are a super stable platform which encourages you to forget your ability (or lack of) and seem to have an auto-huck-land feature that if (or rather when) you get carried away can result in operator damage Madeye-Smiley
They are the first rockered skis I've had and it is amazing how easy they are to turn in tight spots, bumps etc. (though littleh and his 90cm skis seems to be able to find some trees for me that challenge the limits of 190cm skis (and me)!). You pay for this slightly if you then try to carve high speed turns on the groomers, but heh...
The other thing I like about them, which again comes to my point about personal preference, is the shape, or rather not having too much of it, and the shape it does have is in the right place. I find the powder skis with bigger shovels/more shape get a bit too squirelly in some conditions for my liking
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for continuing to help me, even though I'm showing myself to be the most indecisive person in the world. At this point the WhiteDot directors sound like the perfect ski for me and are what I want, but if I weren't to manage to get those (seems they're out of stock a lot of places) I'm not sure what my backup would be. Probably the Line SFBs though they seem out of stock nearly eveywhere too. I like the sound of the Atomic Access but after thinking about it more I'm still not wholly convinced about the narrower underfoot and also really not keen on the design.
snow conditions
DannyB01, PM me your mob number and I'll tell you about the deal I was offered.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, How tall are you? I'm 5'10 would I go for the same size as you instead of the 178's?
latest report
DannyB01, speak to Whitedot (pm dot. on here or email them).
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
DannyB01, speak to Whitedot (pm dot. on here or email them).

+1 that. Great customer service from Whitedot.
ski holidays
This is great, thanks everyone! A couple of people have made me offers now and I spoke to Jon who may be able to help if I decide I must have new ones or something - I thought I'd say that so no one thinks I'm trying to get a deal behind their back or anything. Little Angel Key thing is I'm now extremely happy that I'll be skiing on the directors, yay!
snow report
DannyB01 wrote:
Key thing is I'm now extremely happy that I'll be skiing on the directors, yay!

...and better still, skiing them in the Canadian pow (hopefully, if next season is anything like this one was!) snowHead
latest report
stuarth wrote:

For example, for kenny an access (or it's faster girls version, the century) is a perfect powder ski, but perhaps his style is less agressive and turns far prettier than mine, so for me the big rockered ski is the way forward.

I thought I had the girls version Shocked . Now I'm scared.
snow report
stuarth - let's hope 7 months of me crossing my fingers for it will actually help! lol
snow report
stuarth wrote:

In my miserly 39 days on the slopes at whistler this year, most of them were on my Redeemers; I love them, they are the best hooning ski, but still also a ski anywhere ski. They do have a slight downside in that they are a super stable platform which encourages you to forget your ability (or lack of) and seem to have an auto-huck-land feature that if (or rather when) you get carried away can result in operator damage Madeye-Smiley

That's funny, as I've also found that the biggest "problem" with both my Preachers and Redeemers is the way that they convince you to ski way beyond your talent level, but then have the uncanny ability to hold your hand (and feet) whilst doing so. And when the inevitable wreck looms on the horizon, the build in auto pilot/mistake corrector takes over, and suddenly you're still upright, on two skis, and back on track. Weird really.
snow conditions
Skier from Argentina, stuarth, Very Happy
snow report
After an awesome tip-off I might be getting these from the factory if I'm lucky. I wouldn't know what bindings to choose though from my options though, if you guys were to have this choice, would you go with the Tyrolia Peak 15 or Marker Jester? The former is considerably cheaper, but apparently the Jester is very good at transferring powder due to its wide toe size. I'm tempted to go with the Tyrolias to save a bit of money towards my primary pair of skis really, and I won't notice much of a difference myself I don't think, also people seem to say their very good anyway.

Also, I'm buying my pair of boots out in Canada but I'm around a UK 11 (11.5 really), so using the boot sizing chart apparently I'm about 335mm BSL, am I safe to use that for information getting them mounted?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy