Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't forget to check your bindings...

Poster: A snowHead
Not good if the bindings are set to hard but to loose is not that good either wink

http://youtube.com/v/6xT6Aeygsd4&hd=1
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mackar, Oh dear... that's a long walk back up Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Happy I hope some kind person brought your skis down to you and you didn't have to walk all the way back up!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Probably better than going the other way i.e. DIN set too high-seen some nasty injuries due this and punters not knowing any better....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mackar, you need to learn how to self-arrest. In this case you only had a waaaay longer hike back up than you needed to. On more exposed terrain you could have been over a cliff (or steep dropoff at the side of the piste) and the consequences would be much more serious. Rather than sliding down on your ar$e, roll onto your front, stick toes into the snow and push-up (gently if you are going a fair speed to avoid tomahawking).

Grizwald, depends on the terrain. If on steeps, it's often a better option to risk a twisted knee than increase the likelihood of an unexpected pre-release. Even if on-piste, if you're skiing at a high performance level there are significant chances of twisting/breaking something in a fall from a pre-release.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN wrote:
mackar, you need to learn how to self-arrest. In this case you only had a waaaay longer hike back up than you needed to. On more exposed terrain you could have been over a cliff (or steep dropoff at the side of the piste) and the consequences would be much more serious. Rather than sliding down on your ar$e, roll onto your front, stick toes into the snow and push-up (gently if you are going a fair speed to avoid tomahawking).
I had some friends behind me so I knew they would pick up my skies Happy Usually I don't have any problems to stop but this time the piste was really frozen and hard under 2-3 cm of melted snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mackar, serves you right for knicking someones skis outside the Moos Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski wrote:
Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boabski wrote:
Haha Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The rental skis had the DIN level set to 7. I bought a pair of those skis this weekend and the shop had set the DIN level to 9.5 after my weight, ski ability and how "aggresive" I ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mackar wrote:
The rental skis had the DIN level set to 7. I bought a pair of those skis this weekend and the shop had set the DIN level to 9.5 after my weight, ski ability and how "aggresive" I ski.
mackar, Sue the rental shop for trauma wink you have the proof Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher wrote:
mackar wrote:
mackar, Sue the rental shop for trauma wink you have the proof Toofy Grin
It should be worth a season pass at least Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mackar, you just...kept on going! haha Looked fun though. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DannyB01 wrote:
mackar, you just...kept on going! haha Looked fun though. Laughing
I'm glad the slope wasn't that steep all the way down Happy
snow report
You can stop yourself on a 40º or even 45º slope using GrahamN's method, if you do it immediately. It is often called the Giles Green self-arrest after the guide who invented it (and made me practice it).
latest report
snowball, The guide i was with in February in the Grand Massif made us practice it as well, it was interesting....... Shocked
latest report
I am a skier with some 40 yrs experience and ski with bindings set at DIN 7, I weigh 95kgs. I very rarely drop a ski on piste, even on a fall. On piste, whatever grade, I very often ski agressively and at speed and, whist my technique is good, I make mistakes. Looking at the video the slope looks benign and skiing fairly measured, so I am puzzled as to the cause of the skis coming away, unless there was a rock just under the surface. Given that the bindings were on DIN 7 on the basis of the limited view presented, I would have looked elsewhere for the reason for pre-release - faulty bindings? Puzzled
snow report
I am 68 kilos and in the past normally had my bindings set on 8. I only ski pistes to get to the off-piste so it is several years since I fell on a piste.
My last skis had Fritschi Freeride touring bindings but my new ones this season I changed to Marker Barons because of the number of pre-releases I was getting. I get the impression that 8 on the Markers is less easy to release than on the Fritschis. I had 5 or 6 falls this season and the only release was a pre-release (on a tiny jump I didn't anticipate), despite putting them down to 7.5 after a fairly high speed fall in heavy snow when I hit a rock and neither ski released. I'm wondering if I should go down to 7.
GrahamN is right that there are times when you don't want bindings to release, but they are not very frequent for me (and nonexistent for many skiers). Although it is a bit awkward to say "wait a mo while I adjust my bindings" at the top of a slope, I can do it with my Swiss Army Knife if I don't have a screwdriver and anyway generally find I know a while in advance that I'm going to ski something very steep. In these circumstances some guides will tell you to crank up your bindings but some unfortunately don't.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 9-05-12 10:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
http://www.dinsetting.com/

So many people have their bindings cranked up to crazy settings. I'm 190cms, +/-90kgs and ski pretty well, have my bindings on 7 and have never had issues with pre-release. The din calculator or the above site recommends an 8 for me.
latest report
Mine are set to 8 cos that's the lowest my bindings will go to... Most calculators recommend 7.5 or 8 for me and it seems to be fine. No pre-release and seems to release reliably including the odd slower twisty fall (when my mate tried to hockey stop spray me and knocked me over instead...).
latest report
snowball, I am also 68 kilos. Most of the online charts suggest my DIN should be 4.5. However I usually ski at 5.5 or 5. I don't get pre releases at all.
latest report
On my last bindings I actually had to put them up to 8.5.

When I had the new ones fitted they wanted to put them on 7 because they said that aged over 50 you should put them down a point (I'm 63). This is an adjustment that not many charts mention, though the one above does.
Using that chart I notice that they put me on 6.5 if I call myself a type 3 skier but 8 if I say 3+. Quite a difference! If I pretend to be under 50 and type 3 it also puts me up to 8.
PS Just added a sentence to the end of my last post above.
ski holidays
It's all a bit of trial and error sticking to the charts, the biggest problem is knowing where you fit in the skier type category, it's the only one that is subjective and down to the skier to define, it's very easy to overate or underrate one's own type "Skis fast and aggressive" how fast is fast and one person’s idea of aggressive is probably quite tame compared to someone else’s!

As said above a pre-release with a bit of speed can do more damage sometimes than a ski not releasing and because it's happens when you least expect you don't really get much chance to minimise the impact, if the OP's release happened on a winding tree lined piste things could have been a bit different. mackar, I take it you continued to use them at the same setting with no further problems? So you can probably rule out poor forward pressure adjustment, the slope looked pretty smooth and the way they seemed to just fall off I'd have thought it should have happened more than once, maybe a build-up of snow when clipping in could have caused the toe not to centre correctly?

I've had a spate of pre-releases over the last 6 months, my pre-release threshold appears to be around 6.5 and always a heel release with a bit of speed on lumpy terrain, I've now gone up to around 7.5 and haven’t had an issue since but they don't seem to release on slow powder falls Embarassed when I'd have expected them to? I think the way you ski can have an effect- not just how fast or aggressive but up until recently I've tended to hang on the front cuffs a lot, even skiing moderately I was applying upward pressure on my heel bindings so it only needed me to hit/fail to soak up a bump and out I came, I've made progress to fix this and change the way I balance so now when I go through lumpy stuff I absorb it better. Maybe I can now knock them back down half a notch.
ski holidays
gatecrasher, I think GrahamN was talking about steep skiing rather than fast skiing as requiring that you don't release. We are talking about a release which could lead to a potentially fatal result or leaving you stranded half way down a cliff with no skis. I've never seen someone talk this way about fast skiing but would be interested if anyone feels this is a factor.
ski holidays
snowball, Yep understood where GrahamN, was coming from, I know you guys do some pretty serious stuff, my last pre-release was when I swapped skis with a friend for a couple of runs, within a about 500m of the first run I was out of them and landed on my shoulder, was off piste and hit some hard stuff under fresh powder, I wasn't going particularly fast but still had quite a heavy landing on some equally hard stuff, the bindings were set on a 6 rolling eyes

Was just thinking having a release like the op's on a narrow tree lined road could also be fatal.
snow report
gatecrasher, however breaking bones or ligaments with no release very much more likely.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
gatecrasher, however breaking bones or ligaments with no release very much more likely.
snowball, I Agree, I guess you have to weigh up the pre-releases vs pilot error falls!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy