Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CASI / BASI?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys

So this is a bit early to be thinking about it. But i want to do a ski instructor course sometime in the next few years. Now i was wondering what is considered better a CASI 1/2 etc or BASI 1/2? I know that its the canadian/ British skiing/ snowboarding qualifications.

Also i was looking at full courses etc and they are insanely expensive ( 7k+ for a full course). i was told by a mate that we a decent amount of experience/ a season of skiing that its perfectly possibly to get your CASI 1/2 without forking out an insane amount for a full course. As you get almost tutored during your exam period? Thats kind of the impression i got anyways.

Now what i wanted to know is how much does it cost to actually take the the CASI 1/2 & BASI 1/2, and which is more internationally recognised? Also is it a better idea to just spend a season skiing with mates who have already done the course/ are themselves qualified instructors and learn the ropes from them, rather than forking out nearly 10k ( flights and spending money included) or should i actually do the pricey course?

Cheers guys
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps surprisingly, BASI is slightly better-recognised than CASI.

To actually take BASI 1 & 2 will cost about £900 in course fees, plus travel, accommodation, lift-pass etc for at least 2 weeks in resort (level 1 can be done in a snowdome).

The approach I'd always suggest would be to do level 1 in a dome, get feedback from the trainer on where you're at, then go do a season. Get a bar or chalet job, do lots of skiing and try to hook-up with a BASI Trainer or high-level instructor a couple of times through the season. Then do level 2 on a glacier in the Spring.

If you take that approach and look after your pennies wisely from your bar/chalet job, you could break-even on the season, rather than spending £10k+ for a gap course!

The BASI courses are at least half and half training and assessment, you don't have to pass it on the first day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevomcd wrote:
Perhaps surprisingly, BASI is slightly better-recognised than CASI.

To actually take BASI 1 & 2 will cost about £900 in course fees, plus travel, accommodation, lift-pass etc for at least 2 weeks in resort (level 1 can be done in a snowdome).

The approach I'd always suggest would be to do level 1 in a dome, get feedback from the trainer on where you're at, then go do a season. Get a bar or chalet job, do lots of skiing and try to hook-up with a BASI Trainer or high-level instructor a couple of times through the season. Then do level 2 on a glacier in the Spring.

If you take that approach and look after your pennies wisely from your bar/chalet job, you could break-even on the season, rather than spending £10k+ for a gap course!

The BASI courses are at least half and half training and assessment, you don't have to pass it on the first day.

+1

... and I think I seem to remember you saying you live nearish to Hemel.... you can do your level 1 in there over the Summer (or pretty much any other dome in the UK) as well as getting training in there in the run up to your level 1 course as we run weekly training sessions for people either pre or post level 1.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did what stevomcd, suggested and it is definitely the way to go.
Otherwise if you still wanted to go down the gap course route Snoworks run a course in the autumn which means you can then work during the season if you pass! http://www.snoworks.co.uk/gap.asp
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
xander89, You might want to look at the small print. The only truly internationally recognised BASI level is L4. L3 will allow work in Switzerland, but to work across Europe, L4 is a requirement.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski wrote:
xander89, You might want to look at the small print. The only truly internationally recognised BASI level is L4. L3 will allow work in Switzerland, but to work across Europe, L4 is a requirement.

is this in relation to CASI? Are the CASI level 1/2 better recognised? Cos if so that flies in the face of what the others have said :S. As far as i was aware it went

BASI1= dry slopes
BASI2= Part time on real slopes
BASI3= Full time
BASI4= Final level to further your professional career

My main question is not about the levels rather what is better to go for to start with the CASI or BASI, and it seems that from the start the BASI is more internationally regarded? It would make it a dam site easier to get my level 1/2 is that is the case too Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BASI has better recognition in Europe, but you need to be aiming for L4 for full time work across Europe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is my take on the matter. If you want to work in Canada then do a Canadian qualification. If you want to work in Europe, then do a European one. Quite simple that bit.

That next section is way too political for me. Should you do a gap course or just do a season and then “have a go”. If it were me starting out, I’d do a L1 in a dome somewhere and see what feedback trainer gives. Regardless of the politics of it, BASI trainers are some of the best in the world, so you’ll get told what you need to work on and what your current level is and how that relates to your progression. There are lots of companies offering Gaps. Have a good look around and ask question of people who have done them (I haven't) and you should be able to get a good feel for which would suit you.

I agree with the suggestion that if you can pass your L1 (BASI) you could then try and do a season. Go to somewhere with lots of UK tourists. The reason for this is that those places tend to attract BASI instructors, so you should be able to link up during the season and get some feedback on where you’re at, and what you need to work on.

The BASI site is right about the L’s. If you want to work in the UK then you’re better off just getting your L1 and then not bothering with any more, as UK slopes don’t really need you to have any higher qualifications and don't pay much more for them, so the cost of obtaining them will not be recouped.

If you want to work in Europe you’ll need to plan to continue though the BASI system up to L3 or 4. The cost of this is can be very high. But if you pass all your modules 1st time (there are LOTS of modules) and stay in the cheapest possible accommodation, you can bring this down significantly. But you should remember that it’s an expensive thing to do and you’ll need to start out with the intention of going all the way (if you want to teach outside of the UK). The reason for saying this is, at the moment, you can work in a few different areas without a BASI L4, but this is changing. So, by the time you finish you may find that you can only work in a very small number of areas without at least the ISIA stamp (L3). There will, obviously be many people seeking the same (unqualified) positions, so, due to supply and demand, the wages and conditions for these posts will most likely not be commensurate with the effort put in.

If you can, try and find a BASI instructor to ski with before you start and ask them what you’re skiing is like and is it at the right standard as a starting point. Your mates and parents will having been telling you for years just how wonderful you are at skiing, it’s good to get an objective view from someone else ?

Good luck
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As others have said if you're goal is to teach in Europe go with BASI. I did the CASI up to Lv 3 but have only done a couple of seasons then allot of part-time work mainly in Italy i.e. from the get go I didn't have any ambition to become a full-time instructor and if I'm honest with myself probably not good enough to get to Lv 4! Shocked

Comparing the quals with mates who have BASI quals the CASI has a bit more focus on off piste when you get into the level 2/3 stuff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
xander89 as others have said do the BASI L1 at Hemel, will cost you £505 http://www.thesnowcentre.com/offers-and-events/events/basi-alpine-instructor

If your not sure if your level is up to it, you could book a private session with these guys (which is what I did prior to taking my L1)

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/private.html#3

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I agree with Grizwald having observed both systems (although pedantically I understand the skier's branch in Canuckistan is called CSIA). Level 1 is Canada is basically a gimme and I've observed a fair few L2/3 groups in training and they are by no means all great skiers but are being pushed in terms of terrain. DaveC is probably best placed to give an honest assessment of how hard the step up to L3 is. L4s in either system are of course great skiers although I believe there was some technical glitch with ISTD equivalence for CSIA re mountain safety presumably to be fixable by taking an Avy Cert etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
xander89, lots of good advice above so I won't add anymore, but let me know if you have any BASI specific questions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, I think it's CSIA L3 which doesn't qualify for the ISIA Stamp, whereas BASI L3 does.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xander89, As I understand it, the CSIA professional indemnity insurance (which is what associations are really selling in exchange for your membership money wink ) will not cover you outside of Canada.

Related to that, for your membership to stay valid you will almost certainly need to do refresher training periodically, which may also be an issue (or expensive) with the CSIA if you are living \ working in Europe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndAnotherThing.., If you are teaching for a school, the school should have professional indemnity insurance for their instructors.

There are plenty of places that accept a CSIA L2 - Salzburgerland in Austria for one. One reason to go to Canada and take their qualification is for the 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience of doing a season there (as opposed to France/Austria/Italy/Scotland where most skiers good enough to be considering teaching will have skied plenty of times). The Gap Year programmes are fairly intensive courses where you spend 5 days a week improving your skiing and preparing for the tests. The actual CSIA Courses take place over one week - the week comprising 3-4 days training followed by 1-2 days of actual tests, plus indoor classroom sessions. It is perfectly possible to only do these weeks - the advantage that the Gap Year guys have is that they have had 3 weeks of additional preperation for each level. But they cost £8000+. As regards refresher training, there are regular approved CSIA courses in Switzerland and Andora for Europe-based members (as well as in Australia/NZ for anyone heading south for a summer).

My take on it is it depends what you want to get out of taking an instructor course. If it is to improve your own skiing and to have a focus for your progression, then perhaps the once-in-a-lifetime trip is the one to pick. If you want to regularly teach in Europe, then BASI might be the route. If you have any grasp of German, maybe entering the Austrian system as an 'anvarter' is worth considering (costs approx £1000 all in - there's a good thread on here somwhere).
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
This is my take on the matter. If you want to work in Canada then do a Canadian qualification. If you want to work in Europe, then do a European one. Quite simple that bit.

That next section is way too political for me. Should you do a gap course or just do a season and then “have a go”. If it were me starting out, I’d do a L1 in a dome somewhere and see what feedback trainer gives. Regardless of the politics of it, BASI trainers are some of the best in the world, so you’ll get told what you need to work on and what your current level is and how that relates to your progression. There are ots of companies offering Gaps. Have a good look around and ask question of people who have done them (I haven't) and you should be able to get a good feel for which would suit you.

I agree with the suggestion that if you can pass your L1 (BASI) you could then try and do a season some with lots of UK tourists. The reason for this is that those places tend to attract BASI instructors, so you should be able to link up during the season and get some feedback on where you’re at, and what you need to work on.

The BASI site is right about the L’s. If you want to work in the UK then you’re better off just getting your L1 and then not bothering with any more, as UK slopes don’t really need you to have any higher qualifications and don't pay much more for them, so the cost of obtaining them will not be recouped.

If you want to work in Europe you’ll need to plan to continue though the BASI system up to L3 or 4. The cost of this is can be very high. But if you pass all your modules 1st time (there are LOTS of modules) and stay in the cheapest possible accommodation, you can bring this down significantly. But you should remember that it’s an expensive thing to do and you’ll need to start out with the intention of going all the way (if you want to teach outside of the UK). The reason for saying this is, at the moment, you can work in a few different areas without a BASI L4, but this is changing. So, by the time you finish you may find that you can only work in a very small number of areas without at least the ISIA stamp (L3). There will, obviously be many people seeking the same (unqualified) positions, so, due to supply and demand, the wages and conditions for these posts will most likely not be commensurate with the effort put in.

If you can, try and find a BASI instructor to ski with before you start and ask them what you’re skiing is like and is it at the right standard as a starting point. Your mates and parents will having been telling you for years just how wonderful you are at skiing, it’s good to get an objective view from someone else ?

Good luck

Cheers for the reply. Well I will almost definitely do a BASI 1 in a dome. But what you have to remember this is plainly for fun at the moment. I want to get my level3 before i seriously consider this as a career path. At the moment i have a good job in London and me and my gf are moving in together in a few months. So this is long term. But I deff want to get my level 1 either before next season/ just after (when im fresh!)

If i did end up getting my level 3 i would seriously consider it as a career path. Also in relation to "Your mates and parents will having been telling you for years just how wonderful you are at skiing". I have never been skiing with my parents (neither of them can ski) and I have only been skiing with mates who are of a similar level to me. I know about 4/5 people who are level 3 qualified who regularly do seasons as instructors. And trust me they would be honest with me. There is no point not being in this situation. It would just end up losing me a load of cash if they weren’t.

ok so onto what i need to know now it what i need in order to pass my first two BASI courses.

Level 1

what would i need before actually doing the 5 day course? Is there any prerp i can do for it?

I also need 35 hours of logged snowschool exp after i finish the 5 day course + safeguarding children module+ First aid course. (where would i do the last two and how much would it cost?)

Also are these 5 days courses all day? If so would i have to take 5 days off work, or is it in the evenings? which would allow me to do it after work.

Level 2

Ok so i need to do a 10 day course. ( does anyone know the price? It doesn’t say on the BASI website.)

+ 35 hours of snowschool exp ( im guessing this is the same 35 hours needed to pass the level one?)

Cheers guys and gals

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-04-12 14:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
quinton,
Quote:

If you are teaching for a school, the school should have professional indemnity insurance for their instructors.

What if your employer forgot to pay their insurance premium?
ski holidays
xander89, Just started looking at this for my daughter 16.

There are pre L1 courses as mentioned earlier

She's doing the L1 in the summer at Hemel or Milton Keynes
First Aid courses are run at Hemel too around £100 I think
She will do her shadowing at our local dry slope near Peterborough with perhaps a day or so at a dome to help get it in
Can arrange child protection through BASI I think, not much

L2 is about £550 I think plus travel, accommodation and lift passes for 2 weeks
Further 35 hours required I think

It gets expensive after that wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 24-04-12 14:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

I want to get my level3 before i seriously consider this as a career path.

Level 3 is a high level - unless you are already a very high level skier, or plan to spend 2 + seasons working and training, L3 is a challenge you shouldn't underestimate.

Quote:

Also are these 5 days courses all day? If so would i have to take 5 days off work, or is it in the evenings? which would allow me to do it after work.

I don't think any evening courses are run, however I have seen them scheduled over a weekend plus weekdays, so minimising the times you need to take off work. Your best bet is to contact Hemel and ask them.

Quote:

Level 2

Ok so i need to do a 10 day course. ( does anyone know the price? It doesnt say on the BASI website.)

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/course-search.aspx?s=ZDJ8bXxjMg==
snow report
xander89 wrote:

Level 1

what would i need before actually doing the 5 day course? Is there any prerp i can do for it?

I also need 35 hours of logged snowschool exp after i finish the 5 day course + safeguarding children module+ First aid course. (where would i do the last two and how much would it cost?)

Level 2

Ok so i need to do a 10 day course. ( does anyone know the price? It doesn’t say on the BASI website.)

+ 35 hours of snowschool exp ( im guessing this is the same 35 hours needed to pass the level one?)

Cheers guys and gals

If I were you id get yourself along to a dome (again if Hemel is your local dome then we run Tuesday evening instructor training sessions - PM and ill give you some details) and you'll get a flavour to what is involved. Most of the 'prep' that can be done involves working on personal performance and starting to understand what the 'fundamentals' are all about.

The logged hours stuff.... generally no charge for doing that and you can shadow existing instructors to build up your knowledge - that is pretty easy to get in and you can spread it over as long as you like. The first aid course - lots of providers out there - BASP run courses at Hemel every few weeks.

The courses ARE always all day (and most people are expected to spend time practicing what they have learnt in addition). They are usually Monday to Friday but sometimes spread over a couple of weekends.... check out the Hemel website.

As far as the Level 2 is concerned then its £535 (plus accommodation, lift pass etc).

And as beanie1 says Level 3 (in any system) is a pretty serious level - there are many people who have skied all their lives who never pass the level 3... most people would say that things start getting 'serious' / expensive and career changing AFTER level 2 but that is a general reflection.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
Quote:

I want to get my level3 before i seriously consider this as a career path.

Level 3 is a high level - unless you are already a very high level skier, or plan to spend 2 + seasons working and training, L3 is a challenge you shouldn't underestimate.

Quote:

I don't think any evening courses are run, however I have seen them scheduled over a weekend plus weekdays, so minimising the times you need to take off work. Your best bet is to contact Hemel and ask them.

Quote:

Level 2

Ok so i need to do a 10 day course. ( does anyone know the price? It doesnt say on the BASI website.)

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/course-search.aspx?s=ZDJ8bXxjMg==

Ok some brilliant info there.

So it seems my best course of action would be to do a private lesson

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/private.html#3

see what kinda of level im at, see where i need to improve, then Maybe just go for the BASI1 in the snow dome.

So the process would be

take the 5 day course,
do the first aid and safeguarding children thing,
then log 35 hours of snowschool exp

= BASI 1

now only one person really answered before and it seemed they weren’t too sure.

Do i have to log another 35 hours in order to take my level 2 as well as the 35 hours i had to do after my 5 day level one course? So in total 70 to pass my level 2?

so 2 would be:-

Take 10 day course....or do another 35 hours of snowschool exp, then 10 day course?

Also i do realise the level three is going to be hella difficult, and i would only attempt it a few years down the line. This also providing i was 100% sure that it was what i wanted to do in the long term.

So for now its looking like the BASI1 would cost me around £650+ first aid and safeguarding children thing (£750 including a private lesson to assess me before.)

does this sound about right?

So in total it will be around 750 for my level one and probs 1.5k+ for my level 2? ( 500 for course, + at least 1k for flights, ski pass, accommodation and food, probs more!)

I would love to do a gap thing, but who has nearly 8k to spend on that? its a huge amount of money for something i could do for under half the price.

At least i kind of have a better idea of what the deal is now though. Its clarified alot of things for me.

I think that i might have to wait till next year to do the level one though. I think i would feel a lot better about it if i had done 2-3 weeks in the upcoming season before i attempted the BASI 1

Also someone mentioned about having to do refresher courses or something? What exactly is the deal with that? If you dont teach for a year you have to do a top up/ refresher course before you can teach again?

Cheers
snow report
xander89,
Quote:

Also someone mentioned about having to do refresher courses or something?

If you aren't doing amy other BASI courses, you need to show up every three years for a refresher. It's a one day course you can do at Hemel. Once you have got to L3 the refresher thing changes - there will be/is a two day course to do.
snow conditions
xander89, Sounds like you are getting a good handle on the costs. One thing that can increase the costs quite substantially is if you need to improve your own level of skiing to get to the required standard for L2. This is something that should be assessed as part of your L1, but you may well need some additional coaching/training.

As for refreshers, once qualified (at any level) you either need to take another BASI course within the following three years, or else do a refresher course: it's only one/two day and can be done in a fridge. They are v.minor in the overall scheme of things.
ski holidays
Quote:

think i would feel a lot better about it if i had done 2-3 weeks in the upcoming season before i attempted the BASI 1

What is your current level?
snow conditions
ok wikid! every 3 years is ok! i thought it was every year. Phew. Ok that gives me breathing room between each one to plan my next course of action/ get more and more experience each season!

God i cant wait for next season to come round! want to go skiing so badly now NehNeh
ski holidays
I cannot comment on the BASI exam structure, but I would caution that you make sure you want to do ski instructing before you commit lots of time/effort/money to the cause.

It isn't especially well paid, and you don't get to spend all day skiing like you do when on holiday. I am sure you have thought about this, but ski instructors often don't get to do lots of skiing they want to do - and they need to be patient and not mind doing the same green slope every day for 3 weeks. Of course in summer you may need an alternative job.

Just a thought on the reality of being a ski instructor, vs your good job at the moment and nice ski holidays.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Quote:

think i would feel a lot better about it if i had done 2-3 weeks in the upcoming season before i attempted the BASI 1

What is your current level?

Im not very experienced. I wont lie.Embarassed

These are all down the line ideas at the moment. I have been skiing three times in total ( not many at all i know). I was confident on the black runs i was tackling last time i went and never felt out of my depth.

I picked parallel turning up pretty quickly but i haven’t had many chances to ski over the last few years, so its been difficult to improve past a certain point. My technique is nothing to be desired but i am confident in a parallel turn, small jumps, skiing backwards. I know they are all pretty vague descriptions

I decided to upload a couple of quick vids of me at the snow dome my gf took cos im finding it difficult to explain the level I’m at and I’ve been asked a few times.

keep in mind these are after a 3 year break since i last skied. If you all think I would be incredibly out of my depth going for the level 1 at my current level just say. I wont take offence! Might make me realise its somewhat of a pipe dream till i get a lot better. NehNeh

I mean judging on the 9 levels is it? i would say I'm somewhere around 7/8. I am comfortable tackling a blue - black runs and i generally skied in the fall line. I cant really carve properly as of yet, but i was attempting it last time i went as an older experienced skier was giving me some tips. I mean judging by these vids ( i know they are very short and don’t show much) where would you place me/ what do you think i could potentially do considering my short time skiing.

try and watch on 1080 if you can ( they aint brill vids :S)

here

here

here

Cheers

*nervously awaits the barrage of laughing fits and insults* Shocked

P.s sorry about the three short vids ( at work and don’t have a program to splice them together!)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 24-04-12 17:19; edited 3 times in total
snow report
grey wrote:
I cannot comment on the BASI exam structure, but I would caution that you make sure you want to do ski instructing before you commit lots of time/effort/money to the cause.

It isn't especially well paid, and you don't get to spend all day skiing like you do when on holiday. I am sure you have thought about this, but ski instructors often don't get to do lots of skiing they want to do - and they need to be patient and not mind doing the same green slope every day for 3 weeks. Of course in summer you may need an alternative job.

Just a thought on the reality of being a ski instructor, vs your good job at the moment and nice ski holidays.

also i know this will be the case. But Maybe even for a couple of years it would be nice to experience doing 2/3 whole seasons in a row. Hell i might decide not to do it in the end ( i migth makes LOADS of money, and end up just being able to ski without having to worry about money NehNeh ) .

Also its just soemthing i have always wanted to do, and i think i would actualy really enjoy teaching people if it came down to it. Smile. i Know some of my mates have had a ball doing it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Standard required for L1

http://youtube.com/v/ea5-vTW9iJQ&context=C479a0e9ADvjVQa1PpcFPa78CBCXquVlUChgF1nkoIll2od05ZNI0=
latest report
Colin B wrote:
Standard required for L1

http://youtube.com/v/ea5-vTW9iJQ&context=C479a0e9ADvjVQa1PpcFPa78CBCXquVlUChgF1nkoIll2od05ZNI0=

is that a hint that im not at that level or that i am? XD Quite frankely i wouldnt trust my judgement on the matter even having seen a couple of vids of me skiing. I feel its well within my capability to do both those but i aint really well versed on it + ill be biased lol
snow conditions
xander89, I don't want to be nasty, but you are a long long way from level 3 standard, let alone level 4. There are many excellent skiers who know level 4 is beyond them - unless you were brought up racing regularly, had lots of training and skied >10 weeks a season, it verges on impossible (or just stupidly expensive and time consuming with training).

Remember the higher levels are not all about skiing flattering groomed pistes either. You have to be excellent in moguls, powder, crud and and crust, steeps... and able to vary how you ski them, short and long turns etc.

I don't want to stamp all over your ambitions, just trying to be realistic. Most people only start to realise how much they actually suck when they start to get relatively good at skiing, and being brutally honest I think level 3 will be achievable with a LOT of time and work for you, eventually, but level 4 may be a step too far (I know it is for me - and for many friends who have done plenty of full seasons), especially with the Eurotest (think doing medical school and becoming a doctor amounts of work and money). And that means a long term career in instructing is going to be very very hard to achieve. Sorry for being harsh, but that's the way I see it (I've gone through the same thought process with myself).

OTOH, with a bit of work you should be able to get too level 2 without too many problems, then spend a few seasons teaching, and have a lot of fun.
ski holidays
xander89, I wasn't hinting anything, just to give you an idea of what's required.
ski holidays
xander89, it's difficult to tell a lot from your videos as they don't show your skiing up close and you're only making one type of turn, but my overall impression is that's generally good skiing for 3 weeks experience but you're probably not at the entry point level for an L1 course quite yet. Next time you're skiing perhaps you can get some video which is taken a bit closer to you so we can see in more detail what's going on, and run through a mix of long radius and short radius turns. If you also wanted to demo some snowplough turns that would be good in terms of getting some feedback here.
snow conditions
xander89, lots of good advice here, which I won't repeat.

Getting an honest assessment of your level is definitely the way to go as a starting point.

It's worth saying that there is a BIG step change in both performance requirement, cost and commitment involved in moving from Level 2 to Level 3. For Level 3 you need:
- L3 technical - 10 days
- L3 teach - 5 days
- L1 in something else - 5 days
- Mountain Safety - 6 days
- Common Theory - 5 days
- Coaching - 3 days (I think - it keeps changing)
- 2nd language
- 200 teaching hours (in addition to the 70 hours ski school experience).

I reckon that you're lucky to get away with spending £1,000 a week on BASI courses by the time you've paid the fees; got there; stayed somewhere; bought a lift pass and eaten. So probably around £7k to get a Level 3.

And that's before you pay for training. And you'll need training. And you'll need more equipment. Much more equipment.

clarky999 makes a good point that you need to be realistic about what you're doing and why you're doing it.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
xander89, I don't want to be nasty, but you are a long long way from level 3 standard, let alone level 4. There are many excellent skiers who know level 4 is beyond them - unless you were brought up racing regularly, had lots of training and skied >10 weeks a season, it verges on impossible (or just stupidly expensive and time consuming with training).

Remember the higher levels are not all about skiing flattering groomed pistes either. You have to be excellent in moguls, powder, crud and and crust, steeps... and able to vary how you ski them, short and long turns etc.

I don't want to stamp all over your ambitions, just trying to be realistic. Most people only start to realise how much they actually suck when they start to get relatively good at skiing, and being brutally honest I think level 3 will be achievable with a LOT of time and work for you, eventually, but level 4 may be a step too far (I know it is for me - and for many friends who have done plenty of full seasons), especially with the Eurotest (think doing medical school and becoming a doctor amounts of work and money). And that means a long term career in instructing is going to be very very hard to achieve. Sorry for being harsh, but that's the way I see it (I've gone through the same thought process with myself).

OTOH, with a bit of work you should be able to get too level 2 without too many problems, then spend a few seasons teaching, and have a lot of fun.

As i have said repeatedly throughout this thread i am nowhere near level 3/4, i never thought myself to be/ been under any illusions. I have said that if this was a thing i wanted to do it would be years and years down the line. I dont take it as an insult as i already said repeatedly that i was only going for 1/2 over the next few years and i would only contemplate going for 3/4 if it was something i really really wanted to go for.

"Also i do realise the level three is going to be hella difficult, and i would only attempt it a few years down the line. This also providing i was 100% sure that it was what i wanted to do in the long term. "

Sorry its not a snappy retort, its just I've made it very clear from the offset that its 1/2 im going for. Ive had a total of 15 days skiing so far. So i was under no impression i would be able to hop into any of the instructor courses and be able to do it from the off. I thought that i would have to do a whole season of skiing in order to just get my level one. Up until today i was unaware that it was doable in an indoor slope.

But thanks for your honesty. It isnt too flattering showing people videos after a three year break and it was pretty nerve racking showing everyone, ( my air of anonimity has dissapeared XD)

I am also fully aware that being able to ski ungroomed pistes is essential. I did every black run i could get on on my last holiday and had an experience of about 1-2 foot being dumped one day and skiing a black run after that. Was pretty intense. Also i havent had any advice on technique etc since i was 14 years old.

Sorry It sounds as if trying to defend myself too much XD, but again keep the comments coming!

I always though that level 3 was beyond what i would be capable of for years and years. Ideally the reason i wanted my level 2 was to be able to teach part time if i went to the slopes for a season and not have to fork out a fortune to ski a whole season. Then if it was something i really enjoyed and wanted to persue further trying to plan for my level 3.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-04-12 18:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
xander89 wrote:
I mean judging on the 9 levels is it? i would say I'm somewhere around 7/8. I am comfortable tackling a blue - black runs and i generally skied in the fall line. I cant really carve properly as of yet, but i was attempting it last time i went as an older experienced skier was giving me some tips. I mean judging by these vids ( i know they are very short and don’t show much) where would you place me/ what do you think i could potentially do considering my short time skiing.

FWIW, I reckon that you're a Level 5/6 on the InsideOut skiing levels.
latest report
^^^^^ Hadn't realised that rob@rar was hanging around. He'll have a better view!
snow report
FlyingStantoni, I'd like to see some short radius turns to reach a judgement, but I'd guess a 6 rather than a 5 on our scale.
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
xander89 wrote:

i went on this XD

http://www.amenta.com/ski/skiknow.htm

i would be happy with a 6 on the one you linked. i would like to think i would be easily a 7 after next season ( i plan to go for 3 weeks in total) which i feel would improve. would hope i was slightly better than this:

Your snowplough is noticeably smaller and you are able to finish turns with your skis in a parallel position. You may have done a week or more of skiing and can now ski down a blue run, although you might struggle on the steeper sections. You are beginning to use your ski poles, but the timing of your pole plants is not yet helping you to ski fluidly. You can confidently change your direction and slow down as required on green and gentle blue pistes. You may lack confidence or get nervous on steeper slopes and when skiing at higher speeds, and you use big snowplough turns when conditions get tricky although it does not stop you getting around the mountain.

nervousness is not an issue i can tell you that NehNeh. I can quite comfortably say i don’t use snowplough turns even when conditions are tricky and always come to a parallel stop

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 24-04-12 18:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
xander89 wrote:
FlyingStantoni wrote:
xander89 wrote:

i went on this XD

http://www.amenta.com/ski/skiknow.htm

i would be happy with a 6 on the one you linked.

They need to add about 10 levels between their l6 and l9 - those aren't little steps up, each is probably equivalent to four weeks of ski training/practise, more for the latter ones.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy