Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternatives to a luxury lake louise holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Im asking before having done too much research because I figure first hand experience is the best opinion to get.

We have been keen to return to the Lake Louise/Jasper areas for our normal Mid january ski, unfortunately we are disuaded by the horriffic canadian exchange rate as well as flights and accomodation being more expensive than previous years. Given that most of the extra cost would be down to the exchange, we were thinking that we should try somewhere other than Canada. So the USA comes to mind (we just prefer that part of the world to Europe). But where?

A few notes: We normally stay in the fairmont hotels and resultantly do well through their president club scheme. So most importantly, wherever we go must have a highly luxurious hotel! Very Happy I really dont know beyond fairmont, so i dont know which resorts might have an alternative hotel. The cold doesnt particularly bother us (obviously since we normally do alberta!), so dont worry about that! Our level of skiing ranges from cautious to bold intermediate and we also have a total beginner, so from my point of view, i love bumps, but others like long smooth runs, so we need terrain which will suit all. I guess the final note is that we are not in the slightests concerned about nightlife. We will not be in bars at all, normally we are not unhappy eating just in the hotel, but I guess if we had a town which had some of the typically N.American chain restaurants, we wouldnt be displeased!

My first investigation is going to be Utah.....

Thanks!

Adam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh and a little addition, we are used to fairly quiet slopes with basically nothing in the way of queues..... i dont think the others would would be willing to go somewhere with big queues.....

Thanks!

Adam
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buns, i have spent a fair amount of time in canada and feel i can make a comparison. i suppose my vote would be for any of the colorado or utah resorts. the major difference will be that you can determine how close you want to be to the ski area as opposed to Banff where a bus or car is typically required.

as i have so often stated i teach at winter park because i love the mountain/terrain snowfall/town. there are lots of other spots that will make for a great vacation.

probably the fanciest accomodations will be in Aspen. the Little Nell Hotel will set you back a small fortune on a daily basis. I'm certain Vail and Beaver Creek have similar places. In Utah i would set my sights on Deer Valley. Alta and Snowbird have a little space but not as much as most resorts.

pm me or send an e-mail if i can answer any specific questions or be of help. i think it's safe to say you will be able to find nice housing at any major resort withen a few feet of the lifts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
buns,

Sorry, I don't get this.

The exchange rate for Canada is better than that for the US (1 GBP = 2.06 CAD; 1 GBP = 1.76 USD). OK, so the exchange rate for the Canadian Dollar isn't as good as it has been in the past (2.20-plus), but it's still pretty competitive.

In my experience Canada provides better value than the US (and, FWIW, I've got a deal for Whistler that's a little cheaper than last year!)

However, if you want luxury, in Utah, then try the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Deer Valley.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Acacia, could that be due to the fact Whistler and the PNW had next to no snow last year?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
buns, The exchange rate is the same (virtually) as last year so in reality every thing seems cheap to us Brits when your there. Flights are more expensive because of fuel surcharges but not much I have found packages as little as £749 for 14 nights in Banff. I haven't looked at the luxury end but the prices are pretty comparable to last season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The exchange we got last year on the credit card was near 2.3..... there is more than a 10% difference from that which, considering a total of 5 people, is a good chunk of cash. The US dollar is, relative to last years exchange, better.....

I know it seems a bit odd to go looking for an expensive holiday then try and save money, but if we didnt, we would never have reached the point of being able to afford nice holidays!

Oh and perhaps it needs mentioned that we almost always do holidays on our own, most operators kill you on business fares and suites!

I shall have a look at the suggested spots thank!

Adam
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buns,

Just got an E-Mail from Ski Independence after I requested info on Sunshine Inn.

7 nights in December Flights from BFS-Heathrow (BMI) And to Calgary (Air Canada) Superior room, Free Lift pass and private tuition for £1,000..

What is your budget?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rusty Guy,

I'm not complaining if that's the case.......especially since I arrived at the same time as the snow, last year. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy wrote:
buns,

Just got an E-Mail from Ski Independence after I requested info on Sunshine Inn.

7 nights in December Flights from BFS-Heathrow (BMI) And to Calgary (Air Canada) Superior room, Free Lift pass and private tuition for £1,000..

What is your budget?

Hey there Johnboy,

Budget really isnt a big deal, it is all about getting the value for money. Package hols dont really work for us, executive flights and multi-bedroom suites just are too expensive that way!

I will however keep note of Ski Independence as it may suit to use them for a later season break!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy