Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could my skis be limiting progress

Poster: A snowHead
Im just starting to parallel ski, been a long learning process as I'm a bit of a wuss. I ski on a pair of blizzard spirit xo skis, 150cm (bought 2007). I'm 5'7" and not that light, could my skis be too short or not good enough to progress. My aim is to ski happily on blues.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They sound a bit short, I'm a couple of inches taller than you but tend to use sis between 175 and 185
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nixtoo....I'd stick with exactly what you have. They are not too short to limit progress if you are just starting to parallel ski. Loads of people here are likely to immediately start shouting, but here's the reasoning.

FIS got twitchy when slalom skis started to get too short, and the professionals realised that shorter skis were giving them a hell of an advantage. Think about it. Hardly a performance-limiting issue then.

When I am a***ing about with the kids I ski on 145cm scramblers - I'm 5-7 and 140lbs - and if anything they have loads for improved technique.

I often put advanced skiers onto v short slalom skis to do technique things

and this is the killer - what would be better for your skiing, one more weeks' skiing (on a bargain last minute all-in for £300) or a new pair of skis. The answer is the more skiing, the more practice.

footnote - boots might be more important than skis

I now wait for barrage of protest....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately Im limited to school hols, so no late bargains. My boots are nordica (circa 2005). Had them fitted properly at Ellis brigham. Not sure if they'd need upgrading?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you'll be alright tbh. 150 is potentially a little on the short side, but not much. I'm 5'8" and learnt in 158cm (now skiing 180cm).

If you're not having massive problems with the boots I think some decent lessons would be the best thing to help you achieve your goal...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hire skis on your next holiday and change to a different pair every day, play around with different lengths and see what you like the best
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think skimottaret, may have the answer, note that it's not just different lengths, different skis have a different stiffness and this can have a dramatic effect on your skiing, perhaps as much if not more than the length of the ski, However before trying new skis I'd actually suggest first of all getting some good ski lessons in resort, a good instructor who can see you skiing will be able to offer far more help than any of us can. They might even be able to get you skiing red runs as well as blue runs wink I'd suggest not upgrading your skis until you are confidently skiing parallel turns/carving turns, there's no way that your existing skis won't be able to cope with that, though you may want to ensure that the bases and edges are in good condition before you ski again, a damaged base with grooves in, caused by skiing over a rock can have a dramatic effect on a skis performance.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nixtoo wrote:
Im just starting to parallel ski, been a long learning process as I'm a bit of a wuss.

This clue to the answer is probably in the question.

The reason that I'm highlighting the last part is to show that improving your confidence could be key to improving your technical skiing. For sure a different pair of skis can help with that, but I'd also suggest that working with an Instructor/Coach who can build your confidence will do more for you in the long run.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nixtoo wrote:
My boots are nordica (circa 2005). Had them fitted properly at Ellis brigham. Not sure if they'd need upgrading?

May be worth taking a trip to see Colin at www.soutions4feet.co.uk in Bicester (be sure to phone and make an appointment) Bicester also has a Discount designer shopping village so a day out could be had Very Happy Colin will give you an expert opinion.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
As long as you've got your boots sorted it's always worth getting another pair of new skis... Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boots, skis, instructions...

They all play a part in how well a learner progress. It's hard to say which one maybe inhibitting the progress without seeing the OP ski.

Ideally, one should work with an instructor who has a good understanding in equipment!

I got lucky. I took a clinic and my instructor happened to be a boot fitter when he's not instructing. So I got my boot fixed to account for some bio-mechanical issues I had. All of a sudden, I was able to "feel" what all the instructors in the past said I should feel when I do this and that with my feet & skis! So my technique respond much better to instructions since then. The result changed my skiing entirely!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I doubt the skis are limiting your progress at this stage, but you might want to try a few different pairs and lengths to confirm. You may find a preference for something different. If you haven't already got your own boots, or they were fitted as an absolute beginner, I'd start there first.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very unlikely that you're being limited by skis or other equipment. You might find that different boots or skis are slightly easier for you, but you'll still be limited with the new boots or skis just at a slightly different point. The way to progress is practice, or if you're finding that practice isn't helping then lessons and practice. And then more practice. If you're limited to 1 week a year in school holidays then get practice at a slope in the UK for the rest of the year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not the most qualified to answer, but the three weeks I've been skiing I've used bog standard, medium and high end hire skis (in that order) and to be completely honest with you the thing that's made the most difference has been the confidence, not the ski. I've found shorter skis easier to turn, especially on moguls, so for learning I'd actually recommend slightly shorter skis, but longer skis can make you feel a bit safer at speed and the placebo effect with the more expensive skis helps a bit, but it's 90% psychological at this stage.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Iaink wrote:
it's 90% psychological at this stage.

Iaink - that doesn't change even after 30 years!
ski holidays
if you're only just starting to ski parallel, then the most important thing right now is good instruction.
maybe some one to one lessons in an indoor slope before you next go away would help too
ski holidays
One to one lessons on an indoor slope are heinously expensive though. Well, they are at Chill Factore.

I could get 2 hrs one-on-one with an instructor in resort for the same price as 50 minutes in Chill Factore.
snow report
Private on plastic, (make sure instructor BASI 2) would be better value for money.
snow conditions
Another thing to invest in is your overall fitness - skiing one week a year and doing nothing the other 51 weeks will also hinder your progress. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy