Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bought board and boots, looking for bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I've decided to upgrade from my toy-store-quality budget gear to some nicer stuff (actually, I made this decision at the end of last season, but now I'm actually doing something about it). I managed to get a good deal on some 04/05 Vans BFBs in size 11 US ($150 CAD after shipping and taxes), and also got a good deal on an 04/05 Option Signature 160 ($450 CAD after taxes). So now I'm looking for bindings. I'm not going to be able to try them on the hill before buying (want to buy soon so I can get last year's stuff at a discounted price), and unfortunately most of the bindings I've been trying on feel comfy with my boots in the store, but who knows how they'll feel on the hill! And equally important - who knows how they'll hold together throughout a few seasons!
Basically, if you can give tips on strap bindings (ones to look out for or ones to avoid) that would be great. I'm especially looking for something with a fairly thick baseplate, as I'm cutting it a bit close with my foot size and board width.

p.s. I created a similar thread to this before, but we ended up only talking about boards and flow bindings, and I've now bought a board and decided against flows, so in this thread I'm really just looking for reviews of specific strap bindings.

Edit: note that a US boot size of 11 is a UK 10 / Europe 44.5 / 29cm. Also my boots are quite low bulk front to back, and claim to be equivalent to a US 10 in exterior size from other manufacturers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ponder, the BFBs are great boots and I'm really pleased with mine. If you end up having problems with toe drag, you could always add a riser plate between the board and binding (it also makes the turning more responsive by increasing the leverage). Palmer Power Plates should fit any combination of board and binding.

As for specific reviews of strap bindings, I cannot really say too much. Ride bindings seem good but the strap is very sculpted and so you'd need to check compatability with the boots. Burton are well designed (I like the cap-strap idea) but some people say they break a lot. Of all the strap bindings I've used over the years, Burton Missions have been the most comfortable. Salomon bindings are generally well designed and well made.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still haven't bought bindings, but I returned my Option Signature 160 and replaced it with a Never Summer Premier 159. I was getting worried about boot size, as the Sig is substantially narrower than my old board (the signature was only 24.6 cm wide). The Premier is 25.6 cm, so quite wide for a board that is not actually a wide board. It also gets rave reviews, comes with a 3 year warranty, and feels softer than the signaturee did. Graphics blow, but oh well.
As for bindings, I am considering Burton - the 04/05 Cartels and P1s both seem to get good reviews. And I'm definitely considering Salomon and Ride. Since I'll be buying last years models though, only Burton comes with capstraps, which certainly appeals to me from a comfort point of view. With that being said, has anyone here actually tried cap straps? Tony, have you used cap straps with your bfbs? Because you hear the odd review that with certain boots the straps can slip off.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ponder wrote:
Tony, have you used cap straps with your bfbs? Because you hear the odd review that with certain boots the straps can slip off.

Not yet, and I hadn't thought of that so I'll check 'em out carefully in the shop before getting any bindings.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the most important thing about the bindings is not the make but how well they fit your boots. Bindings and boots of the same make generally fit the best. If you do want another make it would be best to check how well the bindings fit the boots before handing over any money.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ponder, I have some Burton bindings with capstraps and I wouldn't go for anything else now.
In fact I have 2 friends who have them and they say the same.

They do give the feeling of being well connected with your board, but without any numbness in the feet caused by over tightening of the toe strap.

I have Salomon boots and they don't seem to be incompatible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll definitely be checking out last season's Burton P1s if I can find them. I tried the cartels with my BFBs, but the BFBs have this sort of strap thing at the top of the boot that you use to help put the boot on, which interferes with the cartels super-high high back, making them impossible to properly use together.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stephen bleakley wrote:
ponder, They do give the feeling of being well connected with your board, but without any numbness in the feet caused by over tightening of the toe strap.

I've got a pair of 32's that are about 3 years old, any reason why they would not work with capstraps?

I like the idea of reducing the pain\numbness from normal straps, I always have difficulties choosing between loosening off the strap to allow my toes to receive blood (!) or keeping the strap tight so I can turn the board properly Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zippy wrote:
stephen bleakley wrote:
ponder, They do give the feeling of being well connected with your board, but without any numbness in the feet caused by over tightening of the toe strap.

I've got a pair of 32's that are about 3 years old, any reason why they would not work with capstraps?

I like the idea of reducing the pain\numbness from normal straps, I always have difficulties choosing between loosening off the strap to allow my toes to receive blood (!) or keeping the strap tight so I can turn the board properly Confused

I don't see why there would be any problem. They would need to be very oddly shaped boots, for capstraps not to work on them.

I had a lot of problem with numbness because of the toe strap. Fitted cap straps to the bindings last year and I've not had any problems since then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been doing alot of research, and have found only one review out of about 50 that says the cap-straps slip up off the toes sometimes during runs. For the most part they seem to work well for almost everyone.
I think I'm going with the Burton P1s or P1 Carbons (tried on Ride SPIs, Flight Tomcats, and Teams, and still felt toe pinching/pressure), but I have to wait until early November, when I'm going on a "buy night" and should be getting awsome deals (it's a long story).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ponder wrote:
I've been doing alot of research, and have found only one review out of about 50 that says the cap-straps slip up off the toes sometimes during runs. For the most part they seem to work well for almost everyone.
I think I'm going with the Burton P1s or P1 Carbons (tried on Ride SPIs, Flight Tomcats, and Teams, and still felt toe pinching/pressure), but I have to wait until early November, when I'm going on a "buy night" and should be getting awsome deals (it's a long story).

yep I think I need to try them on, I bought a fairly cheap board\bindings combo last year after 4 years of hiring and the difference in ability, speed & control was quite frankly staggering. I want to upgrade the bindings first and keep the board for a bit longer before chucking it in...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy