Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz home runs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking of staying at the Milk Hotel in Les Carozz in Grand Massif next year but wife is worried about the red run home - looks like its called "timalets". Does anyone know if this is a difficult run for a timid intermediate? The only alternative seems to be the sarbotte which the piste map shows as dotted blue at the last part and marked "low inclined run". Does anyone know if this is so flat as to be exhausting and does it end near the Milk Hotel? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The timalet is a red run by definition and not a blue pretending to be a red in that it is a constant gradient which is quite steep (not very steep)........ It is nice and wide though but can get busy at the end of the day.

I would advise that your wife does it a few times during the morning (there's a drag lift up the rhs) when it's not busy so that she is confident when it comes to getting home in the evening.

There are also some really nice bits above the final run back to the hotel which nice cafes/bars for a final vin chaude on her way down.

Don't bother with the sarbotte unless you really like skating..... It's only really there so people can still get back to resort when they miss the last lift.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also sarbotte actually cuts in half way up timalets so your wife would still have to do the bottom third.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah but Sarbotte is a walk. There is no proper run at it from Les Molliets and even skating it is tough, give it a miss. Suppose the dog sled might take you along it though, and as Marcellus says you would still have to ski the bottom bit.

Timalets might be too much for her really depending on conditions and ability, the piste is narrowed by about a third when the slalom course is set up and I would say you need a certain level of confidence to ski it even in perfect conditions. If she was nervous rather than timid it might help.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the excellent info- its always difficult to know what she can manage - this year she did a red thinking it was a blue no problem - then wouldnt do it again when she knew what it really was!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can also reach the milk hotel via a 5(ish) minute walk from the bottom of the blue Combe piste, or a short hop on the free bus. As already mentioned by others, Timalets is a genuine red but is fairly wide and well pisted. Enjoy Les Carroz!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Off to Les Carroz next weekend and have been looking through a few piste maps - I am trying to get my head around which runs go uphill and which go downhill? Blush In particular I am trying to work out a route from Tete de Saix back to Carroz beginners area/Gondola station which doesn't involve using Perce Neige as from a few videos I have seen it looks a wee bit flat and uphill for a boarder in places. Any clues or tips?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garioch, Perce-Neige, Chamois and Portet all need a good run at as they have flat sections so probably not suitable for boarders. Corbalanche might be OK but I have not skied that. Perce-Neige is the only one that takes you directly to where you want to go anyway so you may have to bite the bullet and walk a bit.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garioch, You can use the Chamois and Marmottes down to the Molliets lift to get back up to the LC end of the Perce-Neige. Only problem may be queues at the lift near the end of the day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Basil, chamois has flat bits too? A red with flat bits...hmmm. Thanks for the info.

P10DW, thanks for that advice, the top end of marmottes was one of runs I couldn't quite work out whether it went up or down. I'm sure it will all make sense in the flesh.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Garioch, The top of Chamois is very red but there is a flatish run from the bottom along to the L'Airon chair. Skiing it is OK as long as you straight line from about 1/2 way down the final pitch but not sure how suited it is to boarding. If you gave it a go you may find you would have to walk perhaps 200m to get to a down slope. If you go up the L'Airon chair you will get a good view of Chamois and be able to decide if you can make it. Take Blanchot down from the LC telekabine to the Oasis drag, up this lift and then down Darbon to the L'Airon chair.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We lunched at the Milk hotel on Saturday. Most impressed with the food.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottc, we stay at the Milk on boys' trips every year (have done for the last decade or so, since the old Bois de la Char days; we're a bit dull).

It's run by Christophe, a really good guy, and is very good value. Wholeheartedly recommended.

Bit of a schlepp into Les Carroz in the evenings, mind you. I'd say 10 minutes in and 15 minutes back.

There are a couple of decent bars - the Pont Noir is our usual hangout, but there are posher ones, including the place next door the name of which I forget. But the hotel bar is fine and the food is very good, so no need to go out to eat.

(If you do want to eat out but don't fancy the walk into the village, there's a very good restaurant just across the green track down to the village from the Milk Hotel. In the village itself, Les Airelles is very nice.)

Les Timolets itself is a perfectly doable run for intermediate skiers, though there's a nasty bottleneck near the top where the blue turns into red. Towards the end of the day it gets mogully and chopped up and is very busy. She will not like that, going on what you have said.

However, it's only a hundred yards or so long, and she could easily clip out and walk it. Once she gets to the top of the home run it's a good 100 - 150 yards wide and, while also mogully and busy, it's perfectly easy.

There is a nice bar at the top of the bottleneck, where she could have a drink to get her courage up and enjoy the end of the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil, thanks for that wee heads up. I guess it will all make a bit more sense in the flesh, I hate walking anywhere on a hill. A hill by definition should slope from top to bottom! Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Writing this from the lounge in the Milk Hotel. Having taken Sarbottes today looking for the Haute Combe restaurant I agree with the others - there is about 1400m of skating and some uphill sections, also it comes out halfway down the Timalets anyway. However the steep section really is only about 400 metres, but busy around last lift times, but if you take care then it would be ok. Well worth the effort though as the Milk Hotel is fantastic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy