Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying 1 st ladies off piste/black bumps skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife wants a good light ski for bumps and off piste as she finds her Head Titans quite heavy, especially as the day wears on. She loves the titans for carving and any pisted slopes. I can vouch for them being heavy as I often have to carry both hers and mine, and they are very solid ! Any recommendations much appreciated. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cstreat,

I always find it slightly odd that anyone complains of "heavy" skis. Your skis should be on the snow and while angular momentum will have a play, I'm not convinced it's such a huge effect, particularly as much of the weight is in the bindings, thus close to the axis of rotation.

And your wife loves the skis on piste.

I'd make a first suggestion that there's something going on technique wise that is making them feel "heavy" - borne out by it getting worse during the day as she gets tired.

That aside, your problem is that the characteristics of a good bumps ski (short, narrow, stiff, relatively straight) are not those of a good off piste ski (wide, longer, softer, possibly more waisted).

Not helpling much am I? Bt unless you are sure technique is not the problem, a private lesson is a cheaper solution than new skis...

Otherwise, a short Volkl Kendo might be a good compromise.

(P.S. I hope everyone has noticed that I have not simply remarked, in a curmudgeonly fashion that in my youth a good bumps, powder, piste, carving and speed ski was a nice 203cm GS model. Them were the days. Skis were, in fairness, much lighter Twisted Evil Shock Twisted Evil Twisted Evil)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cstreat, My recommendation would be you defiantly shouldn't be carting your wife's skis around. Apart from that what
under a new name, said is sound.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob, A gentleman only carries a lady's skis for one reason. I don't think you should get in the way of their married habits he he he...

Actually, I think the original line was, "a ski rep only carries his punter's skis for one reason..."
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you look at mogul skis (proper ones) they seem to be super thin, almost like the old straight ones so would that mean what's good for one would be bad for the other?

Mind you, what do I know but it would be interesting to find out what the industry types say about this
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No really, Head titans really are heavy,promise, but I agree private lessons would be money well spent?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidhammy, I think that's what I said?

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bumps is the only place the ski might be in air rather than snow. So light ski could potentially be a nice change. Though in reality, most people not competing in mogul competition keep their ski on the snow even in moguls.

So before completely tossing the idea of a lighter ski for bumps, better know what kind of bumps skiing your wife likes to do.

Carrying the ski up the hill does feel the weight. But it's such a small differential considering all the other things one is already carrying for off-piste skiing, I don't think it really matters.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You really notice the weight of the skis when skating I find. Depends if you tend to skate or pole on flats I guess...

Not really a huge issue compared to downhill performance for me though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just looked at Scott Rosa`s; half the weight of Titan`s which have a solid metal race plate under the binding. Just have to wait a while to test the Rosa`s.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobmcstuff wrote:
You really notice the weight of the skis when skating I find. Depends if you tend to skate or pole on flats I guess...

But how often do you skate? And for how long?

I don't recall much about skating in all of my skiing trips! Ok, except the one from Hidden Valley back to the Dolomite proper. The rest of the skating I ever done were about 5 strides max. And this comes from someone who love skating pass others... Wink

Yes, I do notice the weight. But since it's rarely done and even more rare to skate for any significant distance, I just never remember it at all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, yeah not long for sure, was just pointing it out as the main time I notice weight. And I did say it wasn't a huge issue Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FWIW my wife is an advanced skier (skis any run on the mountain and most off piste). she has tried many skis, most skis with demo bindings and/or mens skis she will say they are "too heavy", regardless of wether she knows they have a demo binding or not. She has always been happy with ladies specific skis, worth a look in the sales for women specific advanced skis?

Something like the Maya?

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/29282/products/head_mya_no_8_womens_skis.aspx

or the Luna?

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/29937/products/scott_luna_womens_2012_skis_skis_only_.aspx

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy