Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland's finally done - unless you hike!

Poster: A snowHead
Excellent effort on 31 straight.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed. I think I've done less than 31 hours up there in total Embarassed

Must try harder!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, you must lol! Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A couple of days ago someone said to me "aye no a bad start to the season....", well it certainly wasn't a bad start to May on CairnGorm Mountain:

^Funicular heads for the tunnel. White Lady sweet groomed snow between the elephant fence and the Funicular.

^Heading for the White Lady by the Ptarmigan viewing terrace.

^Looking over the Top Basin from the Ptarmigan Ridge.

More Pix and full report: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=791
Public Reports: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3012
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it ski time this weekend Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
leedsunited, yup loads of snow still on the hill with a forecast of cold and fresh snow for the weekend!

Off piste was crazy good today snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, Spring snow I assume?? How windy are they saying this weekend wIll be??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, yeah spring snow but very good on the top runs, on the plateau and in Sneachda, rubbish by the end of the day at the bottom of the Gunbarrel and thereabouts.

The forecasts I've seen suggest the wind will be relatively light, Saturday 10mph, Sunday 5mph.

Main issue may be vis at times with snow showers across both days but turning heavier into Sunday afternoon and Monday. Potentially a very good weekend with decent amounts of fresh snow on top of what is now pretty much total cover above mid station, although I suspect it won't be quite as superb as last Saturday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, cheers, just found out we have plans Sat and Sun, I'm wondering about trying to time a trip mid week hopefully after the snow showers have eased...will keep an eye on various sites.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice to see some honest from the 'Gorm on Facebook!

Quote:
Due to the very warm temperatures over the last couple of days, there is now a short walk required back to the M1, and mid platform, via zig zag, 105,lady and M1 piste. There is also no snow on the M1 queuing area.The top bowls are still in great condition, and there is still great sliding to be had on most of the Lady, M1 and upper Cas.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A few pix from CairnGorm Mountain on Thursday 3rd May:

^Looking down the Traverse into Coire Cas.

^Some park features up top, park has been rebuilt during Friday, now with an easy line and an advanced technical line through the park. Several rails/boxes leading to a sizeable kicker half way down the Fairway.

^Off piste on the Sneachda side of Fiacaill a' Choire Chais.

^M1 RaceTrack fence to fence till the timing hut, best route via Horizon Road and the 105.

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3018

Seven lifts scheduled for the weekend with the Cas T-bar (making it's Spring debut!) and West Wall Poma for the Top Basin if demand requires it.

It's turned much colder today, def not t-shirt skiing weather on CairnGorm this evening as it's -7c on the Summit currently and snow showers are continuing to come in through this evening. A covering of windblown fresh on a firm to hardpacked base. Further snow showers overnight expected, best riding in the morning likely to be where the fresh is accumulated best - quite a bit of drifting up top this evening and on recently groomed stuff. Hopefully some stuff will be worked over in the morning by the winchcat or the other large groomer with a new tiller, as they were transformational to previously very hardpacked surfaces in the Top Basin in January. Pick good edges of rockhoppers this weekend though! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

^Hitting a brand new wide rail on the Ciste Fairway. Top Basin runs have good cover, extensive moderate off-piste on the Ptarmigan Ridge / upper most reaches of the East Wall.

^Upper Cas loosened first to spring snow. Loading at top of Gunbarrel. Lots of unusual lines possible with good snow far out in the boulderfield area!

^Longest queue of the day on the Ciste Tow!

^Farming snow to improve the 105 into the M1 queuing area.

Full Report & Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=794
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like a promising holiday Monday with a covering of fresh overnight. Think dealing with these emails and stuff I've missed first tracks on the part of Coronation Wall groomed yesterday evening though!

snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pix from the Holiday Monday: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=795

^Looking over the Ptarmigan Bowl from near the Ptarmigan Restaurant.

Looking promising for Wednesday for anyone who can get up for a midweek slide:

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scotsman Article
snow report
Another morning, another covering of fresh and further snow showers through the day on Wednesday, but today was the calm before the storm, blizzards forecast for Thursday so given the forecast windspeeds more likely to be a day for webcam watching and a case of wait and see what happens, but if any lifts do open tomorrow - it should be fresh tracks every run, but don't head up without checking the latest in the morning. CML have promised an 8.30ish update tomorrow, first train up is scheduled for 10.20am.

Back to Wednesday, where the Funicular, Ciste Tow, M1 Poma and for the afternoon the Ptarmigan Tow provided the access to the May fun:

^Little bit of leg work earned fresh tracks at the end of the day in the Ciste Mhearaidh, a short distance beyond the Ptarmigan Tow on the SE side of CairnGorm.

^Empty Ptarmigan Traverse after the lifts had closed. Full cover across the Ptarmigan Bowl and Ptarmigan Ridge. Fairway and Ciste Bowl in great shape too.

^Coronation Wall (accessed from Ptarmigan Tow) was riding beautifully in the afternoon, not powder, not spring snow, but like a sort of unusual hybrid that just worked!

^Ptarmigan Ridge was offering sweet moderate off-piste with fresh tracks when the Ptarmigan Tow opened for the afternoon.

Full Report: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=796
snow conditions
We had an amazing trip to the Cairngorms last week and again at the weekend! We've put together a little video of our trip...

Cairngorm Backcountry Skiing May 2012 from LD Mountain Centre
http://vimeo.com/41627243
snow report
Quote:
Calling all skiers and boarders....Scotland's not done yet!!
But alas, no mention of Cairngorm being open on the current Skiclub of GB report!! Sad .

Skiclub of where?! Pretty disgraceful really....

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/overview/default.aspx
snow conditions
LDMC1966,

Nice video! You certainly are an intrepid pair.

At about 1:00 there's a quick caption which gives the title as "Caringorm Back-country" - you might want to change it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks, we've spotted the typo and are working on getting it sorted...
snow report
Great stuff, LDMC1966, it made me envious.
So why the corporate sounding LDMC and are you regular Scottish skiers?

By the way, is there still skiing in the West for those with skins?

Edit: I put a question on SCGB Chat as to why they didn't seem to be covering Scotland.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 10-05-12 14:52; edited 2 times in total
latest report
LDMC1966, Nice snowHead
snow conditions
Hmm, it's my birthday next week, skied once before in Scotland on the same date....can I find some time to get up there next week??????
ski holidays
LDMC1966, I met the two of you on the walk down at the end of the day, chatted there and in the car park - great video, kinda sums up that week Very Happy
snow conditions
kitenski, it's my b'day on the 25th ... the way the snows going I might have the beginnings of a cunning plan in my head ... Toofy Grin
latest report
No friends today?

Cool Cool
ski holidays
Pix from Friday: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=797

^Snowing at the mid-station.

Now snowed for over 24 hours with over a foot of fresh on CairnGorm Mountain. Can ski back to mid-station and the M1 Poma via various routes once again. Zig Zags fully passable providing a route for less experienced riders, though cutting into Gunbarrel after 2nd leg of ZZs best route today.

With care it was possible to ride back to the Daylodge via the Carpark / Burnside Runs. Yes you heard that right, CairnGorm goes top to bottom on 11th May!

Come get some.... snowHead
latest report
What are the odds of it still being open for the June bank holiday? Was in the west Christmas and all was stormbound, then end of March at Cairngorm there was no snow - would be good to get some June skiing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well MWIS says:

Quote:
In the longer term, there is evidence that the unseasonal cold will continue until late in the month, with overall snow-melt
in Scotland being very slow, and further fresh snowfalls likely.

June, well that's an eternity away in terms of Scottish Weather!
ski holidays
Some photos from CairnGorm Mountain's aMAYzing Saturday!

^Busy outside the Top Station on Saturday morning!

^Tracked up East Lady late morning. Some leg work in Coire na Ciste got fresh turns later in the day in the Aonach Bowl and on the East Wall.

Full Report & Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=798

More in the Public Reports: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?22,2012-05-12
snow report
I'm considering driving up on Friday, do you think the snow will hold out to make it worth while?
snow report
Quote:
I'm considering driving up on Friday, do you think the snow will hold out to make it worth while?
Given the snow depths on the upper mountain, I would say yes - but (as ever with Scotland) best to make a final decision a day or two before.

Meanwhile, here are a few pics from our ski tour at Cairngorm yesterday:

Approaching the car park:

The only way is up:

Heading over the back from the summit:

Soft snow in sunny Ciste Mhearaidh:

Panorama from The Traverse:

M1:

Skiable to the daylodge...just:
snow report
Saturday was some day. Getting fresh turns all day and the weather was just superb!

Heres my short go-pro video hopefully it captures just how good it was!

http://youtube.com/v/KKbPmYjQQG8
snow conditions
Fab photos and videos guys, looks almost as good as 2 weekends ago NehNeh (ignore me I'm just jealous Wink )

Here's the latest from Cairngorm:
Quote:
Top Station Weather, 35 - 45 MPH, WSW, -2.0C, Snowing and drifting at top, and sleet at car park level.
The tunnel mouth is blocked with drifting snow at present and the team are heading up to start digging out, and assess any storm damage from yesterday.
With the current weather conditions at the top, it is unlikely we can offer snowsports up there. We are assessing other possibilities at present, but it may be only the train for access and a wallk now required back to the mid station.

Forecasts are suggesting heavy snow and whiteout conditions on Monday and Tuesday.

Sounds like some more awesome skiing could be on the cards later in the week if the weather plays ball!

I believe there are only around 30 resorts open at the moment worldwide (the southern hemisphere season hasn't kicked off yet) but this rate we may have a new European summer resort! Wink
ski holidays
clearly Snivel aren't Scottish fans!!

Quote:
We've recently waved a sad farewell to the northern hemisphere 2011/2012 ski and board season
snow report
clearly Snivel aren't Scottish fans!!

Quote:
We've recently waved a sad farewell to the northern hemisphere 2011/2012 ski and board season
snow conditions
Never heard of Snivel before but on a quick Google found their site and there is mention of the Scottish season continuing on their forum.

Is the site UK, Euro or NA based?
ski holidays

snowHead
snow report
^ this is incredible! Has anyone told Scotland it's actually mid-May?
ski holidays
Piccadilly, shhhhh! snowHead Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy