Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis and Arctic exploration

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A fascinating article by Ingie Christopherson of the DHO, reproduced by kind permission from their latest journal...
Quote:
...Eskimos were there - bartering took place for goods against Eskimo women - but the British Empire struggled on in uniforms and silly clothing, no doubt even maintaining the class and officer-and-other-ranks divisions. Had they had skis, had they trusted the Eskimos to guide them, had they learnt from the Eskimos how to fish, hunt, survive, they could have walked out of the whole nightmare. Instead they returned to the ships and one by one succumbed to the horrors of the Arctic wastes. Cannibalism has even been suggested....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I seem to remember reading in the Shackleton biography by Roland Huntford that one of the antipodean members of an Antarctic expedition was the only one to take skis, the British members of the team saw this as some sort of newfangled toy and thought no more of it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, Very interesting. My favourite bit was

"....... he and Mr. Johansen (they shared a sleeping bag but called each other Mr. Nansen and Mr. Johansen throughout the 18-month trip!)"

Conjured up a picture of Eric and Ernie to me Laughing .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy