Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St anton, alpe'd'huez, or serre chevalier?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been deliberating between St anton, serre chevalier
And alpe'd'huez for the last three months, and cannot
Decide. Please help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Jakey, Welcome to SnowHeads.
I've Never been to Serre Chevalier (Not in the winter anyway), so I cant comment on that.

But I'd go for Stanton anytime.
Great skiing, huge area, raucous apres ski.
If you don't like that .... Go to Alpe d'Huez
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends what you like really. If you want to drink a lot St Anton
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only ever skiied in small resorts, so a large and varied ski area is ideal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to all 3, although only day trips in December to St Anton. The three resorts are very different, both in terms of atmosphere and skiing. The skiing at each is extensive, but with very a very different feel. What type of skiing are you looking for? What are you looking for off the snow? Out of the 3 I personally preferred Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As others have said: depends on what you want, how well you ski, your budget, etc.

I have done a good chunk of 18 winters in St Anton, so obviously biased that way. St Anton, which is part of the Arlberg ski pass area, offers huge variety. It is lifted-connected access to St Christoph, Zürs, Lech, Stuben, Warth, and Schröcken. There is a free bus to connect to Sonnenkopf.

To get the best out of St Anton itself, you should be at least a confident red run skier. The other villages offer more blue variety.

I have not been to the other 2 resorts, so cannot offer a comparison.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied all 3 although I haven't been to St Anton for some time. As previously stated I think St Anton is less suitable for lower intermediates, you would have to seek out easier stuff. The other 2 have a wide range from really easy upwards. All 3 are big areas. Off piste is probably more obvious and accessible in St Anton, there were some really nice unpisted itineraries too. St Anton has a big drinking culture which doesn't really exist at the other two. Price wise I found St Anton very reasonable to eat and have a couple of drinks although it was a few years ago and I was with my daughter so subdued. A bit less than Alpe d'huez and a bit more than Serre Cevalier, this may have changed though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm starting off in off-piste skiing, and I'm really enjoying it, so a good off-piste area is really good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jakey wrote:
I'm starting off in off-piste skiing, and I'm really enjoying it, so a good off-piste area is really good.

The Snowheads off piste bash is held in Serre Chevalier every year.
@Weathercam and @KenX are the resident experts on of piste in Serre Chevalier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jakey, there is a lot of personal preference here, you are likely to have a good time in each of them. The Arlberg is one of the best spots for off piste around and it has one of the best snow records in the Alps, however its popularity means that the easily accessible off piste gets skied out very quickly. There is a huge amount more potential if you are prepared to get away from the lifts and away from the most well known spots such as the Schindler and Madloch areas. There are also many ski routes (itineraries) of varying difficulties which bridge the gap between "on" and "off" piste. Apres ski is not a consideration for the upcoming season.

In terms of size the Arlberg and Alpe d'Huez would be better than Serre Chevalier and both are probably more snow sure too. For big dumps of snow Serre Chevalier needs particular weather conditions (eg https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/248815) as noted above look up @Weathercam posts which have a lot of detail including his ski touring dogs Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd probably go for St Anton if you want to party and Serre Che if you aren't so bothered about that. I'd suspect that accommodation would be cheaper in Serre Che but could be wrong on that.

Alpe d'huez certainly isn't a bad option (I did a season there many years ago and still visit from time to time) but the easily accessible off piste isn't very exciting. The good stuff is very committing (ie a long way from pistes for a long time and requires good navigation as well as all the other skills) so probably not ideal unless you have lots of cash for guides
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jakey, Could you list your criteria on what you want to base your decisions. What is important to you in the choice of a ski resort? For example if you hate massive lift queues or crowded pistes then St. Anton would not be a good choice. On the other hand if you like to drink a lot then St. Anton would be an excellent choice. All 3 resorts have plusses and minuses. Without knowing what you think is important it is not possible to make a reccomendation. No resort is perfect for everyone.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm really only interested in the skiing. Restraunts, apres ski and that sort of thing don't really interest me. I'd like a large varied ski area, and good snow reliability. Lift queues aren't a major issue for me, but it's preferable if there weren't any. Good off-piste is also nice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two points: firstly, the apres/drinking scene will not be anything like previous years. It will be very subdued, eg reserved seating, no standing, masks between tables and toilet, etc. So, forget about picking a resort based on its party reputation.

Secondly, St Anton queues are an overstated problem. Apart from first lifts up, and days of wind-hold/avi holds, you would be unlucky to queue for more than a few minutes, except at some known choke points, eg Madloch just before lunch.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jakey wrote:
.... Good off-piste is also nice.

Well, there is almost unlimited off-piste in the Arlberg, ranging from the readily lift-accessible lines like Bachseite, to full-on ski touring in true back-country.
ski holidays
I have skied all three. Not really done much off piste, although could see that there is a load at Serre Chevalier if you like skiing between trees.

Price wise, parts of Serre Chevalier will be the cheapest. Probably at the Briancon end, however it gets quite windy on Serre Chevalier.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-11-20 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
it's not very useful to deliberate too much these days.
You better first wait and see what happens in december, whether lifts and hotels will open at all...
snow conditions
@DrLawn, @Arno, @johnE, why are you referring to St.Anton's apres-ski, whilst already it is clear there will not be any apres ski this season? Why this bla-bla? Not very helpful...
ski holidays
@Jakey, I've skied all three. Dribs and drabs St Anton, once SC and several times ADH.

If you've only ever skied small resorts and are just getting into off piste all three will be a nice step up and meet the large varied ski area, good lift system criteria. "Snow reliability" isn't really a thing - they are all snow sure in season - as in they will be open with plenty of piste skiing. Off piste if you book in advance you are in the lap of the weather gods. If you can book late you can at least mitigate against a drought spell.
latest report
@Langerzug, if you want to be pedantic, the OP didn't say it was this coming season Wink. but fair point
ski holidays
Having skied SC last January I was very disappointed in the infrastructure of the resort compared to Austrian ones such as Fiss or Sallbach. Antiquated lifts which took an age to get up the mountain and more breakdowns of lifts (very busy ski bus back from Briancon
snow report
I've heard that about serre chevalier, it does seem like a pain, especially for such a big resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy