Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North American options

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jonny Jones wrote:
Continuing your example of Jackson, when the tram disgorges its contents, the crowds disperse into the wide open spaces of Rendezvous bowl in seconds with no feeling of claustrophobia.

That's the part I never understand! Why does EVERYONE, and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE, had to jump on their skis the very second they got off the tram and head right back down with the crowd???

I typically go to the loo, or whip out my camera, or just take a quick sip of water and admire the view. Within about 30 seconds, the "crowd" disappear down the piste (still in a tightly formed clump). I got to enjoy the piste for the next 20 minute till the next cable car arrives!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-04-12 16:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob wrote:
abc wrote:

All those talk of pushing and shoving that's all over this board, well, I haven't experienced it (except once about 20 years ago)!

Clearly you haven't been somewhere like Les 2 Alpes when high wind has hut down most upper mountain lifts and there is a massive resorts worth of people trying to crowd onto one of the under capacity lower mountain chairs. Europe is at it's worst precisely because of the size of ski areas which mean when funnelling people back to a common point at the end of the day pistes can become severely congested - e.g. the Pierre a Ric in Grands Montets, Happy Valley in St Anton. the long flat home run in Engelberg etc etc.

And you haven't been to Squaw Valley 2 weeks ago! When the same "high wind has hut down most upper mountain lifts and there is a massive resorts worth of people trying to crowd onto one of the under capacity lower mountain chairs"!

Quote:
My impression, based on reasonably extensive observation, is that European pistes are, on average busier than N American ones. There can be many reasons for this including cultural ones such as skiing in Europe being a predominantly 6 day holiday, a weeked acivity in N America, lack of controlled off piste in Europe etc etc

There's valid reason why piste in Europe are more crowded (lack of FREE off-piste). But that's the whole point of this thread. If you just want to ski on piste, you'll find N. American mountains extremely limited!

Yes, you may have the piste all to yourself. As long as you don't mind going up and down the same very piste over and over again, that is!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc, I've been at Squaw plenty of times on those days when the KT single line snakes across to Red dog, which is why I'd ride Red dog and Resort chair in preference, notwithstanding that KT is the better terrain. However despite the Broitude that sometimes prevails line discipline is generally pretty good rather than the anarchy you'd get in France or Italy in the same circumstances.

I think however broadly we're in violent agreement - N America isn't at its best for people who like mile after mile of piste cruising and certain "reputation" resorts e.g. Squaw are pretty terrible. Mt Baker is IMO one of the world's funnest ski areas but would score almost zero by many measures of the typical European holiday skier:

Fast modern lifts
Convenient accomodation
Food
Nightlife
Grooming
Piste km
Not in a rainforest/cloud
Don't need a plastic bag over your goretex
Shops
Doesn't feel like the Shining
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Mt.Baker seconded.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James Cove is way off IMHO davidof
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:

There's valid reason why piste in Europe are more crowded (lack of FREE off-piste). But that's the whole point of this thread. If you just want to ski on piste, you'll find N. American mountains extremely limited!

Yes, you may have the piste all to yourself. As long as you don't mind going up and down the same very piste over and over again, that is!

Checking the Whistler Blackcomb website there are 129 groomed runs / 1282 groomed acres available this morning. Not that limited! N America is quite a large place, not all resorts are the same. Bit like Europe really
rolling eyes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a hell of a lot of stereotyping on this thread. While it's true that there are less NA resorts catering primarily for piste cruisers, it certainly doesn't follow that NA is a bad place to go for groomers. There are plenty of fantastic groomed runs to be found over the pond, often with few crowds and great snow. It just has a different feel over there and a different culture.

It is just nonsense for anyone looking for mainly groomed skiing to dismiss the whole NA continent. If you can afford the trip and you like the culture, then skiing in NA has plenty to offer and is well worth every penny. As with Europe not all NA resorts are the same by any means, so the stereotyping is a bit daft too.

Bottom line, if I could find the type of skiing and lifestyle I enjoy in Canada closer to home I wouldn't bother making the trip every year. Simple as that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kosciosco, Back to the original question, I'd recommend a 2 week tour of the Okanagan Valley. Canadian skiing at its best with plenty of quality groomed terrain on offer. Often described as an intermediate skier's paradise and a great place to learn to ski powder and trees. Resorts like Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks immediately come to mind to suit the OP's preferences. Plus you could always head out to the likes of Revelstoke, Red Mountain etc for a more gnarly experience. As far as I'm aware, there isn't anywhere in Europe that offers the same experience, but if there is I really want to know about it! Forget the Daily Mail ski resort stats, they don't mean poo-poo in real life. I mean on paper somewhere like Le Plagne looks better for an intermediate piste cruiser but does absolutely nothing for me personally. Just miles and miles of featureless exposed piste and a fugly village. Although I did find the off-piste quite interesting, but i digress....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy