Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for France

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking at France for the February half term in 2013. Luckily for us the French school holidays do not coincide with ours here in Oxfordshire.

We have done Les Gets a few times and by and large we like what the resort has to offer – Cute village, reasonably extensive slopes and connection to PdS, accommodation close to the lifts, close to Geneva airport. We are intermediates who for the most part are happy cruising the blues and reds.

Although we like Les Gets we also like to explore new places so would be keen hear of any alternative suggestions for France.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rdwags, nice one Oxfordshire Laughing The French Alps are your oyster. Megeve, La Clusaz, Les Carroz, Samoens, Les Contamines (not totally sure about accommodation as we have only had day trips there)? I would look at Megeve.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a brouse of this brochure. It should give you some ideas:

http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1313058761_SMB2011_guidStations_ok.pdf
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want to save a few quid take a look at St Sorlin D'Arves. Part of the Sybelles area with 200km+ of mainly blue/red slopes. It's a traditional french mountain village and far cheaper than the larger resorts. Not far from Chambery.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about Tarentaise Valley accessible from the same Geneva airport.

It is the world's biggest skiing paradise with no less than 1600km piste (the whole of PDS has just 650km and some of them are not linked).

In that valley you can find Valmorel, 3v (Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thoren with 600km piste fully linked), Paradiski (La Plagnes & Les Arcs, 425km linked piste), Ste Foy, La Rosiere/La Thuile(In Italy) and Espace Killy (Tignes * Val D 'Isere with 300 linked piste).

That is the best the French can offer in term of the modern and mega size resorts! In my opinion people have not seen the true France unless they have sampled some of the large resorts in this valley.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rdwags, we are very fond of St Gervais and it ticks a lot of your boxes - there are a couple of decent apartment buildings either right on top of the gondola base station or within a 2 minute drive/10 minute walk. There are also some very good catered chalets, privately run, and offering shuttles to and from the station. The village is lovely, prices are reasonable, very easy 50 mins or so drive from GVA, excellent skiing for all levels. PM is you'd like info on the accommodation.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rdwags, agree with Anniepen, we like St Gervais a lot. Although we do live in Les Gets ourselves in the winter we have friends in St Gervais and really enjoy the skiing over there. We have been to one the apartment building near the gondola that Anniepen, is probably referring to - friends rented an apartment there a few years ago - quite spacious - I think she did need to stamp her foot a bit to get the right bathroom/bedroom spec that they had booked so they ended up with something quite big for four of them. Also had other friends who have booked chalets or apartments in the town and they go back most years - just need to make sure if you have your own car with you that the parking is not difficult.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cut to the chase and go to Val d'Isere.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everybody for the all suggestions so far.

Lots of bedtime reading Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Luckily for us the French school holidays do not coincide with ours here in Oxfordshire

But I thought that the French school hols - staggered as they are - generally cover just about all of February plus the first week of March Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, hmm later next season, mid Feb to mid March, for some reason. Easter end of March (for us the Easter hols start on Good Friday). Sadly we can't do Easter next year as I think that would be a good option.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Luckily for us the French school holidays do not coincide with ours here in Oxfordshire.

French hols in 2013 are mid Feb - mid March so I think a lot of English half terms (11 - 15 Feb seems a popular week though my son in law's West Sussex school is on half term the following week) will be good from that point of view. However, that does mean that to make the most of quieter slopes and lower prices you need to go somewhere where other Brits don't go in hordes. If you give everywhere in the standard TO brochures a miss that still leaves you with a choice between the vast majority of French resorts!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our half tern is the 11 to 15th February.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rdwags, well if you go to a resort popular with Brits it'll be busy (assuming Oxfordshire isn't the only area with half term that week) but if you go somewhere where TOs don't, you could have a really quiet time and, if renting direct from a French owner, much cheaper rentals. As an example of the staggering cost difference before, and after, the French hols see this. http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/planning.htm

350 euros for the week before the French hols started but 950 the following week! An apartment right in the main village would cost a bit more (and some are rather old and cramped) but the price difference would still apply. If you like Les Gets you might well like Les Saisies - area can't compare with the size of the PdS (185 lift linked kms) but otherwise fits the bill quite well and is larger than many of the alternatives. A bit further from Geneva, but not much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
French school holidays are here:

http://www.education.gouv.fr/print_calendrier_v2.php?annee1=9

Paris is 3rd to 17th March 2013.

11th to 15th February should miss everyone!
ski holidays
As Colin B said. St Sorlin is a great village resort (although it's not so small anymore!) Was really quiet there last half term and because it's frequented mainly by French visitors it will be very quiet went it's not the French holidays.
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
If you want to save a few quid take a look at St Sorlin D'Arves. Part of the Sybelles area with 200km+ of mainly blue/red slopes. It's a traditional french mountain village and far cheaper than the larger resorts. Not far from Chambery.

That looks pretty good value. Browsing through their website the passes are very cheap to.

Have you ever been for Christmas/New Year? I'm looking for a resort for two weeks that period next year.
snow conditions
cringingwhinging, nowhere will be 'cheap' for those two weeks - New Year in particular, is the most expensive of the season, but still sells itself IME. Difference between cheap and value though, so perhaps decide on your budget, what is important to you in a ski resort, whether you'll self cater or want catered/hotel and then look at what's around.
ski holidays
Anniepen wrote:
cringingwhinging, nowhere will be 'cheap' for those two weeks - New Year in particular, is the most expensive of the season, but still sells itself IME. Difference between cheap and value though, so perhaps decide on your budget, what is important to you in a ski resort, whether you'll self cater or want catered/hotel and then look at what's around.

Sorry, you misunderstand. I didn't mean the costs, I meant the snow, conditions, etc..

I go that time every year. Have been Les Gets the last couple of years. It RAINED this new year at resort level, though it was dumping half a metre a day higher up.

On the Chevannes side apartments, we lost power sometime during the day on the Thursday and it didn't come back on before we left Saturday!

Conditions I was more interested in.
snow conditions
cringingwhinging, I've been a couple of times but only at February half term. St Sorlin is reasonably high and from memory it tops out at about 2700M so it ought to be OK. Improvements to the lift system have been made since I last went in 2007, I'm not sure what the snow making situation is like.
snow conditions
OK many thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy