Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what would you do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Scenario is your 9 year old exits the speed run at 54 km/h, hits a bump and loses one ski, takes a tumble and loses the 2nd ski. She is in a heap crying and complaining of a sore ankle.

After xing skis above her, comforting her and leaving her in position for 5-10mins she stops crying, she can stand but cannot put any weight on her foot, and still complains of a sore ankle.

You are at the bottom of a dead end slope, miles from your hotel and car, with your wife and older child.

What would you do?

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 14-04-12 22:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does the scenario include...nobody else around, no mobile phone no uplift from dead end slope? otherwise just call the local patrol.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a parent you'd have a better idea of whether she genuinely can't put any weight on her foot or is playing for sympathy because she doesn't want to ski any more. If she really can't put weight on her foot I'd call slope patrol.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Tell her to man up and get back on her skis...

If that doesn't work, tell her that the bears come out when it gets dark so she might not want to sit there all night...

If neither of those work take the older child to the nearest pub and wait there while the wife sorts it out...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, sorry to hear that Sad Hope she is ok.

Patrol probably unless there was an option of 'shuffling' child to a nearby bar/base area to wait with one adult whilst the other went to bring the car over.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, she is fine, thanks.

We were at the outer limits of the ski area, so after 10-15 mins I called ski patrol. The medical man agreed with me that we didn't want to remove the boot, so she was put into a blood wagon, then lifted on the front of a piste basher to the top of the slope, where the ski patrol took her down to the bottom in the blood wagon (now he was a great skier, I've never appreciated the speed they can achieve whilst towing a wagon)!

She was then taken to the Drs, x-rayed and declared fit with a bruised bone. Ibuprofen & ice did the trick and she appears fine now.

My main concern was wether she had broken her ankle, so I decided to leave the boot on and call ski patrol.

Car was in Zurs, we were in Lech! once she got to the Drs, I skied back to Zurs, got the car, drove over and she was all sorted by then!

Now for the medical claim...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, pleased to hear that.

We had two encounters with ski patrol last week in the US and I was impressed. The first was that one of the kids in our party was blood waggonned off the mountain after a fall 10 mins before the end of his lesson, he was absolutely fine but was waggonned just to be sure. They took him to the first aid centre at the base where he was assessed. There was no charge for this, I was really surprised. There would only have been a charge if they had taken him off the hill and down to the hospital but apparently recovery within the resort is included in the lift ticket.

The second incident was finding a lone skier fallen and crying on Easter Sunday morning whilst we were doing an egg hunt on a quiet slope. She was really distressed, thought she had broken her arm. We did the crossed skis and called ski patrol who arrived with a wagon within 5 mins. We lent her our phone to call her husband. The patrol guy made a quick assessment and then radioed for a 'doo' to transport her. She was so distressed that he then offered her pain relief on the spot which she said she would have and so he then radioed for 'ALS' to come too, apparently she would then get some kind of IV narcotic and oxygen. We called the lady's husband for her to let him know that ski patrol were with her and where they would take her. We then wished her well and left her with ski patrol. Again very impressed with the service.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, massively off topic, but any chance of some details about your USA trip? Price, where you went, how it compared, what the kids thought etc etc ?? Maybe a new thread would be better Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a similar experience with my son after a wee crash and he claimed he had hurt his knee I was all for trying to get him to ski but Mrs T bar thought we shoud get the patrol. They arrived and blood wagoned him off the hill. He was taken to the meical centre and they gave him the all clea. Cost me a small fortune getting him down when I was pretty sure there ws nowt the matter witrh him. He gets no sympathy now. Mothers are I suspect a little overprotective.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
Mothers are I suspect a little overprotective.

Laughing I've seen many a loving mother who spends a lot of time around her children become quite inured to tumbles, spills and tears, meaning the child really has to do some convincing if they're unwell or hurt themselves.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
miranda wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Mothers are I suspect a little overprotective.

Laughing I've seen many a loving mother who spends a lot of time around her children become quite inured to tumbles, spills and tears, meaning the child really has to do some convincing if they're unwell or hurt themselves.

Yes Laughing A nurse friend of mine's child went around with a broken arm for several days before she was finally taken to A&E for an xray, my friend felt really bad.

kitenski I will try to do a TR but in the meantime I will PM you the basics.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd make her ski with her mother instead. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, Glad she is all ok.

Quote:

Now for the medical claim...

I've found myself increasingly buying the local insurance in addition to my holiday cover especially when the family is with me, which is why I wouldn’t hesitate to call the local patrol.

On our last trip 10% of our hotel went down with holiday ending injuries, all had to pay "cash" for recovery & local treatment, one family had two incidents and had to scrape up 1500 Euros for the local side, one of them spent the rest of the week in hospital & didn’t have a valid EHIC card Shocked may have been costly.

For me for less than the cost of a daily coffee its one less thing to worry about.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carried her to the gondola that was about 5 yards away. (I wasn't brave enough to try the speed trap!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, yes we did that and sat her outside, whilst deciding what to do!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy