Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Martin Freeman to star in 'Eddie the Eagle - the movie'

Poster: A snowHead
Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards has revealed that the movie of his jump to stardom is underway.

Three years after Eddie sold the movie rights of his story to Sony and Paramount, Martin Freeman (Arthur Dent in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxay, and Tim in 'The Office') has apparently been cast as Eddie the Eagle. Eddie, you'll recall, became the anti-hero and peoples' champion (well, to some) of the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.

This report, in Eddie's own words, from The Guardian.

Eddie expresses some apprehensions about the making of the movie (but maybe got a nice big fat cheque!). Feelings of bitterness about his quashed ski jumping ambitions persist to this day:
Quote:
Too many people thought I was a joke: I still feel I was hugely mistreated by the people who run skiing in Britain, both before and after the Calgary games. Skiing has always been a very marginal sport in Britain, and I would have thought they could have used me to promote it all over the world - I became a celebrity, after all. They didn't use me, though. And a couple of years later the British ski teams lost all their sponsorship. The Ski Federation sent me by mistake a letter that was scathing about me. The feeling's mutual.

Any comments on this article?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 24-09-05 10:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think he had a lot of guts to do what he did, he certainly got Brits watching ski jumping and attracted some publicity to the sport, however it does seem that he was particularly badly treated by those in power, didn't they change the rules so he could no longer qualify or something after the olympics ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that the man is a bit pompous and takes himself a bit too seriously.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, I think that at the time no-one took him seriously and all we have today is resentment on both sides. His hard work and devotion to his sport deserved better support and is inspiring but then the sports bodies reacted in such a way to stick a dam great barrier in front of those who are inspired but have not the funds nor the infrastructure to break through it. Lots of organisations are scared of the eccentrics and mavericks in their midst and often will do whatever possible to remove them whether fair or justified.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
C'mon guys, noone took him seriously because he was crap!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, Yes, but there are a lot of people out in this big bad world who are crap at what they do and we take them very seriously . . . let's start with Dubya. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think he's big on eagles, too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He was on radio 4 last week, commenting on a feature about the youngest Olympian - a Kuwaiti or UAE swimmer who was 13. It was about the wildcard system and its origins. Basically he was saying they brought it in to stop people like him.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, he might have been crap, but am I right in thinking that he is still the best ski jumper that the UK has produced?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DAVID F, I believe you're right I think he holds the UK ski-jumping record.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The current British record holder is (Canadian-born) Glynn Pederson - I think it is for his 89m jump from a K90 competition in 2002 and for 113.5m jump on a K120 hill. Prior to Pederson the record holder was James Lambert with an 85m jump in 1994.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Greetings to all Snowheads

Rob@rar is correct The current British record holder is (Canadian-born) Glynn Pederson. Glynn is a Canadian he is not British and as far as I am aware , he has never even been to UK or met any of us in the Team.

I was the reacord holder before him, however it was 81m (not 85m) ..... I will soon be setting a new record as i now live and train permanently in Scandinavia and I train with the Norwegian Team.

Wishing you all great winter skiing

regards James Lambert Team GBR

http://www.britishmastersteam.co.uk/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer wrote:

I've met him a few times in the Tamworth fridge, and he was always full of fun in person. He'd join in with the Wednesday night informal lessons
and lark about quite a bit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James Lambert, welcome to snowHeads and good luck with setting a new British record
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James Lambert wrote:

Rob@rar is correct The current British record holder is (Canadian-born) Glynn Pederson. Glynn is a Canadian he is not British and as far as I am aware , he has never even been to UK or met any of us in the Team.

I was the reacord holder before him, however it was 81m (not 85m) ..... I will soon be setting a new record as i now live and train permanently in Scandinavia and I train with the Norwegian Team.

Tjena James!

Are you training in Sweden at say Falun or across the border in Norway?

Ha det bra

Hej hej!
snow report
James Lambert, great photos on the website - I just have to try that!!
snow conditions
James Lambert, If this is indeed you and not some random sock puppet, good luck to you and keep at it, we're rooting for you!!

It's true that Eddie may well have been a figure of fun and has subsequently rode of the back of his 15mins but c'mon, for a fleeting moment back then he inspired the impossible i.e. a brit. Ski-jumping. At the Olympics. At least give credit to his spirit for having a go when no-one else (at that time) did.
latest report
This movie has been in incubation for quite some time now.

On 8 August 2007 the media announced that Steve Coogan, rather than Martin Freeman, would play Eddie.

Last summer Eddie rejected a re-written screenplay for the movie - "... you could imagine Alan Partridge saying those things, but not me. There was nothing in the script that had actually happened" - but there were indications at the end of last year that the movie might finally go into production in 2009.

I don't believe that James Lambert is a sock puppet, but he may be Eddie's stuntman.

James Lambert, are you Eddie the Eagle's stuntman?

---------

The above quote is from an interesting article about Eddie in The Independent on 8 December last: click here.
ski holidays
Yes I am the real James Lambert British Ski Jumping Champion..

I just got another newspaper report today

http://www.todmordennews.co.uk/sport/Tod39s-James-to-soar-into.4886181.jp

I was training in Lillehammer Norway yesterday... psychologically a hard training session a few technical adjustments made to my inrun balance which was affecting take off timing... eventually worked out well and then managed 3 jumps over 80m mark. B rrr....Bloody cold though -12 degrees C.

Just got new Fischer skiis and new Rass boots today .... very excited to try them now

best wishes to you all snowheads.....

James Lambert and Team GBR
ski holidays
Sleipnir wrote:
James Lambert wrote:

Tjena James!

Are you training in Sweden at say Falun or across the border in Norway?

Ha det bra

Hej hej!

Tjener Sleipnir

Tack for hilsen ...

I dont train in Falun Sweden ... I travel to Oslo and train with the Norwegians, they are really good friends of mine. My trainer is Kenneth Braathen. The facilities and opportunity's in Norway are a lot better in Norway. I do hope to Jump Falun some day. I remember It was on the European Calender some years ago but we didnt go...cant remember why..

all the Best

James
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/mPdypEi9fP4&feature=related

another link

enjoy

James
ski holidays
training last week

http://youtube.com/v/tnzp3vm2kOs

James
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
This movie has been in incubation for quite some time now.

On 8 August 2007 the media announced that Steve Coogan, rather than Martin Freeman, would play Eddie.

Last summer Eddie rejected a re-written screenplay for the movie - "... you could imagine Alan Partridge saying those things, but not me. There was nothing in the script that had actually happened" - but there were indications at the end of last year that the movie might finally go into production in 2009.

I don't believe that James Lambert is a sock puppet, but he may be Eddie's stuntman.

James Lambert, are you Eddie the Eagle's stuntman?

---------

The above quote is from an interesting article about Eddie in The Independent on 8 December last: click here.

Hi David

I dont have anything to do with Eddie... honestly.. he's a one man band. He doesnt even jump any more!

best regards

James
latest report
yes .. come and try ... your very welcome Happy

chrisdavis wrote:
James Lambert, great photos on the website - I just have to try that!!
snow report
2015 UPDATE

[This thread commenced 10 years ago]

Filming of the Eddie the Eagle movie has finally commenced in Bavaria (playing Calgary), with Britain's famous ski jumper not played by Martin Freeman, or Steve Coogan, or Rupert Grint ... but by Taron Egerton.
Hugh Jackman plays Eddie's coach 'Chuck Berghorn'.

Daily Mail report: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2989705/Wolverines-don-t-need-rest-Hugh-Jackman-spotted-shooting-new-film-Eddie-Eagle-Germany-spending-weeks-promoting-Chappie-world.html
snow report
I think it's fair to say James doesn't think much of Eddie.

"He [James] thinks he can break that 100 metre mark this winter. Recent performances have helped banish memories of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, he believes.

'After years of Eddie the Eagle touring the world and making a joke out of himself and the sport, at last we have proved that the British team are athletes to be reckoned with on the international stage'."

Personally I find that type of comment pretty sad.
snow report
Dav wrote:
...Personally I find that type of comment pretty sad.

I guess you don't need me to explain the quote, which makes perfect sense to me.
What is it that makes you sad, precisely?
snow report
Where's the quote sourced from, Dav?

We have to bear in mind that Calgary was 27 years ago, this thread began 10 years ago, and James Lambert (various postings above) popped in 6 years ago.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was in the link from above, that James posted. I just thought it was a bit of an unnecessary comment.

Still, like you say, water under the bridge from 2009.
snow report
Kramer wrote:

I know Eddie a little and he is a nice, friendly, unassuming guy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy