Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camp out to save your Welsh dry slope skiing ??

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
A group of children and parents have set up camp at a mountaineering centre in Conwy to protest at plans to close a dry ski-slope.

About 20 protesters representing the North Wales Snowsports Club camped overnight at Plas Y Brenin (PYB), Capel Curig.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-17689338
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember sliding down that slope on a tray from the dining room one night when staying at PYB for a mountaineering course Laughing That was 10 year ago and the slope didn't look in great condition then.
Nice to see how much it's valued by the local club though. Wonder how far away their nearest alternative is?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wigan, Well... it might be Weston Super Mayor or Sunny Swindon Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wigan, Llandudno would be the next closest I should think
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whats is that slope? 30/35 metres? Sounds like the 20 protestors is the biggest crowd this old girl has drawn at once in a decade, just take a deep breath and let it go guys.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had my first ever slide there, in preparation for my school trip to France.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it just me but 640k a year for upkeep/rent seems a lot of dosh for a slope with such a low traffic flow when it doesn't appear to have been used on maintenance?

Anyone know who owns the land?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Had my first ever slide there, in preparation for my school trip to France.

and did you practice your skiing as well?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gatecrasher, it's in the grounds of Plas y Brenin, so I assume they do. www.pyb.co.uk charity set up by British Mountaineering Council and others.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the beeb wrote:
It is owned by Sports Council Trust Company (SCTC) and managed by Mountain Training Trust, a registered charity.

640k does sound a staggering amount. Maybe includes costs for the whole centre, not just the slope?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN wrote:
the beeb wrote:
It is owned by Sports Council Trust Company (SCTC) and managed by Mountain Training Trust, a registered charity.

640k does sound a staggering amount. Maybe includes costs for the whole centre, not just the slope?
If it includes the whole centre it would make more sense, if it doesn't..... Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That a shame. Compare it with the item on here about the family that fly from geneva to VDI by helicopter !

I skied here a few times when I lived in North Wales, although there was a much better slope at Rhiw Goch near Trawsfynydd.

the best skiing however was even nearer
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Snowdon/photos/3737
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher,
Reading the article, the 640k is clearly what is provided to the whole of Plas-y-Brenin outdoor centre.

To be honest, the slope is miniscule and I'm surprised it has lasted this long. It's not very far to Llandudno instead (even if that is astro-turf).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW wrote:
gatecrasher,
Reading the article, the 640k is clearly what is provided to the whole of Plas-y-Brenin outdoor centre.

To be honest, the slope is miniscule and I'm surprised it has lasted this long. It's not very far to Llandudno instead (even if that is astro-turf).
RobW, is it? where does it clearly say that? unless they are talking about closing the "whole" facility because they are mainly referring to the slope in the article Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good on em them I say, they don't want it to happen so they are trying to something, might not work but worth giving it a try none the less.
ski holidays
Featured on CBBC Newsround:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/18055555
snow conditions
gatecrasher, Well I read this:

Charles Johnston, Sport England property director, said the organisation had provided PYB with £1.5m of capital investment and £640,000 a year for the last five years to keep it operating.

as saying that PYB has been provided with 640k per year. I doesn't make sense at all for it to apply only to the slope as for a £1.5m of capital you could build a brand new slope: doubling the size of Norwich slope and lodge in 2005 only(!) cost £700k.
snow conditions
And £640,000 a year is over £12000 a week. Hard to believe a small dry slope alone would need that much of a subsidy.
snow report
RobW, I agree the article doesn't make sense for the money to apply just for the slope alone & most likely isn't!
ski holidays
A bit clearer here: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/04/13/child-protestors-occupy-snowdonia-dry-ski-slope-91466-30748176/
"Over the last five years Sport England has provide [sic] £1.5m in capital investment and £640,000 a year to keep Plas-y-Brenin operating as a world class mountain training centre"
- so clearly for Plas-y-Brenin as a centre, not for the ski slope.
snow report
If anyone's interested there's an online petition to support saving the slope.
snow conditions
If they need new dendix, they may be able to get a job-lot from Sheffield... assuming they're not too worried about a few scortchmarks. Twisted Evil
snow report
For the kind of numbers involved, why don't they just offer the 20 protesters an annual ski trip for 2 weeks every year for the next 32 years (at £500 a time)?

Take Mohammed to the mountains.
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
For the kind of numbers involved, why don't they just offer the 20 protesters an annual ski trip for 2 weeks every year for the next 32 years (at £500 a time)?

Take Mohammed to the mountains.
Monium, hmm! Just got a sudden urge to take up camping! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Here are a few details on MTT who manage Plas-y-Brenin. It looks like they do a lot more than just the ski slope.

Bottom of page 5 of the March 2011 accounts (ie page 7 in the pdf) gives a few details about future developments re ski slope.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 22-05-12 23:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Good luck with trying to save the slope, but I think that skiing is well down MTT's list of priorities.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy