Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

suunto core

Poster: A snowHead
looking at buying a sport watch suitable for ski touring / hill walking etc , and been recomended the sunoto core , any thoughts or other recomendations would be welcome snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have had a Suunto Vector for a few years and am not unhappy with it. I believe the "Core" is the successor to the Vector. My Vector works fine and it tells the time in big digits so I do not need my reading glasses. The altitude function works well provided it is reset every morning, but that is because the mountain weather (and hence the atmospheric pressure) changes so frequently. I cannot comment on the real altitude accuracy, perhaps I should spend a day comparing the Vector's altitude against the heights shown at top and bottom of many lifts. The battery lasts over a year although I had funny readings on a year old battery so now I replace it before the first ski holiday of a winter. Battery replacement is easy but doing it myself might compromise the waterproofing - mine seems OK after three or four replacements.

My biggest problem with the Vector is the complexity of the user interface. There are numerous functions on the Vector but with only four buttons where three of them have well defined jobs, the forth button has lots to do. Different functions need one or two or three presses, and other functions needed a long press. Because of the complexity of the user interface I only use a subset of the available functions.

One additional issue. The function to record ascent, descent, runs and time is turned on and off by a single press of the lower-right (ie '+') button. With the Vector under my jacket and wrist cuffs, the '+' is sometimes pressed as my wrist flexes. To avoid this I have taken to pressing the mode button so the '+' has a different and unimportant function.

If I were buying a device now I would investigate the GPS navigators with a downloadable map facility.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrian, Very usefull cheers , think the core has a slimmer profile to he vector , so may avoid the accidental switch on, but will also look into gps options .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I too have a vector and find the altimeter and compass functions really useful. Provided you calibrate the barometer at regular intervals, then it is accuarate to 10m which is much better than GPS. Having had a GPS batteries go flat on the hill (OK my fault for not having spares) I pefer to always use the tradditional methods of map, compass (Silva) and an altimeter. Many guide books say things such as "turn south at 2730m". GPS do not measure vertical accuracy very well and coupled with problems of geoid and datum I would not rely on the vertical measure to better than 100m. This is compounded by steep slopes (and I like steep slopes).

Adrian, 's comments about the complexity of the user interface are correct. I still haven't figured out the logging functions for example. Basically all I use mine for is time, rough assessments of direction and very importantly, altitude.

It may cost twice as much as a GPS but IMHO it is worth it if you are climbing or walking in the alps. For the UK I think I will stick with the gps. I use both

John
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For not much more money you can get a Tissot Touch. It is much easier to use and the compass function is especially good. Suunto are unecessarily complicated, as are the Garmin GPS watches, and both have had build quality issues in recent years. The best to use in my experience is the Nike Oregon range. Very well thought out and just as accurate. I would like to like Suunto more, as the marketing and concept are good, but after having owned two that have not performed as well as the Nike I am just a realist.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think johnE adds some important thoughts. What do you, carbon_copy, want the device for? GPS does not provide a good measurement of altitude, but is good for locations provided the GPS and map use the same datums etc. Devices like the Vector have a long useful battery life whereas GPS batteries run out fairly quickly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carbon_copy, I've had a Core for a couple of years now. There is a button lock, so accidental resetting is a thing of the past.

Changing the battery yourself definately compromises the waterproofing, and it doesn't like watersports. However it does dry out and start working again following extended jetski days Embarassed

As said above, remembering to recalibrate the barometer as often as possible is a must. As pressure changes, so does accuracy.

Nice watch though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Core and really like it. The only downside is that it chews through batteries relatively quickly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a vector and is great, but I do see that there is a new Suunto GPS - called AMBIT, looks interesting . . .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni,
Mosha Marc, cheers for that, not to worried about waterproofing , its for mountains only , looking at the all black version it is a nice watch Toofy Grin

roche1800, will check that out , thanks snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carbon copy If you do buy a Core, be advised that the manual is full of misleading errors. Took me a month to figure out how to record logs. I see JohnE has the same probs with the Vector interface . Ok once you know how. Let me know if you want some help!!

Oh and sometimes the compass gives daft readouts, you have to reset it- not in the manual - I can tell you that too!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes I noticed daft results on the compass for my vector, but the instructions for recalibrating it were crystal clear. I sat on the swivel chair at work and span around slowly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carbon_copy, I bought a core for it's altimeter feature and it all seems to work fine all things considered. I'm not convinced the compass is working correctly but perhaps it needs a reset. I've had it 18 months and it's gone through 1 battery. Amazon seemed cheap when I got mine.

To be honest my phone has the same functions which are arguable more accurate, although perhaps not as durable in an outdoor environment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dickyb, Thanks for the offer of help snowHead

AndAnotherThing.., Cheers, it was primarily the altimeter and compass that I wanted it for , not sure about constantly having to reset the ABC , may just see if I can set up an old 3GS I have with a bombproof /waterproof cover and battery boost , and just use the mountaineering apps only
wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carbon_copy, Yep, you need to reset the altimeter whenever you can. I recall setting it at the bottom of a high cable car and it was 200m out by the time we got to the top yet in other circumstances it seems to hold quite well.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Yes I noticed daft results on the compass for my vector, but the instructions for recalibrating it were crystal clear. I sat on the swivel chair at work and span around slowly.

Ah thats the easy bit. Eventually your compass may do really weird things, like never give a bearing greater than 90 degrees!! Then it need a full reset. Press and hold all four outer buttons at once. Suunto will flash on screen. Press the four buttons again and it should reset the compass. Then you do your 360 degree swivel.

andanotherthing; you should 'reference' the altimeter every morning. Once its set I find it very accurate for the day. Cant figure out how yours went 200m off in a single cable car ride

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-05-12 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
dickyb wrote:
Cant figure out how yours went 200m off in a single cable car ride

It was a 200m higher at the top wink
latest report
dickyb, yep, but it depends on the weather as to how it holds up during the day.

Thanks for the tip on resetting the compass. Mine has gone dolally.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
dickyb, yep, but it depends on the weather as to how it holds up during the day.

Thanks for the tip on resetting the compass. Mine has gone dolally.

I made a small error - after 'Suunto' comes up on screen you have to pass all 4 buttons again. I have corrected the post.

If your altitude readings go weird then maybe you have a defective watch. Take it back to the shop. Suunto often give a straight replacement - even if its out of guarantee. They are very good on that.

Out of interest, is your watch one with the rotating aluminium bezel surround, or just all black?
ski holidays
dickyb, It seems to have worked. No problem with the altimeter, I genuinely think it was just local conditions at the time. It's reasonably accurate when working in the UK to known OS points.

Mine is the one with the rotating bezel.
snow report
Just found a review of the Suunto Core: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=461-Review-Suunto-Core
And some not very exciting follow up comments: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90038
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy