Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloucester Slope for sale (again)

Poster: A snowHead
Delay, very swift reply, thank you. (I have to say that I am somewhat envious of your week in the snow... snowHead )

Thanks for clarifying that, I was having images of a 'resort' of some description springing up in Matson, which was something I couldn't quite compute. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowSport Fan, first of all good luck with your project Smile and then i will throw in a few quick things to think about wink

Using volunteers can save a huge amount on operating costs, well watered dendix and/or snowflex is good enough for most users, you make most of your money from lessons/parties/functions/groups and not individuals paying for recreational slope use, resurfacing costs a fortune, utilities cost a fortune, insurance=ouch, advertising is expensive and needs careful thought, don't try to compete with the indoor facilities as they are in a different financial league but you have the advantage of being cheaper and being outdoors, diversify, you need income over the low season............etc etc etc

we are doing okay, made it through the first season, lots of development work planned for May/June, the wheels have not come off yet ! Lots of loyal users and volunteers, very surprised by the large number of new users, we are busy delivering our first weekend CI course, the clubs are coming back as are the school groups.

On the subject of the button lifts, the main limiting factor on the number of attached discs tends to be the load inflicted on the cables and machinery. A fully loaded uplift with users sliding on a dry plastic track can quickly cause mechanical failures. Its also a headache for the lift operator who has to watch three separate lifts, so we space the discs.

One question for you and i'm not having a peck at you, what do you mean by 'world class' facility?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Sunnbuel. If we get the news we want, would be good to have a chat about your experiences. Your advice sounds very sensible.

"World class" is really a rallying call for the team at the Centre. The belief is that Gloucester is already one of the top slopes in the UK, so this is the next level up! Oops, looks like we've got into the marketing thing already!

We've got quite a few public schools in the area which use the Centre for regular lessons and race training, but we have had very limited success with the State school sector. Any suggestions?

Back the bid at Facebook.com/skiglos.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnowSport Fan, with regards to state sector schools we should have a chat sometime, my colleagues in Aviemore (The Ski School) have had some success locally with their schools programme and although some things are inevitably different there I'm sure there may be aspects of their experience that might be applicable or helpful at Glos. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still awaiting news of whether our Gloucester bid is going to be accepted!

If it is, one of our priorities is moving from a paper-based administration/ booking in system to a computerised system with users having smart cards, being able to book online, instructors posting their availability automatically on line, etc. are there any UK centre (dry or snow) with something like this already?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SnowSport Fan, have you tried to get any of the local "celebs" to help promote the slope? The Bell boys were often there in the days of Alan Hole and Jim Durie. Michael "Eddie" Edwards learnt to ski there and was a member of the ski club for many years.

I remember him training aged about 13/14 by running up the slope with all his kit and skiing back down. He would spend all evening doing that even after we had switched off the lights and lifts and retired to the bar. I know he is considered a figure of fun by many, but he was an extremely good skier and switched to the ski jumping because it was the only way he could afford to get to the Olympics, which was his dream from the very first.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowSport Fan, If you're moving away from paper, and your instructors are your revenue stream, then an efficient booking system is a good idea. There are plenty of open-source booking systems free to download online which you can retro-fit to the application - a meeting room booking system would be adequate, for example.

Wouldn't worry about smartcards, it's overkill for your application - just work with cheaper tech like printed labels for people.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowSport Fan wrote:
Still awaiting news of whether our Gloucester bid is going to be accepted!

If it is, one of our priorities is moving from a paper-based administration/ booking in system to a computerised system with users having smart cards, being able to book online, instructors posting their availability automatically on line, etc. are there any UK centre (dry or snow) with something like this already?

Yes we use a system exactly like this at the Snow Centre in Hemel... make a few calls and you never know they may allow you to have a version of the software which was designed for them especially (I think).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
SnowSport Fan

I remember him training aged about 13/14 by running up the slope with all his kit and skiing back down. He would spend all evening doing that even after we had switched off the lights and lifts and retired to the bar. I know he is considered a figure of fun by many, but he was an extremely good skier and switched to the ski jumping because it was the only way he could afford to get to the Olympics, which was his dream from the very first.

He was an excellent skier and a true inspiration... he did used to go up and down that slope all day long didn't he.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone. Eddie was at the slope just a month or so ago in what seemed to be a mini documentary being produced by one of the local colleges.

Will definately contact Hemel to talk about IT systems if we get the go-ahead. The CEO of owners Jupiter Hotels has said he will call me on Monday morning. The BBC's Points West news programme are also interested in the story, so fingers crossed we may be on the telly next week!

Anyone know of slopes that have sponsorship deals with the likes of Solomon, etc? It's an avenue we need to consider to help raise cash towards the improvements we would like to make, if we get ownership. Any other thoughts on possible funding options are also welcome.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnowSport Fan wrote:
....sponsorship deals with the likes of Solomon, etc?...

Its SAlomon.... don't want you to approach a company that tell you to sling ur hook as you called them the wrong thing!
ski holidays
 cran
cran
skisimon wrote:
Oh dear, a slope surface debate. Personally I will not ski on anything other than dendix

You should try going on a ski holiday with mountains and real snow Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In a telephone conversation with our bid coordinator, Richard White, Jupiter today rejected the staff offer to buy Gloucester Ski & Snowboard Centre, saying it falls below the amount they are prepared to accept.

Full details at www.facebook.com/skiglos
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowSport Fan, Would you really expect them to take the opening offer?

And it's not really normal commercial practice to be discussing financial transactions on open internet forums...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ Rob W

Please - I'd appreciate it if you could remove your comment about Proslope being at Norfolk. It isn't. It's a product made by Innovaski? It is very different to Proslope...

Proslope is at Christchurch and soon to be 'rolled out' at a number of centres this summer. Everyone who has skied and boarded on it, has positive comments about it.

The owners of Snowtrax at Christchurch has said his takings have more than doubled over the last year since laying it!!! How many business can say that in an era of austerity and recession?

I believe 'Dry Slopes' are the future of snowsports in the UK. Everything written above about the lack of re-investment is pretty much spot on. The situation has been complicated by a lack of choice and cost of replacement surfaces that have limited lifespan and don't provide a return on investment.

Fridges cost £25-35k per week just to open the doors and energy prices are expected to rise by 50% over the next five years. Retail rents are going south with many centres sitting on 30% empty shops? The whole business model looks unsustainable. As for WSM, well it's no secret that they're struggling to find tenants to take up the retail space. Without the tenants the funders won't advance the capital to build it. The business case no longer stacks up.

At the end of the day would you prefer to be in a fridge with stale air and a short run, or outdoors on a decent sized run with an excellent synthetic surface???

info@proslope.com Very Happy
ski holidays
Beau Jeste, No, but I'll edit my post to say that you say it's not proslope - because I don't know why you state it isn't yet others say it is.

Can you be a little more forthcoming about where it is being trialled so those who are interested can take a look? Do you also confirm or deny that the 1/4 pipe at Sunderland is proslope?
latest report
RobW wrote:
Beau Jeste, No, but I'll edit my post to say that you say it's not proslope - because I don't know why you state it isn't yet others say it is.

Sorry, but it doesn't seem to let me edit that old a post.
snow report
RobW, Nobody can edited their posts in the Snow Events section I believe. Maybe get in touch with a moderator or Admin to see what could be done.
latest report
As I own Proslope, I would know if it was at Norfolk... I've not had any contact with them to date.

Their mats are very different. They don't have variable height filaments (VHF™) it's a different size (600x900 v 1000x1000), a different fixing system and they don't have the flexing flutes on the back. Also Proslope has been designed to allow for slalom gates.

Yes Silksworth has Proslope on it's q-pipe.

For more info on Christchurch: http://www.snowtrax.eu/blog/ski-matting/#comment-593

The whole of the main slope is now done and includes a table top hip and removable rails and kickers.

For pics of the comp at the weekend check out: http://www.facebook.com/mtbphotography

We also have a private site in Cornwall for testing, that is being developed into a fully operational centre. Outline PP has been obtained and we're working on full designs and and detailed planning now.

Other projects are outlined for this summer/autumn, but as we're under an NDA I'm not at liberty to say where. Confused
snow conditions
http://www.norfolksnowsports.com/node/1278 Puzzled
snow conditions
It's Innovaski product - I've seen it and didn't like it... Happy
snow conditions
Beau Jeste, fair enough - got to say yours seems to be getting great reviews

My Cornish pals sent me a link http://www.vebra.com/stagsnew/property/22117671 know anything about it ? Toofy Grin
snow report
this seems to have gone quiet......
latest report
SnowSport Fan wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions for how we can publicise our bid. Looks like the snow v plastic argument has somewhat detracted from my original question. On this point, has anyone been to Christchurch in Dorset? Its the only slope in the UK with a totally different covering.

If there are any more thoughts of how we can publicise our bid to Snowheads readers, let me know. For example, are there other threads that we should be posting on?

Keep the support coming at www.Facebook.com/skiglos.

Thanks very much.

I have skiied there (only once and it is my local one, I will go again) and at Glocester a number of years back (quite a number of times as we lived in Malvern for 5years). What specifically would you like to ask?
snow report
Local reports "Fears Gloucester Ski and Snowboard Centre could close": http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/story-16096273-detail/story.html
snow report
you may well find that this is INSTEAD of wsm snowdome as theres a rumour that Leisuredome (uk) ltd has gone bust!! Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Posted today on the buyout bid page:

"Despite our best efforts, unfortunately we were unable to produce an offer for the Centre that was sufficiently attractive to its owners. We now wish them success with the marketing of the Centre.

If any interested parties would like to talk with us or even discuss a possible joint venture, we would be happy to do so.

Thank you for your support over the past few weeks."

The centre is now up for sale on the open market.
snow conditions
Heard last night that the sale of Gloucester has now been agreed. Waiting for all the legals to go through and the new owners expect to take over on 1st August. They are going to reinstate the top half of the race/training slope and supposedly the dendix for this has already been ordered and they start work in August with completion by November.

Excellent news if this all happens. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW, Any word on who the new owners are?
latest report
Same people as who want to build the WSM 'dome. They are convinced that the market is sufficiently different and the two far enough apart to enable both to thrive.
latest report
Was at Gloucester again over the weekend (GBR races) and spoke with the (probable) new owner. He is very certain that it is all going ahead and has lots of plans to make Gloucester the best outdoor artificial slope in the country (yes, even better than Norwich): his comment was that the two completely separate main slopes make for opportunities which just don't exist anywhere else.

One idea specifically mentioned was that on race days (and he was suggesting that this would be most (summer) weekends), they'd have a big air bag at the bottom of the other slope as an added attraction. Given the success of Stoke's new freestyle setup, he may well be right.
ski holidays
RobW,

Did the new owner mention whether the WSM dome was going ahead?
snow report
zellmaniac, Not to me, but I did hear a comment from someone close that "most" of the funding is in place, just a few 10s of million short. Toofy Grin
snow report
zellmaniac, Not to me, but I did hear a comment from someone close that "most" of the funding is in place, just a few 10s of million short. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A press release on the takeover of Gloucester has today gone up on the snowsport england site:

"Exciting plans are afoot for Gloucester Ski & Snowboard Centre. At the end of July 2012 the centre will be taken over by C.E.O of OpalTec, Mark Hamilton-Davies, who has big plans for the place."

Full details at http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/news/2012/07/gloucester-ski-snowboard-centre-press-release
latest report
SnowSport Fan, hi - can I ask how your business model will work? How many visitors are you expecting to attract each year, and approx what is the level of repeasts of this figure? (so if you are attracting 100,000 visits, will this made up of a hardcore of say 5,000 members coming most weeks with say, 10,000 one off visitors)? Just trying to get an idea of the viability of having a ski slope.
snow report
Just to update everyone, the sale at Glos has now gone through and as it went through the diggers literally moved in and started ground work for the extension (as well as work starting on a number of other parts of the centre). There's a massive amount of work and investment planned for the slope which will, I am sure, completely transform it into one of, if not the, top slopes in the UK.

All looking very, very good!

BTW, the slope is still open as all this happens and there's a big opening day on the 11th of August, click the poster thumbnail below for more details:

snow report
Bump.

Just to mention I went to the slope earlier this week, and thought it was pretty good. My first time there, and I was the only person using it for the hour I attended (roughly 5-6pm). Although I'm not a big fan of the dendix surface (very unforgiving if you fall, which I didn't I'm pleased to say), the fact there are 3 separate slopes to try as well as a fun park at the top of the main slope, makes it more interesting. really good value as well btw, only cost me £8 for an hour Smile
snow report
Nice one scubadancer, glad you enjoyed it - way cheaper than a dome eh!

It should be even better very soon because the main slope is due to be extended and there's a new (silicone) misting system being installed Very Happy
ski holidays
BTW, the diggers I mentioned 3 posts above were actually for other work (everything was happening so quickly I made a mistake there), the groundwork for the extension is due to start this month.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy