Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with New Skis / Boots (suitable for 70% piste 30% off-piste)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please excuse any numpty questions below - I don't tend to know much about ski equipment. I just trust what other people who do know tell me.

My old carving skis finally died and I am getting more into off-piste having dabbled it with it for years and my wife is letting me off the leash more. I am therefore thinking of new skis and need some recommendations. I also like the new(?) Dynafit TLT bindings that the guides I ski off-piste with seem to all have. Presumably that means new boots. Additionally my existing boots are Nordica 130 which I have been told are too stiff for off-piste, especially where there might be a fair degree of skinning concerned (1 hr+). Also I have had lots of issues with my feet over the years and had Profeet fit my boots (very successfully I hasten to add) so would probably require the same for any touring boots (were I to acquire).

Any recommendations for skis and / or boots. Are the Dynafit TLT bindings good enough for piste use (I'm quite an agressive skier on piste) ?

Thanks in advance to all you off-piste equipment experts out, there whereever you are.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have you tried skinning in your existing boots? they are pretty stiff but this is more of a problem for some people than others.
i am not sure i would go for Dynafits for 70% piste use. you probably won't break them but it isn't really what they are designed for. you could consider getting inserts or fitting a plate which will allow you to swap between Dynafits and an alpine or more beefy touring binding. I have holes for Dynafits and Marker Dukes on a couple of pairs of skis and this works very well
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with Arno.

The Dynatif bindings are designed to be lightweight above all, so aren't as suited to piste skiing as much as the likes of the Marker Duke/Baron/Tour or Diamir Eagle or Freeride. Don't confuse off-piste with full-on ski touring. There is a point at which there's an overlap, but that's more likely to be when you're skiing 90% off piste 10% on and really want to climb for your turns.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice. When you say inserts, can you give me some examples (i.e. would the quiver killer inserts fall into that category ?)

I have to say I was quite surprised when I was told about the boots being too stiff as I've managed to bootpack up a slope for over 30 minutes without much trouble.

Also what sort of ski specifications should I look to if I'm going to try and get a good all rounder ?

Sorry to pester with additional questions
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
inserts = quiver killers or equivalent

i'm probably not the person to recommend skis because my interests are off piste/touring as close to 100% of the time as I can so I don't really follow the 70:30 market. If I were you, I'd be looking at something 85-100mm underfoot maybe with a little tip rocker. Sidecut etc really depend on your own preferences
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For skis, Movement Jams. There were some great end of season deals kicking around on these too - if any still left.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy