Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Places to Ski and when?!

Poster: A snowHead
I skied in October this season.
This is what I did and mighty fine it was too!
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/preseason.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmmm decisions decisions. I think if I'm pressed for time In regards to when I can take my holiday I might try to go very early on a pre season trip. If my boss is ok with me taking 3 weeks holiday so close together I'll go in early December then late jan/ feb. Hopefully then I'll be able to cut down on costs, get good snow and avoid the majority of school holidays.

Really want to get 3 weeks worth of skiing done next season. I think it will help me improve a lot to have so much skiing in a short space of time. Do you guys think that I should go to the same resort twice in a row? I obviously want to try my hand at off piste so it might be beneficial to go so the same place twice Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my younger skiing days I seemed to have an innate desire to ski lots of different ski areas. It took me a while to realise that this was probably unnecessary and perhaps not desirable. In my defence there was no Snowheads back then and I didn't know that many skiers. As you rightly have figured out quite early on knowing the area well is highly beneficial, especially if venturing off piste in any kind of manner.

I did a couple of two weekers early on (15 days consequentive skiing). It was always weird how it got to a point where being on ski's felt almost as natural as walking. It was a bit of a slog though. Especially if you get a couple of bad weather days halfway through Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yer i think it would be best to just go to Val thorens twice. It looks like a pretty nice resort. I just want to make sure it has some really nice Apres Ski ( not for me, but for my dad and a family friend!) haha. Their first time skiing if we do go in jan/feb and so if they are rubbish they are just gona enjoy the food and drink. Its gona take some seriosuly bad weather to stop me XD haha. well providing the slopes are open. Ill just stick to the pistes and it should be a laugh. Found a Dec trip for 7 nights to VT for 500 ( all inclusive) bar rental gear. Not bad methinks?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
xander89, all inclusive - flights, transfer, accommodation, lift pass, food, drink?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica wrote:
I skied in October this season.
This is what I did and mighty fine it was too!
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/preseason.html

Green jackets are so last year wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the mountains. Best in winter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
xander89, just for you http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88628
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
xander89, all inclusive - flights, transfer, accommodation, lift pass, food, drink?

sorry 600 XD, but not food/rental gear. So flights pass transfer and accommodation. cool good to see that something will be happening soon, shall try and pop along Smile cheers holidayloverxx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are avoiding the high season weeks the best place to go is wherever has the best snow. You can get seriously poor snow just about anywhere even mid season though it is less likely. The worst snow I have ever had on a ski holiday was in Tignes in January but you will read elsewhere that it is reliable. It is not, nowhere is, it is more reliable than most but at any given time you may well have far better snow elsewhere. If you are part of a big party this may be impractical and in very high season it may be difficult to get accommodation where you want it. For a small number of people going outwith high season who want the best skiing as opposed to wanting to go to a particular resort waiting and seeing where has the best snow is probably the best option.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar wrote:
If you are avoiding the high season weeks the best place to go is wherever has the best snow. You can get seriously poor snow just about anywhere even mid season though it is less likely. The worst snow I have ever had on a ski holiday was in Tignes in January but you will read elsewhere that it is reliable. It is not, nowhere is, it is more reliable than most but at any given time you may well have far better snow elsewhere. If you are part of a big party this may be impractical and in very high season it may be difficult to get accommodation where you want it. For a small number of people going outwith high season who want the best skiing as opposed to wanting to go to a particular resort waiting and seeing where has the best snow is probably the best option.

i would do that but wont prices just hop up closer to the time? At the moment i can probs get flights accommodation, trasfere and ski passes to tignes for pretty dam cheap. If i wait closer to the time, ie to book it till a few weeks before dependent on snow/area wont the prices be a lot higher?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
xander89,
If you are going low season last minute deals with tour operators usually come down markedly closer to the time. Flights tend to get more expensive though if it is not high season they are not usually ridiuclously so. Accommodation, transfer and lift pass do not usually vary very much in my experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xander89 wrote:

Hey clarky999,I can tell your a nuts free rider

Lol, really not (maybe in my head when listening to Rage Against the Machine), 'FreeRider' is just something that's (bizarrely) stuck beneath your username after you've posted enough on here.

If you're able to I think it'd be worth your while to make one of your trips longer, say a fortnight - even if that means you have to only go twice instead of three times. You'll waste less time getting back into the swing of things, and more time to consolidate what you learn/get to know routes/wait for conditions. Probably do one week either Jan or feb, and then the longer trip in March (usually the best conditions). Depending on where you're based you could consider going to a snowdome (for lessons?) once a week too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar, Ok well ill have to ask my mates what they feel like doing. I mean i want to get a trip in before the year end as i will have holiday to use up, so im quite keen to go in december, although that could end in disaster if it doesnt snow until late december! I'm not so bothered about slight increases in price but its more my mates who are stil at uni etc. What do people suggest? Booking early ( in the next month or two) for my trip in mid december, or wait and try booking it a week or two before, when i know where the good snow is?

I'm a bit worried now that i will book a trip for mid december and it will not snow! clarky999, the issue for me is that taking 3/4 weeks in jan/feb and march will mean that i end up using all my holiday in the first few months of the year. So i want to try and spread it over 2012/13. March is gona be Hella expensive too. I dont think i'd be able to afford to go in march if im going earlier on in the season as well. So my real options are mid / early dec and jan/feb. How do people think i should proceed?

Also i dont think i'll really need normal lessons at this point. Well at least i dont think i'll be able to learn much from someone skiing in a snow dome. Also i have plenty of mates who are very experienced skiiers ( some are even instructors). I'll hopefully persuade a few mates to make regular trips to a snow dome on weekends so i can really get back into it after a three year break XD

so advice people! what should i do in terms of bookings!

cheers!
ski holidays
xander89,
Quote:

i dont think i'll be able to learn much from someone skiing in a snow dome.
I think you're wrong there. Extremely experienced skiers benefit from lessons in snow domes, where even would-be instructors and racers train.
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
xander89,
Quote:

i dont think i'll be able to learn much from someone skiing in a snow dome.
I think you're wrong there. Extremely experienced skiers benefit from lessons in snow domes, where even would-be instructors and racers train.

I would be more inclined to go/have lessons when its less busy. The only issue is that I don’t have any time during the week and it seems every time I’ve been to a snowdome on the weekend its incredibly packed. Not to mention its incredibly expensive( for lessons). As i said i have friend who are instructors, and it would be a lot better for me to do a 121 with one of them than pay through the teeth for a lesson. I know i still have a lot to learn just it isnt an ideal environment when its so busy.
snow report
xander89, you do not need to book in advance if you are going at the quiet times of the season. You can get some good deals booking early. But in your situation you are better off keeping your money in your pocket until much nearer the time.

And if I was you I would go one week in mid-Dec and two weeks in Jan. Mid/late March does not have to be expensive though so I wouldn't rule it out on that score.

A crucial way of maxing out your skiing is using transport that goes you in the mountains for Saturday morning and allows you to leave Saturday evening. Invariably that means overnight driving or train. Although occasionally flying can accommodate in part at least.

For me Snowdome's are simply no value for money. I live in MK. I would rather save the money and do another week in the mountains. But I appreciate not everyone sees at that way. Maybe do it once yourself and see.
latest report
Layne wrote:
xander89, you do not need to book in advance if you are going at the quiet times of the season. You can get some good deals booking early. But in your situation you are better off keeping your money in your pocket until much nearer the time.

And if I was you I would go one week in mid-Dec and two weeks in Jan. Mid/late March does not have to be expensive though so I wouldn't rule it out on that score.

A crucial way of maxing out your skiing is using transport that goes you in the mountains for Saturday morning and allows you to leave Saturday evening. Invariably that means overnight driving or train. Although occasionally flying can accommodate in part at least.

For me Snowdome's are simply no value for money. I live in MK. I would rather save the money and do another week in the mountains. But I appreciate not everyone sees at that way. Maybe do it once yourself and see.

yer fair play. I think i might wait till closer to the time. See if i can persuade some mates to do the same. Yer the plan was, as you said mid dec, and jan / feb. I'll think about march but wont the snow be better late jan early feb?

Although i agree with you on the snowdome front, It is pretty cheap 7pm-11pm ( i could probs get there for around 7:30 after work, it takes about an hour on the train) it only £23 for a 2 hour pass or £33 for 4 hours. I am correct in thinking that the MK snowdome is the longest one in the Uk closest to London? I think going at that time is probs the best idea, it will be quiet and pretty cheap and will at least help me get into it if i do it every other week or something. What do you think?
ski holidays
Quote:
I'll think about march but wont the snow be better late jan early feb?

Usually. But it's more likely you will have white out conditions. There is no "correct answer" with these things.

Quote:

Although i agree with you on the snowdome front, It is pretty cheap 7pm-11pm ( i could probs get there for around 7:30 after work, it takes about an hour on the train) it only £23 for a 2 hour pass or £33 for 4 hours. I am correct in thinking that the MK snowdome is the longest one in the Uk closest to London?

I don't know if Hemel is longer but it's generally regarded as being better. Don't be tempted by the £33 for 4 hours. You will be bored stiff. 10 trips to the snowdome and you can buy a weeks lift pass at a top european resort. Go every other week and you could afford a whole ski trip. Not sure why you think the snowdome will be quiet in the evening. The thing is there is only so much you can work on technique wise in a snowdome. It's very stop/start.. and it quite quickly becomes dull IMO. But don't take my word for it. Try it out. Some people love em.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Quote:
I'll think about march but wont the snow be better late jan early feb?

Usually. But it's more likely you will have white out conditions. There is no "correct answer" with these things.

Quote:

Although i agree with you on the snowdome front, It is pretty cheap 7pm-11pm ( i could probs get there for around 7:30 after work, it takes about an hour on the train) it only £23 for a 2 hour pass or £33 for 4 hours. I am correct in thinking that the MK snowdome is the longest one in the Uk closest to London?

I don't know if Hemel is longer but it's generally regarded as being better. Don't be tempted by the £33 for 4 hours. You will be bored stiff. 10 trips to the snowdome and you can buy a weeks lift pass at a top european resort. Go every other week and you could afford a whole ski trip. Not sure why you think the snowdome will be quiet in the evening. The thing is there is only so much you can work on technique wise in a snowdome. It's very stop/start.. and it quite quickly becomes dull IMO. But don't take my word for it. Try it out. Some people love em.

Ive already been there a few times, and although it isnt amazing, it will at least keep me on my toes Wink. Better than no practice at all. And money isnt too much of an issue tbh. £25 every few weeks, aint too much ( as in it wont impact on me taking a ski holiday as ill be more contrained by time than money considering how much holiday i get.) I also want to use it to try out different types of ski's before i go away so i have more of an idea of what i should rent. I know which ones i prefer so far but it doesnt harm to try out a few different types. Also i want to get my boots in the coming months, so it will give me a good chance to give them a good wearing in.

I assume 7-11pm on weekdays wont be as crowded as say sat or sun. It might be rather busy 5-7/8 but after that people will be going home to eat, etc. Also they do have some freestlye days on thursday/ friday which although wont be brilliant would at least give me a chance to try my hand on some small jumps/ rails.

At least its better than a dry slope. NehNeh, cant stand those things.
snow report
Well, I've already spammed Inside Out Skiing once on here, better not do it again...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy