Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Places to Ski and when?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys and Gals

I'm new to the forum so be gentle with me! Smile. I'm what you could call an imtermediate skier ( ie, ive only been 3 times) who can quite comfrotably tackle the majority of black runs without much of a problem. Generally due to my sheer lack of concern when it comes to my personal wellbeing ( i.e i throw myself headlong into things, probably to my demise at some point NehNeh) This thread will be a multitude of things to cover so sorry if it crosses over.

So I'm going to make skiing a regular occurance now i have a "real" job and steady income. Firstly I'm going to buy some ski's, Bindings and Boots, ( and pole and a helmet ofc) Hopefully for the first 3 ill get it for around £500 in the sales/ last season stuff during the summer. I was looking at picking up some Atomic Theory Skis ( they are being sold at like 50% discount on one site for around £200, but this may have to change as they will probs be out of stock in a few months when im planning to buy!). I wanted some twin tips which will give me the ability to offpiste easily but not have too much trouble on piste, so any other recomendations on similar skis would be brill! The main bit ill need advice on is good intermediate Bindings and good boot makes ( i am planning on going for a boot fitting, but want to know what the decent makes are.) If anyone could give me some advice on that that would be fantastic!

Ok so for the main bit! I want to know peoples favorite places to ski in europe and what are the best times to go. I know things change from season to season. Idealy a place with extensive blacks and reds and decent off piste which wont get me killed! ( but also with decent green and blues as ill probs be going with friends and fam who havent skiied before.) so an all round good resort. I ofc want to avoid the school holidays. Also i want to avoid the easter period as i feel its getting a little unpredictable with the weather getting warmer earlier! I was thinking end of jan, after the school holidays. In terms of crowding and snowfall ( the more the better!) is the end of jan a good/ bad time? So hit me with all your wisdom!

Cheers in Advance!

Xander
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
xander89, welcome to snowHead 's

Equipment wise - sort your boots out first. Don't worry about the makes, worry about the fit and get a custom footbed made. In short, go to a good boot fitter. If you search on here or ask (stating your location) you will get recs. For ski's next time you go skiing, try several different ones from the hire shop. Buy the one's that you like best. The shop will often not charge you the hire costs. Bindings are much of muchness as far as I know - just go with the deal the shop as. Or pay the hire and get the best deal you can on the internet and/or wait for the sales.

Ski area wise: I'm afraid you will find as many different opinions as there are people here - some love the skiing convenience and breadth of skiing the major French resorts offer, some like the more relaxed atmosphere, value for money of the smaller French and Austrain resorts. Some love Switzerland. And then there is Italy, North America, Japan, Norway...

Time to go: If you don't have kids early Jan to early Fed or early to mid-March. Early Jan is bargain time but the weather can be tough. But as you say conditions are simply very unpredictable in the Alps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
xander89, welcome to snowHeads! You'll find tables of European school holidays on here from time to time, and from those you can usually find two weeks in March when there are almost no anklebiters on their school hols - that's the time to ski in Europe, if you don't have children, not too cold and not too crowded, but plenty of places which should have good snow.
And I agree with Layne, start with some well-fitted boots and then test lots of skis to see what you like.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey guys thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yep i was planning on going to a boot fitting at wax and edge in west sussex ( UK) Aparently they are pretty good. I mean ive used twin tips before from a hire shop, ( similar to the ones i talked about) and i found them by far my favorite out of the 3 pairs i tried last time i went skiing. Allowed easy on and off piste. I just felt more comfortable with the versatility. So i know this is the type of ski i want, just not sure the exact one/make.

In terms of area i was thinking France, Italy, Switzerland or Austria. North American, Japan, Norway etc will be too expensive travel and cost wise. How comes Jan can be tough? Do you mean temp wise or snow wise? I know this might sounds weird but i really dont mind cold temps, i found the most exciting day when i went skiing last time was when it was snowing heavily and the temps got down to about minus 15-20. NehNeh. And its always nice to come inside after a hard days skiing in sub zero temps Very Happy. I assumed that snow wouldnt be too much of an issue around winter time, obvisouly providing its a good season. I don't have kids ( im only 22) and there wont be kids coming along. So the fewer kids the better to be honest! Neh Neh

So yer any recomendations on the some of the best bank for your buck skiing in the previously mentioned European countries, the more slopes the better. I know people will have varying opinions. But im just looking for exactly that. It will allow me to just start looking and seeing which ones tickle my fancy and it will just give me a good basis on which to start my search. I went to Valloire a couple of years back which i really enjoyed. We did have really good snow, but it was also pretty good resort.

Cheers

Xander
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Layne says, boots are much more important to own than skis - a poorly fitting pair of boots can ruin a holiday. The more usual mistake is to get them too loose because they seem more comfortable in the shop - you don't want to be able to move your foot in them - they need to hold you mfirmly. Remember too you can usually get a pinch point in a boot blown out later but too loose a fit will just get worse with time as the lining packs down.

Unless you are talking off piste skis in some Italian resorts, you can normally rent good skis - especially if you investigate before you go. Now that most airlines charge for ski carriage it may even be cheaper to rent unless you buy in the sales. However, that said, I much prefer having my own, having investigated what suits my ski needs first before buying. Many of the best hire places will let you try out several pairs.
I don't know why you associate twin tips with off piste - they are stunt skis. On the other hand they are perfectly OK off piste so long as they are not too narrow - you are best with medium fat skis if you want to ski all the mountain rather than just pistes - but don't expect them to be quite as good on icy slopes.

My favorite resorts won't be relevant to you since I want tough off-piste. (St Anton is probably my favorite). The exchange rate rules out Switzerland for me at present - otherwise I would mention Verbier - and certainly you should stay clear of school holidays if you can (including French school holidays - mostly in the last 3 weeks of February).
French resorts were mostly custom built while Austrian and Swiss ones were based in expanded traditional villages.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 11-04-12 11:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I own my own ski's. But I drive to the Alps and I now service them myself. If I was flying and paying for servicing I would find it hard to justify owning. However, assuming you do buy, I don't understand why you just wouldn't buy the ski's you felt comfortable with. Not all twin tips are going to feel the same. If you buy another set of twin tips, you would still want to test them to be sure. Unless you take a punt based on it being a cheap deal, and therefore you recoup the money on a resale.

January can be tough because of the short days and harsh weather. But if colder the better for you then it will be ideal.

For me if you more slopes the better than it must be France. The lift passes aren't cheap but in January you would be skiing from first lift to last all week with no queues. If I knew at 22 what I knew now here would be next 4 trips.

Les Coches to ski Paradiski
Oz-en-Oisans to ski Alphe D'Huez
Le Praz to ski 3V
Les Brevierres to Tigne/Val D

Part of the reason I like all the above is that there are nice small towns with good skiing directly above them, that link well into the larger ski area.

If you want a bigger town more buzz. Alternatives would be:

Plagne Bellecottte or Arc 1800
Alpe D'Huez itself
Meribel
Val D itself
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne is a bit short on tough pistes which the OP wanted.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne,

Val Thorens, especially when your 22.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, fair comment. Though that's why I put it first. Thinking about a gradual wind up Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You might even consider Argentiere soon - (part of Chamonix - you can use the free bus to go to other parts or stay in Chamonix itself). A good place for tough pistes though most famous for off piste. However most of the off-piste soon becomes like an ungroomed piste because so many good skiers ski it.
The famous Vallee Blanche at Chamonix is a spectacular but easy place to get into far off-piste, once you get past the very beginner stage of off-piste - but you do need to go with a guide.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 11-04-12 12:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well twin tips is just what i associated with all mountain skis, which were the ones i preferred when i last went. I know the back tip is to allow you to land / take off from jumps backwards and I really want to be able to go into the realm of stunts/ freestyle, or wteva you might call it as i grow more confident. Its just my preference so far out of the skis ive tried.

I just personally want my own ski's rather than having to worry about rental ones. And i figured out in some of the more expensive resorts it will pay for itself within a few trips. I am planning on getting it during the Sales/getting used to them by going to the snow dome etc before i go away. Just so i get a good feel for them. And ofc boots are pretty much at the top of my list. I might get my boots, go to the snow dome, try a few diff ski's out then buy.

Yer my mate recently went to Verbier. He said it was truely amazing skiing there. It just depends on how much i can save up!!! XD. Being close to the slopes is pretty essential for me. Id preffer not to have to travel too much from where im staying.

I would like to say im experienced enough to do tough offpiste, but I'm not . I want a place where i can confidently do offpiste with friends and progress to more challenging stuff come the end of the holiday! Well it seems to be that end of jan through to the start of Feb tends to be best to beat the School holidays. Just wana make sure its a good time for snow.

Ofc i dont want to freeze to death, but what i meant was that the cold isnt something i mind. I'd prefere to go when its cold and there is good snow than when its warm and crappy slushy snow. XD. Take into account I'm not hugely experienced. I'm a pretty quick learner, but then again im not stupid enough to go off piste on stuff i aint prerpared for/ dont know the terrain.

also thanks for the suggestions. Will have a browse now im on my lunch break Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 11-04-12 13:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:

Les Coches to ski Paradiski
Oz-en-Oisans to ski Alphe D'Huez
Le Praz to ski 3V
Les Brevierres to Tigne/Val D

Layne

sorry i just wanted to ask about these. When you have put Les coches to Ski paradiski do you mean stay in Les coches and youll be linked to Paradiski? Paradiski looks amazing. Rather pricey though! I'm thinking of going for 2 weeks. I find after 5/6 days you have got back into the swing of things, then you have to leave XD. And for the rest of the list is it the same thing? or do you mean stay at the first then move onto the second?

Also wouldnt staying in one place which allows me to access other larger resorts mean ill have to pay for seperate ski passes? Or can you buy one that will allow you to use all the slopes in the surrounding area?

Cheers mate

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 11-04-12 13:37; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
xander89, wow do you write text as if you were speaking? Your enthusiasm certainly comes across but it is quite hard going reading "I mean" in every second sentence!

A couple of resorts I have enjoyed the most over the few years are listed below. I prefer spring snowbaording, and they have mostly been group holidays with friends, so that is reflected in the resort choice.

Les2Alps - better apres than skiing as the ski are does feel a little small despite its reported km's. The bar at the mid station from 3pm for happy hour and techno is great. Quite a cheap resort.

Morzine - great ski are into PDS, varied terrain. If you actually stay IN Morzine then good nightlife too, although there is not one 'central' bar where everyone congregates at the end of the day due to the lay out of the ski area. Lots of independent chalets wiht hot tubs. Short transfer time, possibility for weekend trips.

Val Thorens - amazing resort in itself, good for spring conditions as so high and easy access into the rest of the 3V. Good Apres, either at folie Deuce or 360 bar. If you like pretty chalets or a chalet with its own sauna or hot tub then this isn't the place to go as most 'chalets' are in apartment buildings with 'access to spa'. Long transfer time but worth it for a week.

ADH - I was supprised at how much I liked ADH, really nice ski area with varied terrain adn a nice town. A lot of accomodation is kind of ski in ski out. Reasonably priced chaletsi n the Altiport complex which are good location for skiing but a bit of a treck for bars. High but south facing so not one to go to late in the season. We didn't really find a good slope side bar but then it was mius 16, windy and snowing the entire week I was there so maybe things are different in the sunshine.

Places I din't really like:
Les Carroz - town too small, resort not very well laid out. Ski bus a pain. Too many crappy narrow and cut-up 'link' runs.
Chamonaiz - I know, I know, everyone loves the off-piste but I was there as an intermediate for the pistes and I didn't like having to get a ski bus all the time or the spread out nature of the ski areas. Night life good though, and the transfer time from Geneva or accesability by train are super.

Plus plenty more places which were fine and I wouldn't object if someone else organised a holiday for me, but I probably wouldn't bother going again if I was organising.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kat.ryb wrote:
xander89, wow do you write text as if you were speaking? Your enthusiasm certainly comes across but it is quite hard going reading "I mean" in every second sentence!

A couple of resorts I have enjoyed the most over the few years are listed below. I prefer spring snowbaording, and they have mostly been group holidays with friends, so that is reflected in the resort choice.

Les2Alps - better apres than skiing as the ski are does feel a little small despite its reported km's. The bar at the mid station from 3pm for happy hour and techno is great. Quite a cheap resort.

Morzine - great ski are into PDS, varied terrain. If you actually stay IN Morzine then good nightlife too, although there is not one 'central' bar where everyone congregates at the end of the day due to the lay out of the ski area. Lots of independent chalets wiht hot tubs. Short transfer time, possibility for weekend trips.

Val Thorens - amazing resort in itself, good for spring conditions as so high and easy access into the rest of the 3V. Good Apres, either at folie Deuce or 360 bar. If you like pretty chalets or a chalet with its own sauna or hot tub then this isn't the place to go as most 'chalets' are in apartment buildings with 'access to spa'. Long transfer time but worth it for a week.

ADH - I was supprised at how much I liked ADH, really nice ski area with varied terrain adn a nice town. A lot of accomodation is kind of ski in ski out. Reasonably priced chaletsi n the Altiport complex which are good location for skiing but a bit of a treck for bars. High but south facing so not one to go to late in the season. We didn't really find a good slope side bar but then it was mius 16, windy and snowing the entire week I was there so maybe things are different in the sunshine.

Places I din't really like:
Les Carroz - town too small, resort not very well laid out. Ski bus a pain. Too many crappy narrow and cut-up 'link' runs.
Chamonaiz - I know, I know, everyone loves the off-piste but I was there as an intermediate for the pistes and I didn't like having to get a ski bus all the time or the spread out nature of the ski areas. Night life good though, and the transfer time from Geneva or accesability by train are super.

Plus plenty more places which were fine and I wouldn't object if someone else organised a holiday for me, but I probably wouldn't bother going again if I was organising.

I did put "I mean" 4 times in my last post! but only once before then Neh Neh. Would just like to point that out in an attempt to redeem my terrible grammar. I tend to repeat myself when I’m rushing. Thanks for the advice. Will add it to the list of places I'll look at.

Après Ski isn't something I’m TOO worried about. I don’t plan to do much heavy drinking, rather just a few drinks in the eve with a nice meal, so clubs and bars aren’t a must. I would prefer a Chalet i can rent with a few other people so we can cook ourselves. Going out will factor into it if i go for 2 weeks, but when you have 5/6 days its a bit rubbish losing half a day due to a hangover!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
xander89, larger resorts have numerous towns/villages within the "ski domain". Sometimes the ski domain is effectively two already large domains linked together. Paradiski is the classic (recent) example of this. Previously there were two areas "La Plagne" and "Les Arcs". Then they built the Vanoise Express - a fo big cable car that links the two. And they called the new mega domain Paradiski. But even in La Plagne itself there are numerous towns/villages to stay.

Now it may make little or no difference where you stay but I'd say more often than not it will. Taking the examples I gave for example. The reason I like Les Coches is because I like the town - it's small but got what you need. The skiing above the town is tree lined to halfway and good. So for example when the weather is poor you still have good skiing. It's close to the VE mentioned above, so you can ski easily flip to one side or the other. I could take you through the full list but you get the idea.

The Paradiski lift pass is mightily expensive it's true. Hence why our latest trip (wife and two young kids) was to a small French resort called La Norma. There is always the option with the large resorts to buy an area lift pass or even a "local" lift pass. But I would say for you that may be a false economy. And in reality at 22 skiing first lift to last every day it's likely that you will get your moneys worth Toofy Grin
latest report
xander89, just also read your latest post. You sound like a very sensible chap and wise for your age. I once lost a powder day from getting drunk the night before. Stupid. It sounds to me like you want to avoid the big towns like Val D, Meribel and ADH.

To get the most skiing for your bucks... fill a car and drive out. Max out an apartment. Buy your food and drink from the supermarket.

Oh and just to clarify... my list was a trip by trip one. Paradiski next one, ADH next one, etc. Vaguely graded in toughness of skiing.

TBH though there is an argument for doing repeat visits, especially the more off piste you do.. because getting to know the terrain, the dangers, etc, helps.
ski holidays
xander89 wrote:
Ok so for the main bit! I want to know peoples favorite places to ski in europe and what are the best times to go.
The best time to ski is always 'soon'!
Given that we're virtually at the end of the season, if soon isn't going to be November or later, you need to go high. eg. Val Thorens.
As such, I heartily recommend the EoSB as your next trip Wink

Kit-wise: I'd say you are very sensible looking to get your own boots, fitted properly, at this stage. I'd be a little more cautious about jumping into buying skis though. Between the costs of the initial purchase, air carriage and servicing there's not a lot to be saved compared to hiring, especially if you use an advance booking service like skiset or alpinresorts.
Once you have your own boots and that variable becomes a constant, try out as many skis as you can and really get to know the differences in how they feel and perform. At the moment, if you'll excuse my candour, your naivety regarding skis is showing and it sort of sets you up to be sold any old rubbish that the shop might want to get rid of, if you're not careful Wink
latest report
I would love to go asap and the link you provided would have been at the top of my list providing i could take the holiday now( considering how cheap it is). But alas i just started a new job and taking holiday before my probation is up wouldnt be the best move Wink. Do you run any other things like this around the Xmas or jan/feb period?

I dont claim to know much about ski's im just going on what i felt most comfortable with on my last trip. Hence the questions. I'm also planning on going to the the Milton keynes snow dome in order to try out more types so i dont limit myself. I would probably be driving/getting the train to most of these places. ( i dont have a license but am planning on getting one soon/have friends who drive). But i suppose that depends on where i go.

Also thanks Layne. Aslong as i can get to large resorts easily/ on a cable i dont mind staying in a smaller town. Its exactly as you said. I dont want to miss a day of skiing which may end up being soo good i regret it. Skiing is an expensive holiday and you might as well make the most of it Neh Neh. I was prepared to spend up to £500 ( 600 or so euros) on a ski pass for 2 weeks. If it gives me an extensive area to ski i dont mind forking out the extra cash. I want to have a proper big holiday in jan/feb and maybe a short one this year if there are any times/places which will have decent skiing around November? If so where would people recommend so early in the season? Somewhere really high im guessing Neh Neh?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-04-12 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
xander89, there is summer skiing on the glaciers. I've never done it and tbh don't feel the need. IIRC the high altitude resorts can open up mid-Nov. But if I was you I would wait until mid-December. Going out 15th Dec should be cheapish and I've been at this time with no probs.
snow conditions
I recommend Val Thorens, stayed there in January 2012. Best ski holiday i've been on. There's a few pics from last year I stayed in Brides that time. It's ok, but nightlfe is non existant compared to VT.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1913516
snow report
xander89, the PSB will be end Nov/beginning Dec, in Tignes, Val Claret (high!) and will be a bargain of similar proportions.
Watch out for it - should be available next month.
Last year, the main hotel sold out in 2 just weeks but we did manage to find enough satellite apartments for everyone, who wanted to come, in the end.
ski holidays
sweettttt that would be perfect for a quick cheap trip out to refresh myself before my big one in jan/feb. Might try and persuade a few mates to come too! How far were the satellite apartments out from the main hotel?

and wow flights are dirt cheap to Geneva too!
snow report
Everything was within 10 mins [sober] walk of the hotel.
We all ate together at the hotel and used its bars, ski room etc.
The apartments were effectively used as satellite bedrooms once the hotel's own were full.
latest report
Dude, love your enthusiasm.

You need to factor some lessons in. With all the natural talent int he world, three weeks is not a lot of experience, and if you want to ski hard offpiste, you NEED decent technique.

As well as that, you should do a season. Now, while you're young without too much responsibility. To progress you need the time on skis (there really is no substitute), and to really get into the offpiste (unless forking out for a guide everyday), you need the time to learn where the good stuff is, and be there long enough to get it in good conditions.

If you want to ski offpiste, you need to get avi gear (transciever/shovel/probe) - and lessons on both how to use it, and avoid getting caught in an avalanche in the first place. Very, very important.

Also don't worry about big resorts with lots of kilometres of pistes, that often means there is less unpisted stuff around, without hiking. Plus lift passes will be more expensive. Other than that, most resorts will have more than enough to keep you occupied and happy, if you're willing to explore.
ski holidays
xander89, pretty impressive being comfortable on all blacks after just 3 ski trips

Where have you skiied already?

I think good idea to get boots, but I wouldn't get skis at this point

January is great month to go skiing. Crowd free. Lifts will close half hour earlier due to darkness but you'll ski uninterrupted all day. Can be tough because bad weather can make visibility very poor and make things uncomfortable for you. More risk of fog. Jan blizzards can make for real white-outs. If it has recently snowed though you'll have powder lasting for days. If it hasn't, pistes can get very icy (sun is not strong enough to soften it) and some black runs can be VERY treacherous.

I agree with others that Val Thorens would suit you perfectly
snow report
well the first two times were with my school. I went on a dry slope a couple of times before going, but got plonked in the beginner group as it was my first time on real snow ( there were 4 groups ). then was moved up to the one below advanced after 2 days ( this trip was when i was 12) . Next time i went i got put strait into the " advanced group" where we were thrown straight into blacks and reds. Both those ski trips were in Italy but for the life of me cant remember where, the second time i went was when i was 14. We also did some off piste too, which i wasn’t prepared for at all!

The Last time i went was in the first year of uni so around 3 years ago. I booked a holiday with two other mates. That was in Valloire, so i skied the Grandes Drozes black run and all the ones i could get to from valloire. They became pretty challenging on one day when 1-2 feet of powder fell. I think thats when i got my first real taste of a totally ungroomed chopped up black run in pretty poor visibility! It was amazing, i loved it. I cant say that i would be confident on EVERY black run in existence as i haven’t skied enough and im sure there are plenty of black runs that would scare the shite out of me and considering Valloire isn’t exactly a very challenging place to ski im sure i will have plenty to look forward to. But i haven’t felt out of my depth on the black runs ive been down so far. I enjoy the challenge and i find the best way to learn is to continue pushing your abilities, even at the low skill level I’m at. Hell if you don’t hop out of your comfort zone you won’t end up improving.

Hey clarky999, ! thanks for the advice. As i said with the offpiste stuff i want to start with something i can tackle comfortably at my current level. I can tell your a nuts free rider and the stuff your talking about is well out of my depth at the moment! But its something i really want to get into as i get more experience. But yes i would need to go with a mate who is really experienced/ a guide. I'm quite the nut job when it comes to skiing, don’t know why, but then again I’m not an idiot. I’m not going to bite off more than i can chew and risk breaking my leg doing something rather simple. I mean i would try and show you a vid of me skiing on a black run on my last holiday to give you an idea of the level im at ,but you’ll probs pick me to pieces XD.

I would love to do a whole season, but as mentioned before i have just started my first real job, so doing an uninterrupted season isnt really on the cards. But What im planning on doing is a week in Nov with you lot on the PSB, just to get myself into it again, then a longer 2 week holiday in jan/feb. I might try and make 2 ski holidays a season a regular thing as i now have a bit of cash.

Also admin how are the trips done, who do we end up paying etc? Is it through a company or the forums?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 12-04-12 11:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I organise it through the forums although some elements may be provided to us by a tour op.
There are buttons for the bashes: the first one is to say you're 'interested', which reveals the ones to 'sign up', to declare yourself 'likely' or to confess you have a button pressing issue.

Different bashes have differing arrangements. For example, the Spring Off Piste Bash (SOPiB) was done through a tour op these past 2 years so included flights and transfers although no lift pass as we choose between resorts on the day according to where the best snow conditions are to be found, while the EoSB includes accommodation and lift pass (+ a couple of treats) but people arrange their own travel.

The consistent element is that people discuss the trip and their plans for it on the relevant topic allowing everyone to muck in together more effectively, eg. sharing cars and stuff.
snow conditions
okey sounds good. Its just in terms of payment and to which party it goes to etc. How would i go about paying for it when it comes around? Ofc i want to feel comfy with where I'm sending my money if im planning it through the forums which isnt a proper company or anything. ( I'm not throwing accusations as i know its legit, i just want to know what the deal is NehNeh)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xander89, the deal is one based on trust. The money gets paid to admin personally. Although he is not a tour operator (and that is one of the reasons that non-tour operated bashes do not include travel) he has been organising several bashes a year since 2005 and, so far as I am aware, nobody has complained in all of that time that he has run off with their money or delivered anything but fantastic value. If you are worried about this level of informality, I suggest you adopt the attitude I do, which is that the deal for each bash looks fantastic, there's not a lot of money at stake, if all goes well I'll be happy, and if it doesn't, I won't be poorer by a significant amount. It works for me, even though I am old, cautious and a solicitor!

Besides which, lots of us have met admin and know where he lives. wink
latest report
Okey, well obviously i only started posting on this site yesterday so i think i will need to build the trust. Even though everyone seems really friendly i think i would have a harder time persuading my mates to put up 400-500 to a person on a forum i only recently started posting on. Ofc it would be easier if i had a face to put to the name admin NehNeh. I'm sure i will become more confident as i browse the forums more and more.
snow conditions
xander89,
Quote:

it would be easier if i had a face to put to the name admin
Possibly. Keep an eye on the events forum, then, there are occasions/mini-meets in the UK which he invariably attends.
Quote:

I'm sure i will become more confident as i browse the forums more and more.
I'm sure you will too.
latest report
xander89 wrote:
it would be easier if i had a face to put to the name admin

Are you sure?? Confused It might be better left to your imagination.... wink

Admin 'may' be spotted in this photo from a recent bash
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75848&start=760#2018949
snow report
cathy, along the lines of what I had been about to post, but decided wouldn't be kind. Naughty cathy! Laughing
ski holidays
Talking of mini-meets, is it about time we had a London Off-line?
ski holidays
well i think if i met people in London that would make me feel better NehNeh also gives you guys the oppertunity to take the wee wee out of my lack of knowlage in person NehNeh hehe.
ski holidays
Assuming you are not a millionaire, and therefore value for money is important, then here is a vague idea of how we plan a ski season. You can do any or all of the below, and we've not got it too far wrong so far.

Start of season trip, usually second week of Dec. Go high, altitude is key, that has restricted us to Tignes and Val Thorens in recent years, though there are some very high resorts in Austria and Italy we've not explored them yet. Less than 2,000m up and you could be in trouble. Or you could be fine. Focus on altitude first and everything else is secondary. No point going on a ski trip in a grassy field.

Second trip of the season second week in January. Cheapest point in the season when you can basically guarantee good snow in most resorts, and prices are depressed after Xmas and New Year. Resorts tend to be lively, but slopes are fairly quiet and you can go almost anywhere. This year we are doing Courchevel that week, but pretty much any ski resort in Europe will be fully open by that week.

Last trip of the season is now the EoSB for us in the last week of April. Great week away, cheap enough that snow conditions are very much secondary, but high enough altitude that it is always going to be ok at the very least. Good opportunity to get some coaching after a season of working on things and full of confidence.

If you go for expensive weeks (usually school holidays) you will find busy resorts and queues for lifts, packed restaurants, and I find that a bit tedious. If you go for the cheap weeks you can see what is cheap. Historically I've used Iglu to see the cheap weeks in various resorts and get something booked, they cover so many options now that you can find something for almost any budget and to suit most tastes.

I wouldn't bother buying anything other than boots at this stage, unless you can pick up skis for dirt cheap. Whatever you buy now will probably not be ideal, they will either be too advanced or you will grow out of them very quickly as you develop. It will be a few weeks yet before you are settled and know what you really want out of a ski, so no point wasting money now when you can rent and try out a range of options, as well as getting the ideal ski for you at that point (and those conditions) - otherwise you end up with a loft full of skis and not a lot of money. Trust me I know this.
latest report
Good advice re timings from Monium We had to go away at New Year last year due to work constraints and it was galling to see the price we paid halve for the following two weeks!
snow conditions
xander89, we usually meet up a couple of times a year in London, I'll be sorting somehting soon - watch out for thre thread.
ski holidays
Cool Cool. Well yes value for money is always a factor. Ah i thought the start of season trip was in late Nov, wont dec start to get really busy, or is it just beating the school holidays? My main holiday was meant to be in jan / early feb when prices are low and resorts are quite. But I'm not sure if im going to be able to swing 3 weeks of hols so close together. but well see as technically its 2 seperate holiday periods. Im only an exec so I wont be missed TOO much NehNeh. I think that an EoSB isnt on the cards for me.

I want to avoid school hols at ALL costs. XD. I noticed with companies like Iglu and Crystal they dont do holidays till december. Nov doesnt seem to be an option. Sad. Is the snow just not good enough that early in the season?

Ill defo get some boots and hold off on the skis for now and just try as many as possible and maybe get a pair next year in the sales.

I'll try and keep and eye out for the London meet. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Nov doesnt seem to be an option

Very few places open in November. Early to mid December is more typical, and the opening dates can be pushed back if the (lack of) snow requires it. That is why a lot of TOs don't start their holidays until the 2nd or 3rd week of the season.

Quote:

wont dec start to get really busy, or is it just beating the school holidays?

Pretty much. The super cheap weeks are at the tail end's plus the first two weeks in Jan as described above, but basically prices are reasonable as long as it's not a school holiday. Although there are an awful lot more school holidays than you might expect with the various French half terms and the moving Easter dates.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy