Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Bashing 3Vs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
johnE wrote:
I suppose we call them piste bashers cos thats what they do

Seems pretty open and shut to me...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schuss in Boots, yes we did, which is why I put

Quote:

The upper slopes were often good to excellent esp. after the snow falls

It's not clear if doctor_eeyore, got any or not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Not criticising, just trying to understand the relationship between piste bashing quality and piste quality from the posts above. S'all. Confused
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schuss in Boots, Sorry, that wasn't meant to sound terse. I didn't feel criticised, I just wondered if you had spotted that I'd mentioned we had all that lovely snow, which, as you know, does make a huge difference to the pistes. No problem here Very Happy

We found that when they had the big dumps of snow on the wider pistes it was almost as though they only deliberately pisted one half of the slopes in some places. The deep powder is fun to play in, but takes some skiing esp. if you only have thinner skis it was as though they left it deep for those that wanted the fun and/or had the equipment, but provided a corridor of bashed stuff for anyone that couldn't cope with it, esp. when there were only one or two easy runs off the top of a lif.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, Nope, hadn't spotted it.... scan reading... rolling eyes No worries and thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="bobmcstuff"]Didn't have that happen in 3Vs in January (in fact, pistes seemed pretty immaculate).

I agree they were perfect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From the FIS wiki.

" Normally snow will pack and groom best in a relatively narrow temperature range between -10 and 0 degrees Celsius. Extremely cold dry snow (below -20 C) does not pack well, and as a general rule, all grooming of extremely warm snow (above 0 C) should be avoided. Warm wet snow can be a sticky frustrating mess and if followed by a cold spell the resulting icy surface can be dangerous. But, the pressures applied by an impatient skiing public or an upcoming race may force groomers to pack and groom in less than ideal conditions."

"Warm, wet snow is another matter. Whenever possible the best course of action in extremely sloppy conditions is to leave it alone. This is especially true if cold weather is predicted for the immediate future. The extra compaction produced by grooming melting snow can turn trails into armour plate if temperatures drop suddenly. Still, there will be times when grooming in the slop has to be done, and in some areas (coastal zones, for example) where warm and wet are the norm, there will be no choice. Even in warm periods there may be times when temperatures and surface moisture levels drop enough for productive grooming (usually late night or very early morning)."
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,
Quote:

One thing I consistently think is brilliant in the 3V areas and seems superior to both what we have found in Austria and Les Arcs is the quality of signage and piste edge marking in the 3V's
Hear hear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ thirded! Especially compared with NZ, where there is virtually none ! Shocked
Very different H&S culture [fear]
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica, Compagnie des Alpes is currently (now and next season) upgrading all signage in La Plagne for consistency and durability. I guess once LP is done they may move onto Les Arcs.
Small piece on the subject on Romains site
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#31_03_12
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy