Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reccomend me some protective gear

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

So ive just finished a beginners course at the local dry slope, and they dont provide all the protective gear on supervised sessions, so please reccomend me some.

wrist guards
elbow pads
knee pads
impact shorts?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you've finished the beginners course you should be over the worst of it. My advice would be - "None".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with rogg, you don't need all that guff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok, but a lot of my friends still have the stuff, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, so please could I have recommends for the items please.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What protective kit to wear is entirely down to the individual. I wear impact shorts (also provide added insulation), knee pads and a helmet on a regular basis boarding. Wrist pads only come out when in the park, learning how to fall properly helps, I don't stick my hands out to stop my falls.

What makes to suggest depends on your budget and what sort of protection you are after, soft, hard etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wrist guards, all you need when you still falling with hands out, helmet too, always.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not trying to be mean but you need to do some research. Go to the websites, read the guff, look at reviews then go to some shops and actually try some stuff on for yourself. Our bodies are all different shapes and sizes, we all have personal preferences and prejudices, and of course budgets. try searching other threads too which deal with advice on all of the above items.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The hard knee pads I tried all be it old ones they weren't that comfortable , how much protection do the softer ones offer ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarny, you a skier or boarder? And what is it you plan to attempt?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hard or soft ? You can cheap from basic rollerblade protective kit sold in any toyshop/sports direct up to 661/Forcefield/Dainese and the hardcore Moto designed stuff.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sarny, We use,
wrist guards: RED
elbow pads: Dainese
knee pads: Dainese
impact shorts: Dainese
back protector: Dainese
helmet: what fits with plenty of ventilation
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'm not trying to be mean but you need to do some research

erm, is not asking for recommendations research?

I came on here recently to ask for help re. wrist guards and it helped me immensely.

Please remember - we are supposed to be a helpful friendly website.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sarny, I ended up with Dakine wrist guards for my daughter - bought from Amazon with the sizing worked out from the Dakine website - at £20 I really cant complain.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers Shimmy - if people dont like my questions they should just go away and not answer, i just asked for a shortcut for some good reccomends.

Im gonna pop to a shop and see, i like the sound of the softer ones, but then again, if they dont offer much protection id rather go for something more substancial.

im a skier, who is trying his hand at boarding. impact shorts seem a must, my bum is sore.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sarny, the site is still slow at the moment - waiting for people to get into the snow season, Im sure lots of useful recommendations will come along Smile
latest report
I STILL wear wrist guards (dakine) and knee pads (random skate shop ones - soft not hard) and a helmet. I'm assuming you wear one of those but that should be top of your list if you have yet to purchase one.

Good luck - the worst of the pain is over (beginning on a dry slope - OUCH!) not all boarders are as rude as this lot Very Happy
latest report
If we are discussing helmets too - then its fine to do a bit of online research but IMO you need to get to a couple of shops and test what feels good
snow conditions
Doesn't matter what protection I wear, it never feels the same Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
For ski park shorts though, I love the Dainese impact shorts with mesh legs. On the motorbike I swear by Knox. But get what fits. If it doesn't suit your body it will shift during a crash and not offer a decent level of protection.
snow conditions
I wasn't trying to be unfriendly just pointing out that without more research the OP would be none the wiser. We could all, as has cad99uk, write a list of what we use but that says very little (no dig there I know you are just trying to be helpful). Each of these items has been discussed at great length many times so a general question trying to cover all aspects of protection is too broad. We all know the arguments that rage over protection.
By suggesting research I was trying to be helpful, i.e. make an informed decision based on data/facts about the kit.
snow report
robapplegate, Probably up to Sarny to decide what is helpful.
snow conditions
I have a helemt, bought some Dakine wrist guards. Gonna browse the knee pads, see if i can get any deals off ebay and go from there,thanks for the advise for the people that gave it, it ALWAYS seems an effort to open a thread, I thought my question was reasearch from real people who use the stuff, always getting criticised....
ski holidays
Sarny, dont take it to heart wink
snow conditions
cad99uk, Fair comment
Sarny, Apologies, I wasn't intending to cause offence at all Embarassed
snow report
I would recommend soft knee pads as they still offer good protection and more comfortable. I wear Rucanor knee pads, cheap and great. I'll never board without them. Decathlon do a pair for £6.

Impact shorts are useful for learning, otherwise not needed. I wear mine especially for freestyle as I'm still a beginner and it f****** hurts.
snow report
I would recommend you keep your thumbs tucked in when you fall & keep some condoms in your wallet. Twisted Evil
latest report
I've used Flexmeter and Red wristguards, both good. Try them with your gloves before you buy though. I have a Sweet Trooper helmet, which I can't recommend highly enough, though it's a foolishly expensive item so you probably want something cheaper if you're buying a lot of stuff at once. Didn't rate K2 helmets much, liked Giro. Again, you need to try them on, and with your goggles as well. Can't help you with knee pads or terminator pants as I've never used either. I've only fallen on those bits of myself once in five seasons on a board, though this might be different if you frequent the park.
ski holidays
got 661 Riot knee pads for my daughter. They are "soft" and looked uncomfortable as fook but they came recommended - shes got on great with them. £20-25.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott,
six six one is quality gear!
ski holidays
Sarny, protection is all about risk . . . what do you plan on doing? Bimble round on hero snow and all you'll need is a fat wallet for the lunchtime beers.
Play in the park and you need all the D3o you can wrap yourself in . . . until you can actually stick a landing . . . that's an 'if' not a 'when' Crying or Very sad

Basic day wear . . . Helmet and armoured pants

Pushing your limits . . . add a back protector and gel or D3o knee pads
snow conditions
Another vote for "none".

If you're going to muck about in parks then you'll pick up from the people who ride there what works and what doesn't. Your safety is more about what you do than what you buy. If you're going to "push your limits" and you stack on your head, no amount of "safety gear" will make any difference. You can't buy safety, although you can dangerously sell the idea that you can.

Lists of toys that people I've never seen ride have bought show that some people like buying toys. If you're in that group, then why not just find a shop and buy one of everything? Then you can give away what's useless piece by piece.

Doing your own research seems to me to be sound advice. Asking your instructor would be a good start.
snow conditions
Wouldnt bother with any of it unless you are going to go stupid without the required skills.
ski holidays
philwig, At whatever level you slide you will make a simple little mistake like catching an edge. On skis this usually results in a graceless diving sprawl . . . on a board you can whiplash your head into the ground with incredible force. A helmet will not stop you getting killed but it will . . . and from VERY personal experience . . . ameliorate the less than fatal impacts to falls you will walk (or wobble) away from rather than get blood sledged down to the ambulance. As for pant and knee protection, it depends on conditions. Great soft snow requires nothing; But hard or icy piste like most learner slopes, needs the casual protection of butt and knees.

I'm not an advocate of wrist protection 'cos I know how to fall and that's a skill everyone should learn.
ski holidays
Masque I, and others, suggested that people do their own research and make their own decisions, whilst being generally sceptical about the effectiveness of "safety" gear as opposed to riding safely.

I think you're advocating something else, based on your "personal experience". The problem with that is that that it may conflict with the data... If you check the data on wrist guards, you'd note that they are the most effective protection for beginners, yet your personal experience leads you to "think" they're useless. Doing your own research would avoid that, no?

I can't remember having ever "caught an edge" on a snowboard, although I suppose I would have when learning to ski. If I'd had a full-face helmet on I guess I could have safely slapped the Dendix with my face, but I didn't and so I didn't. I'm sure there are separate threads where people argue about helmets.
ski holidays
philwig, said
Quote:

I'm sure there are separate threads where people argue about helmets.

Oh yes indeed Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
message removed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 17-10-13 6:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
themutecollective wrote:
Please do not see this an annoying advertising post

Posting the same thing 8 times in different threads is VERY annoying!
latest report
message removed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 17-10-13 6:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
themutecollective, pretty much any internet forum will consider it bad form to post the same thing in lots of places, particularly when you are trying to sell something and even more particularly when you are new to the forum!
Look carefully and you'll find a buying and selling section, look in there carefully and you'll find the buying and selling rules for the site!
ski holidays
message removed

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 17-10-13 6:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy