Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dressing a 4 year old for the slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
We’re going skiing / snowboarding in 5 weeks and just wanted to know what others did as in terms of dressing a 4 yr old for the slopes, this is our first time with the little one so just wanted to seek advice. He will be having lessons so we need to make sure he’s wrapped up warm enough whilst he’s with them and trying to get any hints out of a 4 year old is hard work!

He has technical pants / jackets, thermal base layers, what else does he need up top? I was thinking…thermal base layer, long sleeve jersey and a sweater / hoody?

Thanks in advance.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Craig G, where will you be? Some places will be colder than others (shade, north-facing) and it can be different on a sunny day than an overcast one.

Layers are the answer, and thin ones. All other things considered, he may be fine with a good base layer, long sleeved top and his jacket. A neck warmer is good, especially first thing or if it's windy, and good gloves are very important. Have at least 2/3 pairs but they don't all have to be expensive - some for playing snowballs etc., which are then taken off to dry and replaced by better quality for his lessons.

Can he have his own backpack to leave in the ski school office? You can put in a spare extra top, hat for when no helmet, gloves etc., as well as some biscuits or chocolate. He'll need good sun cream for snow conditions as well as good sunglasses/goggles or both. Have a look in Aldi this week (Thursday I think) for ski gear that's OK quality and a good price.

May sound obvious, but make sure he's able to get in/out of his jacket and pants easily, to go to the loo
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. We're going to Les Gets. Pretty much what I thought really. He's already got sunglasses, goggles and multiple pair of gloves. The ruck sack is a good idea.

We've been through the 'wee' drill with him already Laughing

We're hoping that due to him already having lessons over here will result in little standing around time on the slopes.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Craig G, welcome to SHs snowHead sounds about right. I would have a selection of layers so you can add to or subtract as the temperature dictates. We always found lighter, thinner stuff better than heavier jumpers as you don't want the little one stuffed up like the Michelin man and unable to move easily wink

A couple of things come to mind, we had thermal base layers for our son, the fitted kind and we also had loser fitting micro fleece base layer sets, so if we needed to we could fit one over the other and the fleece top served as a mid layer most of the time. Someone on here the other day suggested the cheap micro fleece pyjamas from primark as an extra mid layer which is a good cheap option! We also had another thinnish fleece if needed and a lightweight fleece gilet that we could use as an extra layer for very cold but without the bulk in the arms or as a layer for warmer days when a full fleece wasn't needed.

As well as that good socks are worth their weight in gold, I don't scrimp on socks, likewise fairly decent mitts and get the mitts on a string through the jacket, there is one called Manbi glove glue which is great. And a thin silk or fleece balaclava which will fit under the helmet for very cold days, otherwise a buff round the neck. Others will have more ideas Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Montana, is right- layers are the answer at least 4, and none should på tiegt. Mitens and liners for hands + helmet and ninja hut.

Do not use gloves use mittens + liners!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Craig G, if he's a complete beginner he will probably be quite active in his lessons - jumping up and down, stepping around, getting up when he falls over, etc. As Montana says, temperatures vary enormously. It might be very cold - especially if there's some wind chill - or it might be comparatively warm and the layers you suggest will be far too hot.

In particular I would avoid a hoodie. If the hood is inside the jacket it will be bunched up and uncomfy, if it's outside it'll get wet and soggy. And you need to avoid any cotton layers which, if they get wet, will be cold and claggy. A thermal base, a thin fleece and his jacket (assuming it's a warm one, not just a shell) will probably be OK unless it's especially cold. Goggles and a helmet, obviously. Definitely a neck warmer.

and a mini-bar of some kind (Mars or similar) in the pocket.

And do lots of tobogganing - that gets them hot very quickly!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah wrote:
Craig G,
likewise fairly decent mitts and get the mitts on a string through the jacket, there is one called Manbi glove glue which is great

Thanks for that tip Sarah, just bought one off eBay Smile

Hyst wrote:

Do not use gloves use mittens + liners!

By gloves I do mean mittens, he'd spend more time trying to get in gloves than actual skiing Laughing

Thanks for the additional tips Pam, especially the hoody, even though I know about the hood scrunching up I didn't think about it like that Embarassed

I'll go for a look round for additional bits this weekend

Thanks all Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Craig G, don't forget a pair of warm and waterproof snow boots (you can find them for £10 if you shop around). Those, plus slippers for indoors, are all they need if you are packing light.

Light, thin, cheap, fleeces are ideal, off the slopes and off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Craig G, As pam w, says, he'll need slippers but if - like my sons - he won't wear them, try slipper socks with the little rubber things on the soles. Again, Aldi will have them for a few ££ for a pack of two pairs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I believe the wife has already bought some snow boots and he wears slipper socks at home anyway (wooden floors throughout)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What everyone else said, wth added emphasis on the mitten string!! And don;t let him use ski poles till he's older, they're much better to learn without poles to distract & throw them off balance, and too difficult to look after- they leave them behind, drop them off lifts etc- most instructors won't let the little ones bring them anyway so they're just a waste of time Happy

Cant recommend a buff enough wither. Light enough to pull over face & breathe through when it's really cold, or as a light hat under the helmet. Helmets are really warm so you only want something very light under it.

String for holding sunglasses- basically attach everything to him Happy

Best of luck, and enjoy!! Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And enjoy the limited time before he overtakes you in skiing ability, speed, etc Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh yes, and try to control your lift terror. I thought I'd be a totally chilled out lift-mom, but seeing my boy perched on the edge of a lift, legs swinging & weighted down by his little skis- my nerves were shot!! Much easier bringing other peoples kids on lifts wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Who have you got him skiing with? My kids had LGS and they were fab with kids, would take them in for a drink if got too cold. My son is 8 now but gets cold, he has a brilliant Didricksons all in one and he wears thin fleece and merino base layer under. Mitts are great plus a small chocolate bar in his pocket wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chocolate bar, card with mum & dad's phone numbers, lift pass (if needed) placed somewhere where you, the instructor and the liftie can all see or find it, spare mittens, €10 note for extra hot chocolate, small packet of gummi-bears, 2 packs of tissues, spare pair of underpants just in case, tube of sun cream, sunglasses.
ski holidays
quinton, that's a long list, poor wee thing. I'd put suncream on before he goes off. Goggles on top of helmet. forget the underpants - if he has an accident it will hopefully stay fairly warm till the end of the lesson and how on earth would a 4 year old get his ski boot off, climb out of his (wet or worse) trousers, discard old underpants, put on new ones, put the (yuk) ski pants back on, and finally put ski boots on what would probably be wet, and possibly piddly, feet.

I'd forget the gummi bears too. Rule 5. And he has a choc bar, for goodness sake.
ski holidays
Quote:

Chocolate bar, card with mum & dad's phone numbers, lift pass (if needed) placed somewhere where you, the instructor and the liftie can all see or find it, spare mittens, €10 note for extra hot chocolate,

This.

No need to go overboard, he'll have grown out of everything by next season and it's not like he's ever going to be more than 100m from a mountain hut with hot chocolate. Unless it's unusually cold (and assuming an insulate ski jacket) then a normal tshirt and fleece will be fine. Maybe jogging trousers or something on his legs if it's below -10.

I don't about in the UK, but H&M over here have decent kids salopettes, jackets and fleeces.

Don't scrimp on gloves or goggles though.
ski holidays
Quote:

that's a long list, poor wee thing. I'd put suncream on before he goes off. Goggles on top of helmet. forget the underpants - if he has an accident it will hopefully stay fairly warm till the end of the lesson and how on earth would a 4 year old get his ski boot off, climb out of his (wet or worse) trousers, discard old underpants, put on new ones, put the (yuk) ski pants back on, and finally put ski boots on what would probably be wet, and possibly piddly, feet.

I was assuming that he'd be in ski school all day (he would be in Austria) but as I can see the OP is off to Les Gets, perhaps the lessons there are only a couple of hours. Even so, you'd be surprised how much water comes out of both ends of a 4 year old - and how many parents assume that the instructor will sort it all out and deliver their little angel back to them in pristine condition.
snow report
quinton, yes, lessons will only be a couple of hours. I wouldn't be surprised at anything that came out of a 4 year old, believe me. wink I have found 2 hour lessons ample for little ones.
snow conditions
Dressing a 4 year old for the slopes? . . . bin-bag and builders foam Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy