Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BCA Float 30 ?

Poster: A snowHead
I've searched the forum's airbag threads but it seems pretty quiet on BCA models. specifically There's some reviews on Wild Snow but I'd appreciate info on any European experience with them.

Does anyone own/have experience of skiing with the Float 30?
Is there plenty of room for normal kit?
How does it feel weightwise?
Do you use the leg rope all the time and if so does it get in the way? Or do you just slip it on when entering a risk zone?
How does the refill system work in Europe (if at all)?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Big Paua. I invested in one of these this season and I love it.

I like the way it sits on my back. The way it has an enclosed sleeve for a water hydration pack. There are several good pockets and two really useful waist pockets. The actual pull handle is a little difficult to locate IMO but that is about the only downside to it. There is LOADS of room for normal kit and it is well laid out when using it for storing gear.

Weight wise it is not the lightest but for a few extra gm's who really cares if you ask me.

No I don't use the leg straps all that often - and yes only when I am going 'big'

The refilling is a bit of a problem. Getting a refil in the UK from Snow Shepherd is an option but BCA have just appointed a great new European rep who will improve the network on the continent. Paint ball shops and scuba shops should be able to refill quite easily for you... perhaps purchase a spare canister so you have no issues when your on holiday anyway.

All in all I love it and glad I went that way in comparison to a ABS or Snowpuse... it is so well made.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Angus, Thanks - that's reassuring...cos I just bought one.

I'm confused. So do you fly with a full but disconnected cylinder or an empty disconnected cylinder?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Paua wrote:
Steve Angus, Thanks - that's reassuring...cos I just bought one.

I'm confused. So do you fly with a full but disconnected cylinder or an empty disconnected cylinder?

...I live out here in Val d'Isere teaching so it does not affect me. However if I was flying to say the USA (hopefully heading there heliskiing for my honeymoon to Alaska in 2013) then the cylinder will be disconnected and placed in the hold of the aircraft. Either way since BCA are American I reckon I would be able to get a refill easily enough.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus,

This is very helpful, ta.

Looks like Livetoski is the man to speak with. Do you have any more info/contact details on the new European rep.

Re your possible Alaska trip; I've read so much conflicting info on flying with avy bags it's difficult to keep track of what's permitted and what's not but isn't there a straight up blanket ban on flying in the US with any kind of compressed air cylinder? (Sounds a bit extreme I know but it is the States, after all). The idea being that you refill in resort? Or do I have that ar$e about face?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a heads up, sport pursuit have these on sale right now.

Float 30 for £399 and 18 for £369. Big saving.

http://www.sportpursuit.co.uk/bca-avalanche-airbags

If you're not registered with them, you should be. They quite often have some amazing deals on stuff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly,

+ 1!!!!

Hence my sudden and unplanned ownership of a Float 30.

The sport pursuit deals are so good, I find myself working that old retail justification every time I look at the site i.e. "This is such a good deal, I have to buy now to save money. Madness not to, really."

And no, I'm not connected with the ownership in any way.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting...not come across them before, are they effectively a groupon type operation but specifically targetted at sports goods?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big Paua, Just a heads up on Flying with a Float cylinder, they are currently to big to fly with full officially, this may change soon as the IATA are being pushed hard by BCA to have the regs updated for pressure as well as size.

Current advice for flying is to empty the cylinder and have it refilled at a paint ball or dive shop when required.

Sportpursuit is a claerance web site or an over stock end of line operation , they deal direct with importers distributors and manufactures, the BCA 30 is not going to be avialable next season, the new models are the Float 22 and the Float 32
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChrisWo, yep, precisely. I've had a couple of good deals of them and as Big Paua says, It's really hard not to justify buying stuff on every visit. Some good Vaude deals at the moment as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski,

Thanks for that.

Problem: I recall dive shops being pretty thin on the ground the last time I was in Tignes, Chamonix, Serre Chevalier, Kicking Horse...and other non-seaside resorts. I knew there had to be a catch to this deal! What's a lad to do?

Just possibly in resort ski shops might start stocking the necessary re-fill kit ?(he says hopefully).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Paua, They do ice diving on the lake at Tignes so you can probably get a fill there! Was all so looking at the bags but the transport/fill issue seems to be a biggy for those not driving to resorts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're in n america most walmarts have a paintball section i believe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like I have myself a research project to while away the long days of summer. There will be a solution!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Below is the official reply from BCA regarding my query on flying with their avy airbags.

This may be of some help to sHs trying to decide whether to buy or not. I appreciate the honesty of the reply. Admittedly, it still sounds like a bit of a faff and added expense however I expect that both flying and refill procedures will become easier and cheaper within a couple of seasons as the use of airbags increases in parallel with the popularity of off-piste skiing.

Are airbags the new helmets?

"Currently with the Float cylinders to fly with them they do need to be empty with the cylinder heads unscrewed from the cylinder. We are currently in the process and do have refill locations in Europe. Below is the link to our page. We are also working on an exchange cylinder program with our retailers and guiding operations. Our goal is to have a very extensive program before next winter but reality is that it will take some time. On our website we have a Google map set up to help find these locations. We are also able from our European ware house in Austria ship full cylinders to locations that do not have refill access. Please let me know if you have any other questions?"

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/about/map/
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
Big Paua, Just a heads up on Flying with a Float cylinder, they are currently to big to fly with full officially, this may change soon as the IATA are being pushed hard by BCA to have the regs updated for pressure as well as size.

Current advice for flying is to empty the cylinder and have it refilled at a paint ball or dive shop when required.

Sportpursuit is a claerance web site or an over stock end of line operation , they deal direct with importers distributors and manufactures, the BCA 30 is not going to be avialable next season, the new models are the Float 22 and the Float 32

I ordered the float 18 several days ago on what was the last day of the sale. However just been on the site to see whats new and noticed the BCA floats are still on sale for today.
snow report
I was shopping this weekend for the BCA Float 22 and found a stelar deal at cleansnipe.com. They were selling it for $400, but if you sign up for their free membership program you get an extra $40 off. That's the cheapest I found you should check it out!

Heres the link

http://www.cleansnipe.com/pf8/backco...cu-in/BCA2931/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy