Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Resorts in the early summer - Snowhead knowledge sought!

Poster: A snowHead
In early June this year a friend of mine is getting married in Bad Gastein.
I'm flying in to and out of Munich and have a hire car to get to Bad Gastein for the wedding (staying there for a couple of days).

My dilemma is this...

I am there for a week and half in total, so on the way back to Munich plan on going via a couple of other places and doing some summer sightseeing and walking.

Any recommendations for "little gems"?

So far (based on the driving route and my Lonely PLanet guidebook), I was thinking of Zell Am See and Kitzbuhel.

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat, we have been to Niederau in the summer - granted many years ago - and it was delightful. I am sure that some of the larger hotels there will be open at that time - Sonnschien, Alpenland, Simmelwirt (we have stayed there in the winter and they have a pool), Austria.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends what you mean by "a little walking" The Stubi and Otztal are both spentacular mountain ranges. Many years ago we climed the Zugspitze from The Austrian side. All these indicate a base in Innsbruck. If you fance some truely awesome scenery then go over the Brenner pass to the Dolomites and visit Lake Misurina.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fieberbrunn. But I'm biased Laughing

There are great walks, e.g. to the Wildseeloder Haus (though the hut itself only opens from about mid-June), or less strenuous round the Pillersee. You could combine Fieberbrunn (and the surrounding area) with Kitzbühel (and accommodation might be a little cheaper outside Kitz).

Another area you might take in on the way back to Munich would be the Achensee. Indeed, you're spoiled for choice. There's Garmisch too. If you want to be really touristy, Neuschwanstein. I could go on for ever Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After Zell am See and Kitzbühel drive over the Gerlos Pass. Have a look at the Krimml Waterfall on the way... Go to Hintertux for some skiing and amazing views. Drive back to the airport past Achensee and over the Achenpass.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Goether Weg, along the Nordkette ridge above Innsbruck. It's pretty cool, and the views (both sides) are bad-ass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magic_hat, given I have a place in Bad Gastein I'm happy to be accused of being biased but I would suggest that you may find extending your stay a bit in the town itself a good idea. Plenty of hiking in the valley (its part of the www.salzburger-almenweg.at setup) and it borders the Hohe Taurn national park. There's a golf course & swimming lake. Would like to be able to suggest going to check out the Grossglockner but every time I've been up there its been pouring with rain and you couldnt see anything so I don't know if its any good once you're up there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallstatt

Hallstatt is one of the most beautiful villages I have ever seen. Just google up some images, you won´t be disappointed. Gorgeous lake side restaurants, loads of tiny shops and if you want you can visit the salt mines, which sounds a bit boring, but it was actually really interesting, and they have some really long wooden slides which measure your speed Shocked It´s about an hour and a half from Gastein, by the A10 motorway, just after the turn off towards Munich.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 7-04-12 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry tried to get this in my post but failed, try again.......Hallstatt , I know it´s not a "resort" but it really is stunningly beautiful Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow... Loads to go on already!

Thank you all so much... Will look through these and star having a think and planning a route!

Fantastic answers, just the kind of thing i was looking for.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Werfen on the A10 between Salzburg and Gastein has the castle http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/werfen/

and the further up the hill the really cool ice caves, involves some easy walking, cable car - cold in caves so wrap up.
http://www.eisriesenwelt.at/site/content/CB_ContentShow.php?coType=home

Why not try some mountain biking, Wagrain bike park is quite mellow (good for less experienced mtb-ers), can hire all kit.
http://www.bikewagrain.com/en/

or pop down to Schladming and try the Planai bike track - top section nice easy section, lower section pretty full on
http://www.bikeparkplanai.at/en/

The Dachstein Glacier - on a clear day amazing views, walks on the glacier.
http://www.derdachstein.at/en/Home.html

Near St Johann in Pongau (30mins from Gastein) you have a gorge you can walk up - over wooden bridges, pretty good and quite cheap.
http://www.liechtensteinklamm.at/english/klamm.htm

Or pop down to Italy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
magic_hat, i'm with Speedster .... there's plenty to do in Gastein to last you at least a week. Groups stay with us for 3 weeks at a time and have plenty to do. If you want to go further a field, just use Gastein as the base and drive round. PM me if you want any tips.

Is your friend getting married in the Gruner Baum?

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with the tip on Hallstatt. An amazing place. IMO more spectacular then the lake at Zell. Something else to add maybe - combination of train and bus and in 4 or 5 hrs from Bad Gasteins main station you're in Venice. Alternatively put your car on the train through to Malnitz and you can be in Italy in a couple of hours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies for resurrecting an old(ish) thread but I wanted to thank everyone for their help and post an update! It's been a bit late because I seem to have been perpetually busy with work, then I had to change my flight home cutting a few days off the trip, and then i broke my wrist which changed my plans again!

Kersh, Yes, the wedding is in the Gruner Baum.

I looked into all the suggestions given and divvied them into two groups - stuff on the Innsbruck side (Niederau, Fieberbrunn, Pillersee, Kitzbuhel, Zell) and things on the Salzburg side (Hallstatt, Werfen, Schladming etc etc). We ruled out Italy on the ground of it being a bit of a hike and we've been there before.

Took us ages to try and decide between the two groups of places but in the end the biking in Schladming and the beauty of Hallstatt swung it that way (Although we plan on doing the Innsbruck side later in the year anyway!).

So.... we arrive in Munich, drive to Bad Gastein for the wedding, spend a few days there, drive to St Johann, do the walk to the Liechtensteinklamm gorge, drive to Schladming for a couple of days (the intention here was to do some mountain biking, but my plaster casted wrist means that we're going to have to do some walking instead), drive to Hallstatt for a couple of days for some more walking. Back to Munich for a couple of days.

Cheers All for your help

Sarah
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
magic_hat, Sounds fabulous..... can I come? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I found Saalbach really nice for walking in the summer.
Drive to Krimml waterfall and if you can be bothered, from there over the pass to Gerlos and Mayrhofen - cracking drive, if a little scary at points Very Happy
The summer bobsleigh in Saalfelden is good and you can take in Maria Alm whilst there - stunning wee village
latest report
magic_hat, have fun. Let me know if you want any suggestions for walks etc in Bad Gastein.

Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy