Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My collision with a skier caught up close on GoPro

Poster: A snowHead
livetoski, You handled that well = skiing with due care and attention snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:
thought I could hear Weathercam shouting "stop" which would mean he was very much aware of what was happening (as opposed to being distracted?).

=Yes STOP was shouted at the "Cock" immediately before Weathercam, began the stationary 50 metre slide:

It's not unlike a motorist blasting their horn before driving into a tree. Not very effective though rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can understand the cock expletive in the adrenalin of the moment, in reply it comes across as arrogant though.

Both parties clearly contribute to the accident.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The suggestion that Weathercam was not looking around enough cannot be proven from the footage, as the camera was chest mounted. This just shows his chest was predominantly facing down the hill (old school? a bit - but just the way I like it !). His head and eyes may have been taking plenty on board though, and a helmet cam would have let us know that. Looks to me that the boarder really did come from a ridiculous stage position. This caused the accident more than any other factor (beginner or not). This is all in my beer enhanced opinion of course, but I forgive Weathercam for his use of language in this insidence - but it will be the last time Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beeryletcher, Laughing Laughing

emwmarine, I cant see how Weathercam "clearly" contributes to the accident? The other guy skis straight into him. I though Weathercam was shouting "Stop" where as he was actually shouting "cock"? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beeryletcher,
Quote:
Looks to me that the boarder really did come from a ridiculous stage position.
+
Quote:
This is all in my beer enhanced opinion of course

It was a skier, not a boarder Embarassed

Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:
I though Weathercam was shouting "Stop" where as he was actually shouting "cock"? Laughing

If he was using this as a mating call then maybe that's what attracted the skier into him! Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 8-04-12 14:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jivebaby,

ooops - my mistake - the use of the word COCK lead to the assumption ! I didn't look at the COCK too closely Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beeryletcher, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ho hum, sitting here in the Eurotunnel terminal having arrived hoping to get on an earlier train to get back to the Mother in Law and now well back into the land of hassle, as no early train to be had, so have to hang around for two hours, at least the wifi is free!

When I posted this I did say to the othe half that it "would get a few of them going" as has been the case Smile

Few points of clarification, which some of the more sensible posters have thought about!

The GoPro has a wide angle of 170 degrees, so could say maximum peripheral vision, unless you're a Cameleon lizard (least I think that's the one), plus as someone noted just because the camera picked the skier up did not mean I was looking that way, and as I could have still been looking to the left to see if the chair was open, don't exactly recall.

All I know was that suddenly this "person" was homing in on me, I could not believe it, and like walking down a pavement if I'd gone to the left he would have gone to the right etc. So I just braced myself and sort of dropped my left shoulder in defense, and he bounced off me.

Should also add for those that don't know I'm only six and a bit months post ACL op (wearing a brace) and have had as some have alluded to a wee bit of bad luck over the last few years, and I was not about to offer myselg
F up as some sacrificial git!

The main reason I was not taken out I presume was that I was almost stationary, and had adopted my defensive stance whilst at the same time indeed shouting "Cock" ------- !!

In fact must be my magnetic personality, a litle kid has just dropped a cup full of hot chocalat right next to me, all over my shoes, and you guessed it, I'm wearing crocs, think someones having a laugh!

It's so depressing being back in the land of people etc
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote

"The GoPro has a wide angle of 170 degrees, so could say maximum peripheral vision, unless you're a Cameleon lizard (least I think that's the one), plus as someone noted just because the camera picked the skier up did not mean I was looking that way,"

Agreed! I got side swiped by a little lad, the first I knew of it was the feeling of my skis being taken out from under me, my (helmet mounted) gopro footage suggests I should have seen him much earlier! clearly showing him losing it off a jump before impact! I fell directly over him but somehow managed to avoid squashing him!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cocks aside the snow looks fantastic - bet you are still dreaming of it
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, bloody hell, not your lucky day/week, is it Sad

I actually think the human missle was coming from above - the wide angle makes it look as if he was at the same level or slightly below. Plus the turn looks like they're crossing the fall line. An unlucky accident. But then I've only watched it twice and can't be bothered to watch it again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

and as I could have still been looking to the left to see if the chair was open

I tried to defend you and then you openly admit you weren't looking where you were going - unbelievable !!! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beeryletcher wrote:
Quote:

I tried to defend you and then you openly admit you weren't looking where you were going - unbelievable !!! Puzzled

If you have tunnel vision on where you are going you are simply not paying any attention to what is going on around you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There will always be collisions and accidents. Ultimately, if I am involved in a collision and end up with a season-ending injury, it simply doesn't matter who caused the accident. Whether they caused it or I caused it, the fact is that I am left with all of the pain and disappointment of the injury.

Therefore, if you want to protect yourself and reduce your odds of being involved in a collision ... quite simply, you must have absolute attention on what is going on around you. Sadly, not everybody else will be so careful. So, be cautious and never assume that people will follow the FIS guidelines. In fact I would say that it is safer to assume that they won't. People on holiday don't always have their usual wits about them. I think it's known as "Holiday Brain", isn't it?

In essence, ski defensively. Just like driving defensively.
ski holidays
Did the guy descend from somewhere off to the right (so was effectively above Mr Weathercam?). I can't see how Weathercam is to blame as he seems to be following the fall line and the other guy skis straight into him at speed.
latest report
davidof, I agree, in essence what I said above.
snow report
Weathercam, bro - that was me! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
In fact must be my magnetic personality, a litle kid has just dropped a cup full of hot chocalat right next to me, all over my shoes, and you guessed it, I'm wearing crocs, think someones having a laugh!

It's so depressing being back in the land of people etc

Do you not have GoPro evidence of this as well?

Did you call the kid a cock as well?

wink
ski holidays
beeryletcher wrote:
Quote:

no-one keeps their eyes 100% down the hill - that's not even safe.

Weathercam was obviously aware enough of the whole environment - hence realising someone was hurtling toward him - despite not looking in that direction at the time (he did turn towards the guy just before he smacked into him)
ski holidays
Weathercam, there's no excuse for wearing crocs wink
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Weathercam, there's no excuse for wearing crocs wink

Yes, he just lost all credibility with that!
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, anarchicsaltire, Hey, he's just a snappy dresser. wink
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott,

I never said 100% of the time should be looking down the hill, but the use of the word STILL in the quote below, implies a rather lingering look at a lift queue, rather than paying attention to what is actually happening on the piste. However, I wasn't being that serious (that's near impossible for a pisshead), as I still don't actually find Weathercam, at fault - just unfortunate.

Quote:

I could have still been looking to the left to see if the chair was open
ski holidays
beeryletcher, wouldnt you say skiing is like driving - you need to be aware of the whole environment - not just whats infront of you.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott,

Agreed entirely - but lingering looks at things like passing blondes cause car crashes !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy