Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please critique my skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Finally got round to taking the footage off the camcorder from our trip in January yesterday and would appreciate any comments or advice anyone could make on what I could improve on.

Apologies for the shaky camera on some of the footage.

Untitled from Olly Short
http://vimeo.com/39788094
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
o11y, looking good, you get any coaching from Del boy this trip?

Main thing I would like to see more of is extending off the up hill leg positively to start the turn and actively propel yourself down the hill. With a lack of edge engagement early the skis are a bit swishy from side to side.

also by not being on the outside ski positively you get hung up on the inner ski often and this shows mostly in the variables towards the end..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're a bit upright which is I think resulting in too much weight on the back of the ski. You can see the back of the ski start to skid round at the end of the turn as a result. Aim to get the upper body angled further forward than the lower leg.

I feel like your skis are both working through the turn (but hard to tell from a video) so I'd think about focusing on pressuring the outside ski only; more angulation can help with this but it's hard to introduce on its own by just thinking about it.

The turns feel a little snatched. Like you're doing straight lines between quite sharp turns. Be more patient with the turn; put it on an edge and apply pressure, then wait and resist rotating it. And allow the turn to complete under you so you're ready for the next one without rushing it.

In the bumpier snow you can see you sitting down to absorb the forces of the turn; I think it would be interesting for you try the opposite and really stand up and forward with all the pressure on the outside ski to drive the turn (but practice this on smoother snow).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A little back seat and a bit late in commiting to the new turn.

Perhaps get a little more assertiveness in the turns; firmer pole plants and planting them a bit further forward will help get you more forward and help you get onto the new turning ski sooner.

Caveat: I know nowt.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, Yes, we had a couple of lessons with Del. I believe, in the same week you did. He actually commented that you had made some big changes since last time he saw you. None of them good of course Smile

skimottaret, kieranm, Mosha Marc, Appreciate all your comments. Seem to be a general consnsus on commiting to the new turn earlier and more weight on the outside ski. I have found a few drills to get more weight on my outside ski but what about for starting the turn earlier?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I had a lesson the instructor told me to drive the downhill ski forward by imagining I was kicking a ball around a corner with it. Don't know if that will help, but that's what he told me - and it does help.

Looking good BTW
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
o11y wrote:
skimottaret, Yes, we had a couple of lessons with Del. I believe, in the same week you did. He actually commented that you had made some big changes since last time he saw you. None of them good of course Smile
Laughing

As skimottaret said, you get stuck in the inside leg some of the time, but you're getting much better lateral balance (you know we've been working on that with you at Hemel from time to time). In the variable snow you've dropped on to your heels a bit, so not getting as good a performance out of the ski as you could. The fix is the same as Scott mentioned in his post: a strong extension at the start of the turn to get you forward and across your new outside ski. That way you'll be centred and balanced on it from early in the turn.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
o11y, I am definitely sucking less than i use to NehNeh NehNeh (same for you mon ami Cool )
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hope you dont mind but here is a little before to go with your after..... (if you do mind i will take down) but it does show some very very big improvements well done...

https://vimeo.com/39831856
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
o11y, Alongside the other well informed comments I’d add - Your Right turns are better than your left ones - possibly due to a stronger left leg/being left handed maybe? Upper body is noticeably less flexible on alternate turns and your ankle lack angulation as a result of the upper body restriction.

You can perform mild ankle stretches whilst sitting down at a desk and for upper body, and then find a mattress/large cushion. Stand around 18” away from a strong wall and lean/fall in: Repeat and bounce wall + 500 a side:
http://youtube.com/v/sHXmn8O26Bg
latest report
 cran
cran
Quote:
I feel like your skis are both working through the turn (but hard to tell from a video) so I'd think about focusing on pressuring the outside ski only; more angulation can help with this but it's hard to introduce on its own by just thinking about it.

why would you want more weight on the outside ski rather than equal weight on both?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Seem to be a general consnsus on commiting to the new turn earlier and more weight on the outside ski. I have found a few drills to get more weight on my outside ski but what about for starting the turn earlier?

This one might help, the first drill you come to....

http://youtube.com/v/71ePCkvb9nQ&feature=plcp&context=C4d7b4efVDvjVQa1PpcFMK5OgYRdej_Spr8fFFk6aoYxsoWzPc6Cs%3D

I think the main things to be conscious of is to make sure the raised inside ski doesn’t creep (lead) too much ahead of outside ski and that you are lifting the tail only while keeping the tip in contact with the snow throughout the turn, it seems to promote early pressure on the new outside ski before entering the falline, it helps get you balanced solidly over your outside ski (lean in and you'll have to drop the inside ski or fall over Shocked ) it also appears to help find the centred balance on your skis to make "slow" steered rounded turns and if you swing the upper body- things start to get messy, feels great when you get it right, the better you get the earlier you can get onto the new outside ski.

Haven’t got the foggiest what it’s called Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher wrote:
Haven’t got the foggiest what it’s called Puzzled
We call them storks, but no idea if that's what they are widely known as. I'd guess that o11l has done those at Hemel with us. It's a great drill that tests lots of skills simultaneously.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To initiate the turn earlier I would recommend you try (i) put the ski on edge, (ii) pressure it, (iii) then wait and be patient. It is step (iii) that I think you're missing, and it gets replaced with swishing the back of the skis out (i.e. a rotation of the skis) to make the turn progress more quickly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, Thanks good name, now have a different image of it in my head! Laughing

Trying to do them on plastic is hilarious! Embarassed
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
hope you dont mind but here is a little before to go with your after..... (if you do mind i will take down) but it does show some very very big improvements well done...

https://vimeo.com/39831856

o11y. Big difference between the two - well done Cool Cool

I'd suggest working staying centred and balance (fore\aft). The lifting of the inside ski tip in the variables is the give away and you'll be able to feel for that. In the video's at least you are skiing a similar turn size in most of the shots. It would be useful (if you are not already) to play with different turn shapes and sizes / blends and the blend of grip / skid.
snow report
o11y, The rearward imbalace may prompt a visit to SpyderJon at http://www.skituning.co.uk/ Puzzled to check your binding position?
snow conditions
More flex at the ankle joint...
snow report
Quote:

The lifting of the inside ski tip in the variables is the give away and you'll be able to feel for that. In the video's at least you are skiing a similar turn size in most of the shots. It would be useful (if you are not already) to play with different turn shapes and sizes / blends and the blend of grip / skid.

yup

Quote:

More flex at the ankle joint...

nope (there is plenty)
latest report
Hey o11y, with all the sound advice above taken into account you basically have good technique (bend ze knees!) but you seem to be a piste skier rocking twin-tips? A more square-tailed, flatter piste ski would cut out a lot of your smear in the turns.

Appropriate tool for the conditions and all that. wink
snow report
o11y, Hi O11y,
Just had a look at you vid.
Quote:

Finally got round to taking the footage off the camcorder from our trip in January yesterday and would appreciate any comments or advice anyone could make on what I could improve on.

First thing if you want to improve your skiing is to have an objective. If we know what your objective and goals are we can then give advice. Giving feedback on how to improve your skiing from watching the video would be purely subjective and based on a pre-defined technical model. Should this technical model be based on an extreme 'freeride' skier, a 'racer', an 'instructor'? An instructor from Canada, America, the UK, France, Italy or Austria?

Also advice would solely be based on 'technical' advice which in all-mountain skiing only relates to about 25% of performance the other 75% coming from tactical, physical and psychological skills. 25% being if we treat all four 'performance threads (as we call them) equally.

Begin with an objective. What would you like to be able to do? Ski faster, slower, carve more, ski steeper terrain, couloirs, ice, slush, bumps, deep powder? Ski like someone - a racer, a freerider, an instructor? Would you like to race, jump, go in the snowpark. Once we know your objectives then we can begin to give accurate advice.

Learning best comes when it is directed by the learner themselves. Give me your goals and I will give you some advice on how to improve.
Cheers,
Phil
latest report
philsmithski, welcome to snowHead Phil glad to see you here and looking forward to reading future contributions...
latest report
can I just say - you look great! Very Happy ok, I'm an early intermediate, but I would love to be skiing as good as you - I am really surprised at the amount of good advice you are getting, its all about fine tuning I guess, for me that's probably a long way away - I need to loosen up more and let the skis do the work - might treat myself to some lessons next year
snow conditions
philsmithski, welcome to snowHeads! Insofar as I can speak for others (which actually isn't at all) we're honoured to have you around. Very Happy
ski holidays
philsmithski, welcome Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philsmithski, Wellcome to Snowheads snowHead Looking forward to your input in BzK Very Happy
latest report
Apologies been away at the weekend, but appreciate everyones comments.

Jivebaby, Correct on the left handed but am right footed so you would think my stronger turn would be my right. As much as i would love to blame equipment I do not think i am good enough to do that yet.

oz5000, Completely agree. I was doing an off piste week hence the twin tips (prophet 100's).

philsmithski, Welcome and what you say makes a lot of sense. I do not have a specific objective but am the cliche skier whow wants to improve my technique to be able to ski everywhere.
snow conditions
Try out a gizmo that I have found to be nothing short of AMAZING. It is called the SKIA Sweetspot Trainer. It gets you balanced and makes the biggest difference to your skiing. Use it and re-video!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
o11y, first of all, what huge improvements. You should be very proud of that.

skimottaret +1 with the addition that...

You really need to do some work on your pole plant as it's currently weak, ineffectual and generally late. In the first run you can see you either just tapping the tip of the pole on the snow or you planting the pole; leaving the hand where it is and skiing past it. The combine effect of which will be to push your CoM mass back from where it should be.

Pole plants are important in short turns because, properly done, they provide a "turning moment" - i.e. blocking rotation one way and helping you change the rotation to the other direction.

The person I train with most often uses the phrase "Dwarf pole planting - stab 'em in the toe; punch 'em in the face". It's not very politically correct, but good imagery.

None of which should detract from the huge improvement in skiing performance that you've made.
ski holidays
o11y wrote:

philsmithski, Welcome and what you say makes a lot of sense. I do not have a specific objective but am the cliche skier whow wants to improve my technique to be able to ski everywhere.

So to put words in your mouth Wink , your objective is to be a better 'all mountain skier', capabable of skiing variable conditions and changing steepness??

+1 on the pole plants, did you ski any steeper stuff?
snow report
not read other posts but back seat is your biggest issue, you cant do nothing from that position, your tips aint engaging, you can see all the snow is coming off the back of the ski during your turn and none from the front, your pushing your heels out to change direction and not carving on your edges.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy