Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freestyle camps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All,

I was thinking that before I am too old and scared, I would like to learn some basic freestyle technique and get some experience (i.e. tuition, rather than head to the park and hope for the best).

Then I noticed this summertime British Free SKi Camps. Attending would mean that a) I can avoid a boring summer beach holiday (this is a glacier in Switzerland, in July!), and b) I could hopefully start next season with some basic knowledge and experience.

Anyone know anything about them, or indeed have alternative suggestions (in Europe - there's a great one in Copper, USA, but it's a long way to go)?

www.britishfreeskicamps.com
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a "freestyle camp" organised by New Gen in Courchevel about this time last year, it was basically just five 3-hour lessons for £150 which seemed pretty good value. I was already out there for the season so didn't need travel/accomodation.

I found the most useful part was that it made me do things that I would probably never have attempted on my own.

I didn't really learn much from the course though. I went from having no freestyle experience (but being a good skier) to managing a normal and switch 180 off a small kicker, small grabs, and basic slides on the box. Tried a 360 but fell over and didn't try again. It's all surprisingly difficult!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Harry Flashman, it's a bit of an aside, but why not have a look at the 1 or 2 day 'camps' hosted at the indoor snowdomes. Several companies run them. Maverix and Definition Camps are the 2 that jump to mind, both have really good reputations. I did the 2 day Definition snowboarding one at HH a couple of years ago, it was great, plus it gives you a bit of a reason to go to the fridges other than a 15 second run down the piste... It'd give you a taster of a full week camp, plus maybe move you out of the absolute beginners group if you do decide to go do a full camp in the summer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Harry Flashman, if you are close to Hemel Hempstead on Friday 6th April SCUK are putting on a all day beginner orientated freestyle session at Hemel Hempstead with coaching from Definition and Maverix (at an additional cost of £5 per hour coaching session). Although it mostly snowboarding there are 2 coaching sessions offered by Definition for skiers - one for kickers in the morning (9:30am-10:30am) and one for boxes in the afternoon (3.15pm-4.15pm). It could be a good introduction to freestyle. See here: http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/springbash

I am thinking about going myself.

One little tip: don't ever be worried or feel silly about falling over. Everybody falls sometimes and it is just part of the learning process.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guys, thanks for the tips, and a fridge session sounds like a great plan - was going to spend a few weekends at one anyway to deal with the cravings!

Summer bootcamp near a glacier made sense as I'd like to ski in the summer, I'm guessing ski areas will be fairly limited, so learning some basic freestyle would add another dimension!

Definitely will get to a session at HH. Sadly busy for the 6th April session, or I'd be there!

Thanks again, all - hadn't thought of doing a freestyle course in an indoor slope...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hemel do freestyle most Thursday and Friday evenings. Thursday normally more of a beginners night I think
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Salomon Grom Camps are also pretty good and worth considering - there are dates and locations on their website http://www.salomongromcamps.co.uk/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harry Flashman, British Freeski camps are run by Pat Sharples and the same crew that run the Grom Camps. The atmosphere in the village is great during the camps and you will learn more than you can shake a stick at doing them.

Mornings are spent on the hill and afternoons on the trampoline!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy