Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Proud Father Moment

Poster: A snowHead
My little 5 year old passed his 3 star test today. This season he has done 1, 2 and 3 star. The tests are meant to be done on Friday, but as we leave tommorrow the instructor tested him early. Sorry, will get back in my box now!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chattonmill, wow! Thats fantastic! Well done him!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chattonmill, very cool. good on him. Who were his lessons with?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had better whisper this shoogly, ESF Shocked

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-04-12 17:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chattonmill, fantastic - and in such grotty weather too. Well done to him.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well done!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chattonmill, well done to the little fella Very Happy Impressive air too Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chattonmill, good for him! A proud moment well documented for you too snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chattonmill wrote:
I had better whisper this shoogly, ESF Shocked

More praise for ESF on snowHead I am getting rather worried that we might be getting a good reputation wink

p.s well done to your son. Bronze star next year Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chattonmill, well done for the youngster, but please get him to sit back less on jumps or one day he'll land on the back of his head
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, He's 5! Have you ever tried to tell a 5 year old what to do!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chattonmill, Congrats to him and you but let me know where he's skiing in future so's I can avoid the little blighter wink Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chattonmill wrote:
Have you ever tried to tell a 5 year old what to do!

Is he not telling you what you are doing wrong yet Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward, Closer than you think, I led him down the Yeti & Myrtille in Les Gets, in turn he led his mother.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chattonmill, that's why I said try, I have my doubts over your chances of success, at least at that age they tend to bounce and I note he has a helmet so chances are once it happens to him it will only be a headache rather than leaving blood and hair on the piste, in many ways I was lucky, I was brought up in th edays when as children we actually listened to adults plus I had a couple of really great ski teachers at that age who seemed to get along really well with kids, of course the fact that they always had sweets in their pockets as rewards or simply to cheer us up on a cold day probably worked wonders as well, I dare say these days that probably doesn't happen either, not all "progress" is good it seems Sad
ski holidays
D G Orf, what a ray of sunshine you are Shocked
ski holidays
D G Orf, my daughters instructor in Norway would take her into the lifties hut to drink hot choc! In Les Arcs in Feb my youngest also was given treats Smile

From watching very young kids on the slope they all seem to sit too far back - and their snow ploughs are at painful looking angles; but for the most part they seem happy and capable.
snow report
Grab not very steezy - must try harder! wink

I hate kids - they're all so damn good.
snow conditions
Kids 'sit back' and have massive ploughs partly because they have a high centre of gravity (their head (which a helmet makes higher)) that needs supporting. They also have not developed enough muscle strength in their legs to absorb the forces generated in skiing and also do not get lactic acid until they are much older so can maintain a 'painful' looking position for hours on end. As they get older the muscles in their legs will be used more to steady them over the centre of their skis.... in short don't worry about kids leaning back too much until they get closer to 10yrs old!

I reward kids with high-5 and 'treats' of skiing piste 'x' or doing game 'y'.... seems to work pretty well, cheaper and stops any hyper activity effect from the sweets potentially. Not as tasty though!
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
Kids 'sit back' ...!

to be fair the young man is also coming off a bump. It is amazing the amount of vert they can do in what looks like, to us, a very tiring position.

1-3 is a big jump this year, basically from snow plow to proper parallel turns, bronze and gold shouldn't be a problem next year, basically carved short and long radius turns. Then the fleche, wheeehee.
snow report
Chattonmill, wow - well done to your son! Very justified proud father moment Very Happy
ski holidays
Chattonmill wrote:
D G Orf, He's 5! Have you ever tried to tell a 5 year old what to do!

Yes - and effectively. As happened to me when I was five. No longer so?

Nice photo.
ski holidays
Chattonmill, Love the photo - says it all! And well done to the little ankle biter.... annoyingly good already! wink
snow report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
annoyingly good already! wink

+1

The mini Chattonmill can clearly take instruction from adults given the amazing progression he has made this season.

Apparently in the good old days, the kids round here at ski club had prickly pine branches put down the back of their boots to stop them sitting back Shocked I think I prefer the hot chocolate and cake incentives that were being dished out to our little guests this season Laughing
latest report
D G Orf,

All the instructors in Austria still come equipped with industrial packets of Haribo.

I wish Junior would get on with his skiing a bit more, but he always seems to be hanging about at the back of the class talking to the girls. Must get it from his mother
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Chattonmill nice! But watch out he will be overtaking you pretty soon this rate!

Steve Angus wrote:
Kids 'sit back'...partly because they have a high centre of gravity

Really? Do kids walk or run back seat because they have a high centre of gravity? I have always thought that if you can stand up and walk then you can ski out of the backseat with your legs supporting you.

I am not an instructor but don't kids tend to ski sitting back because they are more interested in having fun than doing it 'properly'?
snow conditions
If he's done 1, 2 and three star then he's got to be listening! Very Happy
snow conditions
Go Ed! I expect to see him on the Les Crosets park wink next season
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Angus wrote:

I reward kids with high-5 and 'treats' of skiing piste 'x' or doing game 'y'.... seems to work pretty well, cheaper and stops any hyper activity effect from the sweets potentially. Not as tasty though!

I am never having a lesson with this man ...the old meanie. wink
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
Chattonmill, well done for the youngster, but please get him to sit back less on jumps or one day he'll land on the back of his head

what a twaty statement!

ATTENTION CYBER-SKIER ALERT ATTENTION......STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYPAD Shocked
snow conditions
Morrissey, pity to drag down this thread with a rather over-abusive post. And I've skied with D G Orf as have other snowheads - he's no 'cyber skier'.
snow conditions
achilles, maybe Morrissey found the posts to be twaty and is speaking his mind - just as D G Orf spoke his?
snow report
Free speach on th internet??? Careful now; Dave doesn't approve of that sort of thing.
ski holidays
Morrissey, I've been skiing for 40 years, so why be insulting to people ? Chattonmill's , son has done really well to get as far as he has done, but if he keeps leaning back that far when he jumps he will get hurt, it was a bit of friendly advice I gave nothing more, it comes from having seen more than one person leave hair and blood on a piste after landing and falling after a jump because they were sitting back on the skis. If instructors are good (as mine were) they find ways of teaching young children that are safe and fun and enjoyable for the kids, I seem to recall being taught in ski school to lean forward by a process which involved holding my ski sticks between my hands whilst stretching my arms forward and then taking a series of mini jumps one after the other, it was done at slow speed on a gentle slope but it worked, if you sat back you'd probably manage the first jump, might manage the second but there's no way you'd manage the third in a row. Because we were all young and low to the ground it didn't hurt much when we fell we just laughed got up and did it again, but it does teach you to lean forward when skiing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy