Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I have finally worked out why people go skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
I have just returned from my 4th week of skiing and I think I have finally worked out why it's so popular. It's fun.

Admittedly I don't have much technique to speak of (as you can see from my video), but last week I was finally able to get around the resort without too much fear and I have started to enjoy it.

Can’t wait for next season.

Don't laugh too much; it's only my 4th week.
Do you think I will be ready for the next Olympics though?

http://youtube.com/v/ulDvLDd0KAQ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs_W, I know very little about technique but would observe the following:
Relax a bit more especially upper body
Work on that pole plant (will help relax the upper body)
Flex more at the ankles (will help get your weight further forward)

I think it great that you are skiing terrain and doing other stuff that will really help your balance and technique.
You seem to be able to turn on a sixpence without even trying or having much weight forward.
You seem to be having loads of fun (the most important)

For some reason I really enjoyed watching that video, thanks for posting and happy skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs_W wrote:
I have just returned from my 4th week of skiing and I think I have finally worked out why it's so popular. It's fun.

Ssssh! Don't tell everyone, the secret will get out. Welcome your bank account to a world of pain.

BTW that's really quite impressive for a 4th week skier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not bad at all for 4 weeks of skiing, you're having fun and that's the main thing.

I do however have big criticism - first swig beer then bite cake wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
BTW that's really quite impressive for a 4th week skier.
Indeed, good work! The great thing is that as you keep getting better you find it's even more fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

For some reason I really enjoyed watching that video, thanks for posting and happy skiing.

A rare thing, an entertaining ski video.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seriously good skiing for a 4-weeker. You also clearly have got balls! Puzzled

My tip for you - positionally try to "screw not poo" ie your bottom is at times a bit stuck out behind.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does look like you're having a lot of fun!

I agree with others - very good progress for an adult learner. You're skiing a lot like my son did aged 8 after 4 weeks. That's not meant to be backhanded - kids learn very quickly if they are reasonably athletic and are having fun, in large part because they just go for it. Not many adults manage the same thing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tiffin wrote:
Quote:

A rare thing, an entertaining ski video.

+1 for what they said.

Brilliant video, loved it. 4th week???!! Blimey, you are doing really well! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks good for a 4-weeker. Good thing is you are not scared: that speeds up the learning curve tremendously. Be careful with going off piste without avi safety equipment though!

For the rest: try to make yourself a bit thinner, then the skiing will look even better! (as in do not stick out your arms and legs to the side..)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Not bad at all for 4 weeks of skiing, you're having fun and that's the main thing.

I do however have big criticism - first swig beer then bite cake wink

My thoughts exactly Laughing

In fact, just drop the cake altogether...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiester wrote:
For the rest: try to make yourself a bit thinner, then the skiing will look even better! (as in do not stick out your arms and legs to the side..)
Really Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chasseur, Drop the cake? Shocked Shocked Wash your mouth out with beer young man!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bootsie Babe, Laughing I will take myself off now and follow that advice to the letter - thank you Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chasseur,

Are they open yet? I'm dying of thirst here.
snow report
Four....chuffing....weeks....

Laughing
ski holidays
Enjoying it is the main thing, and you've got that sorted. What kept you coming back for week's 2 and 3 though if you've only just realised it's fun?!

I too enjoyed the video, but odd choice of music. How did you manage to reserve the whole resort for yourself?

Do you want tips to improve your skiing? If so, then the one thing you should focus on is your posture. Take a look at the video when you're skiing past the camera and pause it. You'll see that your weight is all behind your boots. It's like trying to turn a bike when you're doing a wheelie - there's no pressure on the front and so it will be harder to turn. Try taking your posture as it is now, stand up a bit and pull your hips forward (to avoid sticking your bum out) and then keeping everything else still bend forward at the ankles. It will feel odd at first, so try it on gentle and easy terrain until you get used to it.

For four weeks of skiing though you're doing really well. Posture like yours is a common problem, so work on that and you'll improve very quickly.
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Brilliant video, loved it. 4th week???!! Blimey, you are doing really well! Very Happy

Thank you. Although I do know that it helps to have a full time private ski instructor though. He HAS to teach me, or he will get a good bashing, LOL.

Freddie Paellahead wrote:
You also clearly have got balls! Puzzled

Thank you
I think ?
I made that video last night as my 2 sisters are coming round tonight and they have never been skiing, so I said I would show them what it's like. They said they are both going to come skiing next year and bring their kids. So it should be a fun time. When I am on really easy runs my technique is much better but M_W says that rather learning ski on piste, or moguls, or off piste, or steep, etc. it's better to just ski the whole area and so you get (eventually) a better all round ability. So that's what I'm doing. It is a little scary sometimes though.

skiester wrote:
Be careful with going off piste without avi safety equipment though!

I agree, we went on a half day excursion to somewhere (I forget the name of it) and we had this bleeper thingy under our jackets and each had a rucksack with a spade and a long collapsible pole. The rucksack had a handle that if you pull it then it's a bit like a car airbag and big bags will come out of the side. I was REALLY wanting to try it in the cafe.
We spent quite some time practicing to find a small bag under the snow with the bleeper and the pole, before we set off.
snow report
Quote:

I too enjoyed the video, but odd choice of music.

I was half expecting a tragic ending:
http://youtube.com/v/Ue8VS-bcj88#t=110s
snow conditions
kieranm wrote:
If so, then the one thing you should focus on is your posture.

I agree with you. I keep saying that when I look a video of me but M_W says not to worry about it and everything will come along eventually. But I want to be dead good "now" Very Happy
snow conditions
am I the only one who found the muffin-eating scene strangely erotic? Embarassed
ski holidays
kieranm wrote:
odd choice of music.

Sorry but that is the only private music I have on the computer and I'm not sure how to get more. I tried to have a tune from my IPhone but it kept saying "format not recognised" when I tried to use it with Windows, so I could only use some Barber.

I met Graham who runs this forum once so next time I will ask him how to do it as he must know all about computers.
ski holidays
Mrs_W, Nice fun happy video, just keep doing what you're doing, have fun with it, great foundations to build upon, the title says it all! Very Happy
ski holidays
red 27,

It's always nice to see a pretty girl eating enthusiastically, especially where there is beer involved Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
red 27 wrote:
am I the only one who found the muffin-eating scene strangely erotic? Embarassed

I always find muffin-eating erotic. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB, Laughing NehNeh
latest report
Quote:

Sorry but that is the only private music I have on the computer

No apology necessary, it's great music! I just imagine that scene from Platoon every time I hear it Happy
ski holidays
*mental note - eat more muffins

Looks like you're having great fun - and making it look easy! You're doing really well for only four week's skiing, I'm pretty sure I wasn't attempting steep off-piste moguls as soon as that.

I really enjoyed the video, really shows what it's all about.

My tip would be "push the bush" - and yes it does mean what you think it does.

BTW is "Staring Nikki" your nick name?

wink wink wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sickeningly good for 4 weeks, great lack of fear. Well done for having the guts to post the vid.
snow conditions
^^ here here / hear hear / hear here
snow report
Try eating with your mouth closed

Gets coat and naffs off
ski holidays
Mrs_W, I am afraid I am going to call "spoof".

Either your instructor is truly excellent, or you have skied rather more than 4 weeks. I am afraid that even the way you carry your skis, put them in the snow and walk in ski boots rather indicates considerable experience.

Or both you and your teacher are excellent.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Mrs_W, I am afraid I am going to call "spoof".

Either your instructor is truly excellent, or you have skied rather more than 4 weeks. I am afraid that even the way you carry your skis, put them in the snow and walk in ski boots rather indicates considerable experience.

Or both you and your teacher are excellent.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I think she's clearly good at sport in general and has adapted superbly to skiing. Things in her favour are her obvious fitness, good morphology and youth. Clearly she has had some excellent instruction.

Some people are born to ski and she's one of them.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
red 27 wrote:

I always find muffin-eating erotic. Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/lMwMKJhaf7A
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I am afraid I am going to call "spoof".

Sorry if I have upset you in some way. I don't what "spoof" means and you'll note that all the falling over and really bad technique, and anything else that makes skiing look difficult, has been omitted. The real reason for the video is to show to my sisters.

As anyone from the SH ESOB (my 2nd week of skiing) last year will remember, well those that skied with us anyway, last year I could "get down", sort of, some small moguls and I was not too bad at, slightly, off piste, but my on piste skiing was a little strange. LoL. Since then I have skied for another 2 weeks, this year. OK I know my posture is all wrong, and I lean back and don't use my poles correctly, but to me skiing is simply fun. Well it was this time. My previous attempts were very scary.

I have just asked Mr_W about this and he says that my piste skiing is not at the standard it would be if I had simply had a month of private lessons on piste. Fair enough. But he also says that my moguls and off piste are much better that they would normally be, the reason being is that from day one (I remember it well Happy I have been going on moguls and off piste.

I imagine running the odd marathon or twenty means that I have the fitness for most sports and living with a skiing instructor does help, a little, with skiing.

Back on the point, I really don't know why I didn't try skiing earlier, it is so much fun.

PJSki wrote:
youth.

??
All I'll say on that point is that I look younger than I really am and so does Mr_W.
snow conditions
Mrs_W, I think you will find he was joking wink

Great vid, you are doing brilliant for just 4 weeks!!! What I love is that you are trying a bit of everything, off piste, moguls, was there a half pipe in there too? Shocked Fantastic stuff, I guess you are officially addicted now, huh?

I married my ski instructor too Cool
snow report
Mrs_W wrote:

PJSki wrote:
youth.

??
All I'll say on that point is that I look younger than I really am and so does Mr_W.

Noted.
snow conditions
Mrs_W, I was at worst tongue in cheek.

You and Mr W clearly then are excellent. He has even taught you ti carry your skis properly. I am seriously, properly impressed! snowHead
snow conditions
kooky wrote:
you are doing brilliant for just 4 weeks

Not really, but it's fun learning.

I have no pride about my skiing, here is just one of the out takes LoL

http://youtube.com/v/pEd9bUKXebg

kooky wrote:
was there a half pipe in there too?

No, I have never done anything like that. The jumps (about three inches high) on the video were the first ones I have done
ski holidays
it is possible guys: I went skiing with a bloke once who was on the wrong side of 30 and on his 3rd day he could get down the reds without too much trouble. Even without pro lessons. He had a similar technique though...

Has all to do with being flex, balanced, no fear of speed and short, easy curvy skis. And having ski talent of course.

The hard part is yet to come: not to get down everything, but to get down with style, and especially for late learners that is very very difficult. But doable if you put in the effort.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy