Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

speed skiing slopes?

cran
cran
I don't want to ski too fast on public pistes, but would like to have a go at speed skiing.

Do they have any designated speed ski slopes in the French Alps where you can safely (at least with no danger to anyone else) straight line down the mountain?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cran, there is one in Les Arcs but I'm not sure it is open to the general public. Some sH will know ... Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 3-04-12 8:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think the Les Arcs one has been open to the public for a few years. There were a couple of fatalities (of speed skiing competitors, including Caitlin Tovar the British speed skier) in 2006 and 2007, and I don't think they have prepared the speed skiing track since then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cran, I've done it in Les Arcs, but many years ago. Hired DH skis & DH Suit & Helmet. KL stuff wasn't available. Very top wasn't available, but it was still plenty fast enough for me, hit 86 mph.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, There were a few people using it whilst we were there in feb half term. A couple of regular appt. owners on my lift were talking about having a go later.
Although, and I did look, I could find no info on 'experience runs' for joe public. But the speed course was all very nicely pisted and marked, there was definitely a bloke running a ski-doo uplift with half a dozen people skiing it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ricfrench, did they have a timing circuit available? The times I've seen it being used, always late season, the full timing gear has been available and the course was fenced off including a zone at the bottom to keep other skiers away from those people using the course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, What I could see from the lift was a well maked and smoothly pisted course with a small shed at the bottom, which was where everyone was waiting for uplift following a run, I didn't notice/couldn't see any timing or speed check gear. Skiers were being towed up two at a time, just got themselves lined up and went for it, it all seemed too relaxed for any sort of comp. suppose they could have been practice runs. They looked like they were running from 3/4s to 2/3rds of the way up.
What ever gradient is that, the ski-doo was struggling towards the drop off point!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ricfrench, yeah, that slope is pretty steep at the top. The speeds that the speed skiers get up to are a bit mind-bending!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ricfrench wrote:
What ever gradient is that, the ski-doo was struggling towards the drop off point!!

We were watching a basher preparing the course last week for the world record attempt and the basher was secured in a metal chain all the way from the top by Varet is was so steep.

Posted this on the Les Arcs thread.

Quote:
For those out in Les Arcs over Easter keep an eye out for a world record speed attempt on the flying K above Arc 2000 on a mountian bike, aiming to beat over 210kph

http://www.lesarcs.com/record-de-vitesse

It will attempted between 7am-9am on 10,11, 12th April, weather dependent. The exact time will be notified on the Les Arcs Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/lesarcs

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
ricfrench, yeah, that slope is pretty steep at the top. The speeds that the speed skiers get up to are a bit mind-bending!

Isn't the record on the flying K over 250kph? Shocked Skullie

http://youtube.com/v/vBxvGdMjZmE
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
List of speed tracks.

http://www.kl-france.com/modules/edito/content.php?id=3
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saw Simone Origone practicing at Champoluc one early morning in January this year - complete with full red latex gear. Simone is a ski instructor in Champoluc - and holds the world speed record of 251.4 KPH. Oh - and he has won the world championships 7 times. Nice guy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They've added a steep ramp to the top of the course in Verbier off mont fort this year, looks like it's around the 50 degree mark. I think they want to try and get the world record in the competition at the end of this month/ early april.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
France is not the only place that has a speed run see here http://www.fis-ski.com/pdf/2012/SS/8601/2012SS8601PROG.pdf
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Clusaz has, had a nice track
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I traversed in to the top of the run in La Plagne about 15 years ago. So steep I just traversed back out again but a few mad types had a go on normal recreational gear.

We were in Verbier during the Swiss National Championsihips a couple of years ago. Really good vibe with a bunch of skiers sitting on the Col des Gentianes at the homemade bar giving high fives to anyone who topped 200kph. Talk about mad! The run out from Mont Fort to that drag lift back to the cable car is steep enough!

250kph. Isn't that the speed that most car manufacturers limit their cars to?
snow conditions
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/Flying_K_run.MPG

Stood watching the Flying K
snow report
Scarpa, Jez, blinked and I missed him Shocked Skullie Shocked Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy