Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rest day?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I consider myself fit, I will never take a rest day, and on 6 day trip will ski to last lift every day
I definitely try to get bang for my buck as it were and will paln exactly where I go to avoid slow lifts and queues, so I am spending the max amount of time skiing

But I know that after d3 or definitely d4, it is building up in my legs, I make some mistakes in technique. In fact my challenge used to be always go down every run without stopping, and time myself. But recently I have moved towards taking breaks on blacks or tough reds (and definitely powder) because I know my technique begins to go when lactic acid builds, and it will be better for me in long run to stop, collect myself, then restart concentrating on technique. My legs are strong enough I can get down any of the mogul runs in les arcs without stopping, but what good is that if I haven't executed good technique. Just like day after a 10mile run, a 3mile run is a struggle.

Elite professional athletes are slowing down continuously in the latter half of a 200m, despite their extraordinary fitness. Professional rugby players don't practice real scrums in training in the days before a big match, it takes their legs days to recover.. Everyone's performance will dip within a day or two of skiing hard, and will respond well to rest.

So if you want to improve your techniqie and performance, pacing yourself and/or rest will certainly help. Prob is, if u just have one week, u will understandably want to ski as much as possible
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am in Val Cenis at the moment, and read this post yesterday, snorting with derision at the kind of person who would have a day off. Guess what I did today ? In my defense a heavy week long cold has caught up with me, the kids are exhausted, there`s low cloud and rain; better get off my behind tomorrow !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cstreat, very sensible - anyone who says 'never' is unwise
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a 6 day trip we ski every day especially if you have paid for the ski pass for all days. At present we are touring France/Switzerland for 2 weeks and doing 3 days ski then 1 day of travel to another area so not buying a pass. With current conditions being quite hard first thing then very soft in the afternoon and doing 60-70 km a day a rest day is allowing us to enjoy the days we ski without getting tired. This is also our 6th week of the season but if you only have 1 or 2 weeks I can't understand people missing some days.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
I'm usually done after about 3 hours and I have to take rest days at weekends due to working so it's not even 3 hours every day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Generalist,

I'm not as fit as you and I've done 10k vertical per day offpiste for three days (heli). Was pretty bushed after that but still managed to ski a "light" day.
Broadly though, I think you make a fair point - if you go at it as hard as you can for three days then a rest may be in order but it does beg the question - why not relax a bit and not take the rest day? I'm at the point when I ski to the conditions - full on powder day and I'll ski as hard as possible, when the conditions are less brilliant then lunch will lengthen and I may be in the bar a little earlier. I've genuinely never taken a rest day in 30 years of skiing. Actually when I worked a season I was able to ski 5 half days and 1 full day a week. I did miss two half days in 4.5 months.

J
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW - I'm not sure comparisons with elite atheletes are particularly relevant for people who get to ski a couple of weeks a year...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And I guess a combination of physiology and technique matters as much as general fitness. I'm built for stamina rather than speed, naturally have disproportionately muscular thighs and have a pretty efficient technique - all that probably matters more than CV capacity.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is a rest day: it can also be a light skiing day with a sleep in, a longer lunch and slower skiing. It is better to listen to your body and call it the day in time, then you certainly never need a full rest (no ski) day. Imagine you pick Wednesday as rest day, and Tuesday and Thursday will be white outs? That would suck!

For me even with a low fysical fitness (right after I got the cast from my broken leg) I skied every day. But sometimes would quit earlier then usual.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In January I did have a rest day after 17 days of consecutive powder days.
Listen to your body,a day off or an easy day will recharge you but it'd never want to schedule a rest day for a 1 week trip. The office is for resting.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from a trip were 21 days skiing was possible. I took 2 rest days, one the day before a heli skiing days.

Dad took one rest day, two members of the group took 3/4 days.

On a 6 day trip I would never dream of it but it is a Ski HOLIDAY! So diffrent horses for courses!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy