Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rest day?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going on my first ever ski holiday this Sunday and the group I'm going with intend to have a rest day. I can't get my head round having a rest day when I've only got 6 days to ski, it just seems such a waste.

I'm reasonably fit from cycling and running and have spent a lot of time practicing at Chill Factore, so I'm thinking of ditching the rest day. Is having a rest day normal practice on a week long trip or are they being a bit precious? I suppose it depends on how the individual feels at the time, but they were insisting that a rest day is absolutely standard practice and that I'd be made not to have one.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im with you I think its stupid to have a rest day.

What I normally do have though is a lighter day sometime midweek. Normally get up a little later, have a longer lunch etc. But to take the whole day off seems a waste to me!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Standard practice for them, perhaps... I've had them and they can be a nice change if you're staying in a interesting enough resort. If you're fit, you certainly don't need one. If tired, you always have the options of getting out of bed and hitting the slopes a bit later or heading back to the village a bit earlier. Perhaps a lazy, long lunch...

In short: do what you feel like doing and not what someone says you should be feeling like doing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never heard of anyone doing it on a holiday trip. Shocked

If it's your first trip you could just go and have a lesson on your own if you wanted.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
justatheory, Never had a rest day.
As above maybe take one day a bit lighter but still on the mountain.

Did 9 day trip last year and 8 day trip this year and it never crossed my mind to have a rest day. I could probably continue for another 10 days Wink

I guess it depends how really you are into skiing but for me every day is precious as we only get a one trip per year recently.

Fitness wise not a problem, I would consider us on lower end of term "reasonably fit" and could ski all day from 9 till 4
(have to admit rather slowish speed etc but still manage 25-35km per day).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 2-04-12 11:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
See how you feel, your legs might be killing you. I would not waste a day myself but have been know to have a late lunch then call it a day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your fit, I can't see the point in a day off during a 6-day holiday. On longer holidays, it can be nice to let the legs recharge. Not 'essential' though.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 2-04-12 12:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like a waste. I maybe have one day where I have a bit of a lie in, don't ski too hard, have a nice lunch etc. (normally coincides with the day I have a massive hangover...)

Definitely wouldn't have a day where I didn't get up the mountain though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fairly pointless on a 6 dya holiday if you're a keen skier although bear in mind the fact that it's a holiday and I can see why people might take them. I did 14 days back to back recently and admit to sacking off early one day to go to a hot springs as the conditions and cumulative fatigue certainly weren't improving the ski experience so at 10 days plus a rest day can definitely enhance the overall experience. In the context of longer stays or seasonnaires it's almost madness not to take rest days to prevent niggling injuries becoming more serious and potentially season stoppers although in practice I've seen many seasonnaires take this to extremes and regularly call it a day after a couple of runs or fail to get out at all if conditions are in any way sub optimal.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with Fatbob. I had a rest day on my two week holiday this year, felt completely refreshed the next day. It also meant i got to spend some 'quality time' with the O/H Laughing On a six day jaunt it's first to last lift every day, with only a short lunch if at all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I have a 6 day pass (or 7 or 8 ), there's no way I'd be wasting a day of it. And I wouldn't be getting a "non-consecutive days" pass either (although I might do if it were 10+ days in the same area).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same for me - never have a 'rest day' but sometimes have a late start or a long late lunch and then an early finish if I'm not feeling it. Just see how it goes - one day you might be desperate for an early finish and on the scheduled 'rest day' you might be raring to go so it doesn't make sense to plan ahead.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justatheory, If you are going on your first ever ski holiday, I'd expect you to be having ski lessons. They don't have a rest day in their plans.
The 'light weights' that are suggesting a rest day are the mad ones. Barring injury or infirmity at the very worst you need to do is pace yourself! Long lazy lunches work for me but then I do have arthritus and I am officially decrepit!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've taken a day out to do other things on longer trips, but never burned a lift-pass day.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I've taken a day out to do other things on longer trips, but never burned a lift-pass day.

Yeah that's another thing, lift passes are expensive and a day where you don't use it feels like throwing money away.
snow report
I had a sightseeing day on a 10-day holiday in Canada, but would never do that on a 6-day one! Imagine wandering round the resort or going swimming or something when you could be skiing. WTF?
snow conditions
Go with the flow, see what the weather and snow is like...do your mates ski so hard that they need a rest day or do they have an interesting trip in mind? If you feel tired just take it a bit easier on day 3... but it's not really normal practice in my book. My parents took a rest day last year though. They are 78 and 79.....!
snow conditions
I too wouldn't want a complete rest day in a 6-day holiday, but would definitely consider it over two weeks.

I'm also quite a big fan of doing a day of cross-country to break it up and use some different muscles. This last holiday I even tried boarding for a day Shock
ski holidays
By a rest day, maybe they mean a day when you don't get up at 11, have a 2 hour lunch, and come back at 3pm, and try and get some skiing in. I've considered such things on ski trips before, but honestly you just end up knackered and all sweaty. It's not nice. Stick to the Monium plan, it is also significantly safer, unless you have allergies.
latest report
I'm going with the intention of not having a rest day. We're going to La Ros, which doesn't seem to have much going on apart from the skiing really. I'm very excited now, in fact I've not been this excited for a holiday since I was a kid. Just hope it lives up to expectations.
latest report
justatheory, in=magine saying to the rest of your party they are paying 17% extra for their holiday. They can always rest when they get home. Afterall 6 days is fairly short ski holiday.
latest report
I agree with the consensus above - no need for a rest day for a 6 day trip. For a two weeker i think it could yield benefits. After you come home, sit down with your friends and add up the entire cost of the trip, flights, accomm, transfers, ski passes, ski hire, food, drink etc. Divide the total by the number of days you had on the slopes to calculate the cost per day.

After that you can be all smug with the ones who took a rest day and realise it cost them somewhere between £100 and £300 for the luxury of sitting in an uncomfortable smelly ski apartment all day watching spanish soap operas on a 12 inch TV off of the 1990s.
snow conditions
Depends a bit on your accommodation...

Plush chalet or hotel with gym, wi-fi, spa etc in a village that's nice to walk around - then I would certainly consider a half or even full rest day if the weather was bad.

But if it's 11 of you in 2 bed shoe-box in La Plagne then I would be out on the mountain 9-5 every day come hell or high water
ski holidays
Ibuprofen, much cheaper and more effective than a rest day.
snow conditions
i'd never dare call myself fit but i have skied a lot so make up for it with half-decent technique. i would never consider wasting a day's skiing. saying that, the guys i was with in val d'isere recently were a mixed bunch. 2 or 3 of us skied flat out, dawn until dusk every day. 3 or 4 would join us for the odd day and then do a bit of their own (more relaxed skiing and coffee-stops) thing and 2 or 3 did take a day or 2 off to recover from the effects of some very late nights. each to their own and we all agreed at the end that we'd had a really great holiday.
ski holidays
meh, Very Happy

There's plenty more days in the year to rest.
snow report
Quote:

We're going to La Ros
Ah but if you are going to La Rosiere then you can ski to Italy for lunch.. and long lunch is what Italians do best....!
You'll need to go over to the north facing slopes at La Thuile to get decent snow this late in the season (it's lovely and sunny at La Ros, but it takes its toll on the snow a bit)
snow report
I'd never choose to do one, but one trip a rest day was enforced as one member was injured and I spent the day walking round Interlaken.

I have to admit that I was totally amazed at how well I skied after the rest day, feeling fresh and totally recovered from any leg stiffness and tiredness. In some ways I can see the sense of it, but although I valued the experience, I wouldn't choose to do it again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rest day is your first day back in the UK, when you pull a sicky. Best to say upset stomach from "the dodgy French food" as can be easily got over in 24 hours. Blush
snow conditions
Why on earth would you need a rest day on a 1 week holiday, that to me is just crazy. Apart from the waste of a day there is also the wast of one days lift pass(that you have paid good money for). If it applies, the wast of one days equipment hire(that you have paid good money for). The time for a rest is when you get back to work.
A rest day, never even crossed my mind.
latest report
Yeah I would sack off the rest day a well, sounds crazy when you only have 6 days of skiing. That said though me and my pal did have to give it some thought when we got a terrible dose of the shits following lunch on the mountain. But the thought of loosing a days skiing was much worse than the stomach cramps so we opted to ski from toilet to toilet (there are some grotty bogs in Les Arcs!!!).
snow conditions
You should plan to ski every day. You never know what weather will bring and there may be day (or two) you take an early lunch and don't go back. Skiing not so much fun in white-out. Your rests thus likely to be unscheduled. You' d be kicking yourself if you took a deliberate rest day on a sunny day, and next day skiing was no good due to bad weather. And don't rely on weather forecast, they can be way off the mark in the mountains.

I personally think a week (ie 6 days) is too short. What I love about 8 days is you can take some early jacuzzis early on during the trip, knowing loads of days left to do loads of skiing. However I am most knackered after short trips due I am sure to skiing harder and until the last lift. If you ski every day hard your skiing will suffer after a few days, just as even elite athletes and olympians slow down in 2nd half of 400m sprint. So nothing wrong with pacing ypurself either
snow report
Quote:
What I love about 8 days is you can take some early jacuzzis early on during the trip....
Shocked

And what I love is two extra days of getting on the lift as it opens and being chased off the mountain by the ski patrol eight or nine hours later Very Happy
ski holidays
I've occasionally had a rest day where I've had something else I wanted or had to do. Things I can remember are a visit to relatives, a trip to Yellowstone park, looking after an injured child, and dodging horrendous weather conditions. It's actually not as stupid as it seems: although I think I'm probably somewhat fitter than average and always ski from first to last lift and typically manage more than 10km of mostly off-piste vertical a day, I'm not too proud to admit that muscle fatigue can sometimes compromise my ability. You're likely to see the benefit for 2-3 days after a mid-trip break, especially if you're planning to ski for 8 days or more.

The cost needn't be as bad as it seems. Most resorts I've skied at are enlightened enough to allow a cost-free break in the ski pass (eg 8 days out of 10 is the same price as 10 straight days) and you can usually return any hire gear without penalty. You've already paid for your flight, so the only cost of extending your trip to take a rest day is your extra food and accommodation. If you're self catering, the cost is negligible, but you do use an extra day's annual leave.

If I weren't tied to school holidays, my ideal ski break would be two blocks of 5 days skiing separated by a single rest day. If I only had six days in total, though, it would take something special to prise me away from the slopes.
snow report
Never felt the need to take a rest day; 6 days is to precious to waste 1
ski holidays
It's your holiday - do what you like!
latest report
Tarquin, Nail on head
ski holidays
SkiingDad wrote:
If you're fit, you certainly don't need one.

I've been puzzling this one for years, I consider myself acceptably* fit compared to the general public but really suffer after 3 days skiing and really need a rest day if I'm to get the most out of a week. One guy specifically mentioned that he does 10km vertical per day off piste but the question to the rest of the non rest day types is: do you ski on piste most of the day? If not then I just can't understand how you do it. You must be seriously fit.

* Have done 100 rock climbs in a day; Have done 100km off road mountain biking in a day; have cycled 110 miles in a day; have cycled 3.5km height gain in a day. Have done long weekends from Manchester to Oman flying cattle class, taking only two days extra off work and still managed 4 days rock climbing.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist, I think you're more than 'acceptably' fit: 3.5km height gain is a serious day's cycling. I guess that means you tackle your skiing with as much vigour as your biking and climbing.

Unless they're seriously out of shape, a rest day is hardly necessary for someone who just potters about on a few groomed runs. On the other hand, someone who skis agressively through powder and bumps from dawn to dusk will be struggling to maintain their pace after a few days unless they have the fitness of a professional athlete.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:
TheGeneralist a rest day is hardly necessary for someone who just potters about on a few groomed runs. On the other hand, someone who skis agressively through powder and bumps from dawn to dusk will be struggling to maintain their pace after a few days unless they have the fitness of a professional athlete.

Maybe that's it, it depends on what you're skiing. If I'm having a good session then it would usually involve lapping a good section of off piste, getting fully into the zone, building up a head of adrenaline by succeeding on some jumps or steeps or something with passable technique and then hopefully skiing straight onto the lift again without stopping to let the buzz fade. Once you're in the zone getting positive feedback on what you've achieved and swapping enthusiasm with whoever you're with then I find you can really really push yourself and get a lot out of the day.

But can I do that 4 days running? No chance, I just can't keep up the positive feedback for that long.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy