Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Masai Barefoot Techonology (MBT) Shoes and Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody come across Masai Barefoot Technology (MBT) shoes before? Basically supposed to simulate and reap the benefits of barefoot walking which I have often heard is supposed to be good for you.

If you take a look at their website ( http://www.mbt-uk.com/ ), there is lots of information about the benefits and science behind it.

Follow the link on the left to 'Sport and Fitness' and scroll down and you will also see that they are used by the Austrian Ski team! There is a quote by the Austrian Ski team team doctor some way down it about the benefits etc.

I am starting to do Pilates in an effort to cure my poor bodies imbalances from years of sports abuse and desk-bound slouching and am thinking about supplementing my 'rehab' with a pair of these? Anybody used these and felt the benefits?

The real question may be which ones - could get some funny looks around London rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never used them, but an old fitness colleague swears by hers and given that she's still teaching at 63 there may be something in it. It must be down to empirical experimentation, good old 'suck it and see'. I'd be interested in the results as bits of me aren't working as well as I think they ought rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know a fitness instructor who bought a pair of these and loves them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my sister had a problem with vigorous walking, which brought on sharp shin pains. She walks with a slightly unusual forward leg motion, foot up, shortening the shin muscle, I suppose because she thrust her leg so far forward. Years ago she had an operation to split the sheath on that muscle, which had become very developed by her fencing. But her walking style had obviously been also to blame. The pain was bad enough to really cramp her style on an autumn alpine holiday last year, with just gentle daily walks. She bought a pair of MBT shoes and has found they've cured the problem. But she did complain that they were desperately uncool (and expensive). I suspect they've good for most of us, and have been toying with getting a pair. Not done it yet, because of the cost, rather than the lack of cool. Be interested to see other contributions.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My GF has a pair and loves them. Her legs and bum are noticeably toned (that's a £5er she owes me now) and she's walking 30-60 minutes to and from work a day (rather than sitting in a tube). Even if nothing else the fact that it's got her doing more regular exercise is a big thing. She also walks faster which is a great thing too. According to my physio they're also very good for core strength.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, they're terribly trendy round Sloane Square...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, Emsworth is not Sloane Square, but sounds like I need a pair. That toned bum....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
Her legs and bum are noticeably toned (that's a £5er she owes me now)

You do realise that that will probably be interpreted as 'You thought my legs and bum weren't nicely toned before' wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
agavin, it's OK she doesn't read this. But please, no-one mention my comment at the PSB- she'll be there!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sounds intriguing... although shame that they haven't got any funky designs...
will check out the 2 shops in bristol that stock them and ask some questions...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
agavin, there's a lot of faddism and gimmicry in sports-related kit. The present resurgence in "bare-foot" technology (Nike's "Free" is a prime example) is based on the idea that modern shoes cause the feet to become couch potatoes and that barefoot training will strengthen feet and that this is good for you.

Which is actually somewhat bollox if you think about it.

Lower limbs (and in fact the whole body) are quickly exhausted if the foot isn't cushioned in some way from the jarring impact of striking the ground. Sports shoe support in the past arose precisely because athletes looked at their plimsoles and started thinking - what if I could continue to train the whole body without being limited by foot fatigue?

Masai tribesmen may have good posture and run for miles, and traditionally are barefoot all the time, but that doesn't necessarily imply their barefootedness is the reason for it. In fact imagine how much further/faster their bodies would take them if they were wearing well-supporting footwear! You can try this for yourself - if you already run a few miles regularly, try the same distance without your shoes - on the treadmill of course. If you can run even half your normal distance without at least shin pain kicking in, I should be very very surprised. And if you wanted to train barefoot aka Zola Budd, then you'd have to be VERY careful with your training schedule.

No doubt there is some benefit to barefootism, but it's unlikely to be anywhere near as much as is claimed. To be honest you'd be better off IMHO just walking barefoot whenever you can, and rolling marbles around with your toes. MOST importantly make sure you're wearing properly fitting supportive inners for any particularly active activity you engage in.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Manda, I'm inclined to agree. I would take a wild guess that the Masai show a genetic tendency to have good strong arches. Barefoot, in that case, is fine, but if you over pronate, for instance, it seems unlikely that it will do you the favours that having a properly moulded support will do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, Thanks for your comments - you sound even more of a sceptic than I rolling eyes

However, there is a lot of information (such as studies from university of Calgary and other(?)) which seem to add some scientific weight to the marketed 'benefits'?

I wasn't particularly interested in what it does for my feet or arches as I run a lot and cannot imagine running without proper supportive trainers (as you correctly point out), however, there are a set of 'skeletons' (maybe just marketing?) on their website showing how walking in these improves posture ???

I am more interested in whether these could help me sort out over-tight hamstrings, occasional lower back pain etc. which I believe should all assist alignment and hence my skiing. Any thoughts on the posture element?

You are right about faddism in sports related kit which is why I am sceptical. I really enjoy sports and weight training and read loads of articles on training, and to be frank have developed a reasonably dim view of exercise science because one month an article is advising to do this, another month not to - another article warning that this exercise should be done this way, and another the next month saying it should be done yet another way to avoid injury. Despite my active pursuit of understanding the science behind training, at the end of the day one of the best indications seems to be the good old personal testimony to somethings effectiveness. Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zammo, while they may have some (very small) genetic advantage, basically Masai don't traditionally slob around on couches or get Tescos to deliver. Which is why they run as well as they do.

It's modern Western lifestyles in general that cause the kinds of problems you're mentioning agavin (for example, sitting at a desk all day also causes tight hamstrings and lower back issues. Underexcercised ab muscles don't help either).

In as far as modern dress shoes almost always have a heal which throws the body's natural allignment off balance, which is the cause of a host of postural problems (including those suffered by agavin ), then yes barefoot is "best". And MBT would be "good" for you. But to be honest it's a lot of money, compared to just going barefoot where-ever possible and avoiding heals.

agavin I sit at a computer all day normally, and row competitively in the skiing off-season, both of which create a host of hamstring and lower-back issues. I would suggest you spend the money on a good sports massage therapist - the massage will help return your stiff and thus mis-aligned muscles to their natural length. If he can't explain clearly to you why your muscles are tight, then find another therapist. The therapist should also be able to advise which stretches you need to focus on to maintain your muscular suppleness.

But I would remain highly sceptical as far as bare-foot technology goes in terms of actually strengthening the foot muscles in the same way as, say crunches strengthen ab muscles. And in any event it may be counter-productive for strenuous sports.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bought my pair today. Primarily for use in walking to and from the station about a mile each way. we'll see how it goes.
ski holidays
Mine are on order. I tried them out indoors at work for a couple of days - but they were trainers and not really "suitable" for work so I am getting the casual shoes - which do look a bit wierd.
Manda I think quite a lot of what is written in exercise masgazines could be represented by two spherical objects and am not sure that "Masai" has anything to do with this particular exercise aid.
What they do seem to do is two things:
They make the whole foot unstable and require a lot of proprioceptive effort to not fall off them;
They are the opposite of high heels because the heel curves away upwards which means that even in ordinary standing your calf is in much more use.
The osteopath who sold them to me (Nick Cowx from Emsworth, pam w) thinks that it is important for pronators like me (and agavin) to concetrate on keeping the laces pointing upwards.
I wouldn't dream of running in anything other than proper running trainers with my custom-made orthotics ( as I will be doing on Sunday in the Great South Run - wish me luck!)
ski holidays
B u m p Toofy Grin
how have you got on with those shoes since 2005 ?
also, should this thread be in fitness ?
I was given a pair by a friend who " did not have time to bother", I just walked about 25 min with them on and my celulite is burning in interesting wink places,
however, I noticed that when I was walking I was leaning forward like the " Tower of Piza"
what's your experiance ?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-03-11 20:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Well i still haven't got any - I did go into filarinskis fully intending to buy some, but then just couldn't quite bring myself to spend such an absurd sum on a pair of trainers! I shall be very interested in further responses to this thread, though. Might still get some......

I do have Fitflops, and wear them a lot in summer - they're comfortable and look as OK as anything can on my horrible feet, but I'm not convinced they are remotely "toning". I can wear mine for hours without noticing any "burn".
snow report
I bought some for walking to work... then my job upped sticks and I have to use a car so I haven't managed to use them long term.
In the short time I had them I didn't notice dramatic changes but like Snowdrop I 'felt' like i'd worked my muscles more - not sure how much of it was real vs placebo.
I've never got rid of them - in the hope that if i have any regular flat/pavement walking I would use them!
(Unfortunately if I do walk at weekends now its usually on bumpy ground and I prefer to wear my walking boot/trainer type of shoes - don't know what they're called - not quite a walking boot and not quite a trainer!)
snow report
Fitflops, I'm sure there are health benefits from wearing them........ but aesthetically speaking, they're not an attractive sight. You wouldn't find them in the middle of a 'sexy healthy' Venn Diagram.
snow report
Re MBT shoes I've always liked the idea of them but found the prices ridiculous.
I wasn't interested for the toning reason, more for the springy/cushioning/comfortable trainer feel, but in a smarter shoe.
A few other companies are trying similar approaches now, though not necessarily laying claim to imitating walking barefoot. I've found http://www.clarks.co.uk/wave-walk very good and much cheaper.
snow report
Quote:

Fitflops, I'm sure there are health benefits from wearing them........ but aesthetically speaking, they're not an attractive sight.

actually, I do think they're about the best looking flip flops around. They don't look good on my feet, but that's not the fault of the Fitflops.
snow conditions
mountain mad wrote:
(Unfortunately if I do walk at weekends now its usually on bumpy ground and I prefer to wear my walking boot/trainer type of shoes - don't know what they're called - not quite a walking boot and not quite a trainer!)

Approach shoes are typically a cross between a walking boot and a training shoe.
ski holidays
I got a pair from TK Maxx for £40. I've only worn them a couple of times but can't say I noticed much difference with them. However they give me a blister every time I wear them and I've noticed my feet tend to roll inwards when walking so not so sure that they're that good for me really.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Fitflops, I'm sure there are health benefits from wearing them........ but aesthetically speaking, they're not an attractive sight.

actually, I do think they're about the best looking flip flops around. They don't look good on my feet, but that's not the fault of the Fitflops.

Warning, coarse comment alert....

Phrases you'll never hear # 43 - "As it's your birthday pet, I'll keep my Fitflops on......"
snow report
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
They make the whole foot unstable and require a lot of proprioceptive effort to not fall off them;
Bingo!
snow conditions
I have had a pair of Mbt's for 4years, I am a nurse and work 12.5 hour shifts no matter how tired I am my feet never ache and my legs are definitely more toned. They are worth every penny and I can't recommend too highly.
snow report
I tried MBTs a few years ago, and they are now my default shoe. Fit is important, as with any shoe, and different models in the range fit differently, so it is worth going somewhere with a range to try. I don't think I have slimmed since starting to wear them, but I know my knees are a lot happier - before I got them, I was popping ibuprofen a few times a day whenever I was out mountain walking, or skiing, but I never need drugs now, and I certainly ski harder than I did then. I am pretty convinced that, as promised by the physio, they have strengthened the muscles around my knees, preventing other injury.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
My GF has a pair and loves them. Her legs and bum are noticeably toned

Dont believe a word of this without pictures
snow report
Ther's a cheap MBT shop in Portsmouth in the new shoppoing cnetre near the big tower thing - they were selling many off at much cheaper prices (making them almost but not quite) reasnoably priced
snow conditions
I had no idea I'd been wearing MBTs for so long Embarassed
I'm now on my second pair - I wear them to work.
As regards price, they are fairly durable Very Happy
As regards aesthetics rolling eyes

I stand by my comments above (about instability leading to increased proprioceptive input).

Since I have been wearing them I have had much fewer problems with my back (and I have the bum of a model... T Ford)
ski holidays
sev112, Ah! Might have to go and have a look in there. They do sound good - and I liked them when I borrowed them from my sister for an hour.

Interesting that the sales blurb for those Clarks wave thingies says they enable you to walk faster with less effort (whereas the selling points of the FitFlops and MBTs seem to be that they make it all so wobbly that your muscles will have to work much harder to cope.
snow report
sev112, do you mean Gunwharf Quays?
snow conditions
aha yes Gunwharf Keys
some good value shops there - good base layers and things;
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy