Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone else suffer from Third Day Syndrome?

Poster: A snowHead
You know, the day when you wake up in a daze from cheese poisoning last night (or with an hangover), the day when your ski boots don't seem to be the same shape as your feet, the day you lose a ski because there was snow in the binding, the day you go A over T right underneath a chairlift when everyone is watching, the day you twist something, the day when you spill beer/vin chaud/gravy/custard down your ski trousers, the day when all moguls are too high/too soft, the powder is too thick and the hard pack is too icy....Why is it always day 3?
Or is it just me?
Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, and the appalling ache in the thighs
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It takes you 3 days! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Day 3 is usually my best day; just now remembering what a good turn feels like and just before fatigue sets in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strangely, my ski host last week was explaining the medical reason behind this. Apparently ski instructors know about this effect and are trained to watch out for it. As explained to me:

Due to altitude, your body does not get enough oxygen. It starts manufacturing extra red blood cells to compensate. By the third day your red/white cell ratio is completely out of balance, and this is what causes the tiredness (although quite why this happens I don't know and omitted to ask ). The white cells start to keep up after day 3 and normal balance is restored.

I thought it was just me being unfit. Although I'm sure that's a factor as well Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I tend to find that its day 2 for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does this effect have a proper name?

Or is it Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and a bit of a hangover under another name? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Defo day 3 is hard thats why I only go for about 3 days !!
With apres thrown in too ,its enough ....... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Day 3 is my fave. Remembering how to do a decent turn and before the,fatigue sets,in.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, there seems to be a delayed echo in here. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, Yup and he's got delayed onset comma excess too wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RandomSkier wrote:
Does this effect have a proper name?

It does at homphomp towers...its called "Feeling Wednesday" I'd like to think the bit about the battle of the blood cells is true but I know that it's really because I'm totally unfit!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep

Well the kids do, they are always tired and grumpy that day
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Day 1:- fantastic
Day 2:- hurts like hell(over done it on day 1)
Day 3:- slight improvement on day 2(over doing it day 2 is totally out of the question)
Day 4:- massive hangover everything hurts(even your hair hurts too much to put your helmet on)
Day 5:- looking up, legs starting to settle in, feet getting used to spending all day in boots.
Day 6:- fantastic. Bollox it's the last day, where the feck did that week go to????
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it's the first week of the season, it goes like this:
(I try to ski at least a day or 2 before doing a full week, but occasionally the best laid plan didn't work out)

Day 1: don't quite remember what to do with those 2 long planks on my feet! Try this and try that untill it slowly comes back.

Day 2: fantastic! This skiing thing is great fun and let's do a lot of it! Erh... too much of it in 1 day!

Day 3: tired and sore. Have to drag my sorry butt out on the slope...

Day 4: getting used to it now, including used to being sore in some muscle I didn't know exist but turn out to be essential to skiing.

Day 5+ : pretty much fully recovered. Skiing nicely.

(Only when I'm on an organized trip I stop after the 6th day. If DIY, I tend to ski all 8 or 9 days before rushing to the airport for my flight home)
ski holidays
This is why I spent 21 days skiing in a row in Jan/Feb....even when travelling between places...Epic off piste descent morning>train afternoon...
Smile
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Day 112 can be tough... Toofy Grin
snow report
cran wrote:
Jealous
snow conditions
Quote:

cran wrote:
Day 112 can be tough...
Jealous

REALLY JEALOUS!
snow conditions
day 4 + wednesday wobbly for me, at this point husband lets me do whatever I want have as many stops as I want etc. as doing otherwise and trying to coax me into more difficult runs has had me throwing skis off and threatening never to go skiing again..... I think its a combinations of muscle ache, being not really fit enough, change in food/water and a bit of a hangover.... when i re read this is makes me sound like such a drama queen ! Opps! Very Happy
latest report
Day 4, typically for me, though the last trip in Jan was fine....practically the first time. No idea why, other than 14 months of going to the gym regularly, quite possibly.
latest report
Day three is when my feet start being a different shape to my boots. Day four is fine...day five is a pain in the ar$e. Day six is fine but I'm knackered by lunchtime.
latest report
cran wrote:

shitballs, its day 111 thats tough for me...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy