Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time management and getting to the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
I have just read a very disturbing thread where people contributed (bragged?) how many weeks they were going to be getting away to ski in the coming season. I felt ill as I have a week booked in April and fantasise about other min-trips/pseudo work related jollies etc

In terms of the comments of other snowheads - I don't get it? How is it possible?

If you are a student - you have the time, but not the money.

If you are your own boss - you could make the time, but possibly lose your shirt

If you are a parent - you are mad to go with your kids and will lose your shirt. Without kids? How?

The other factors of course are the money required and the ability/inability to get the time to do it away from real-life ie work, studies etc

I'd be really interested to hear peoples circumstances of how they manage themselves in this way. I am jealous and aspiring and figure if I learn just something from one of you I can wangle extra time on piste. If I can't I am going to become the forum whinger.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, Some snowHead live in resort areas, some are doing seasons. Some have retired, early or otherwise. A few work in the biz. I know all my spare cash goes on skiing Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not a student
I'm not my own boss
I don't have anyone else leeching off me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many UK employees get 4 or 5 weeks paid leave, plus a few more days for bank holidays. That gives 4 or 5 or 6 weeks to go skiing. What else would one want to do with these leave days?

Most of my leave days for several years have been allocated to skiing. But, have needed a few days for family commitments. Note to self: consider status of non-skiing family members.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 22-09-05 12:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year I justified it to myself as I had a separate weekend with each of my teenage daughters which meant excellent quality time together. It was great - and wouldn't have worked if I had taken them both on the same weekend. Of course having to go away for two weekends was a real downer - skiing the Vallee Blanche in glorious sunshine on one weekend and then similar weather in the 3V on another - you have to be a glutton for punishment.

Apart from that we had a family week away and then I sneaked in an extra week where I went as the speaker on a church group based trip.

Cost wise I tried to get it as cheap as possible for the 5 of us, and got a very good deal. The week as speaker was free and then the two weekends weren't too bad as hunted around for fairly cheap DIY deals.

Working independantly I can make up the time I lose by working longer hours (am frequently up all night the day before a holiday).

I am now saving up Tesco vouchers to do what others have already done ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weekends and public holidays (Christmas/New Year, Easter) help. If your annual leave is calculated on a calender basis having one or two trips pre-Christmas (assuming you have days left from your leave allowance) makes sure your not away form work too frequently during the ski season proper. I also keep in touch with work when I'm away (email, phone) and do whatever work is possible on the laptop.

For me it's about priorities - I tend to use the majority of my holidays in the winter, and also turned down a promotion recently because it would have meant less time for skiing. Work/life balance issues are becoming more important now, and the skiing part of my life is up there at the top of the list!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm my own boss, fortunately the ski season tends to be quiet work wise for me until March but I can always take work with me if I need to
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I'm not a student
I'm not my own boss
I don't have anyone else leeching off me.

Big Issue, sir?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, "Big Issue, Your Excellency?"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm also my own boss but in reality this makes no difference. !st time ever we did 2 weeks last year and will do 2 again this. !st week is generally one of the cheapo weeks in January. We go with a group, with agood smaller chalet operator. We get early booking discounts, group discounts, and pick a chalet with lots of quad rooms for child discounts. The other week is for either half term or easter (dare only take kids out of school for 1 week) and we adopt a similar but smaller scale tactic. 2 seperate weeks skiing is the equivalent of a 2 week BIG holiday.

We find that although lessons, lift pass and equipment hire mount up, but going in a group, chalet board, we spend nothing once these core costs have been met thus making it comparable to other types of holiday. Skiing with "mqad for it" kids is great fun
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are fortunate to enough to have the opportunity to rent an appartment for £125 per week. This enables us to ski the PDS and other nearby resorts in Switzerland and France. We usually have 1 week with the kids at Christmas or New Year, and the 2nd week (10 days) with our friends in Feb/March. We always drive to the resort when with the children, but usually fly & hire a car when travelling with our friends. The combined costs of both these trips is less than one package deal trip with the family.

This year though we are having sneaky 3rd trip courtessy of tesco. snowHead

Travelling by car, and renting appartments is probably one of the cheaper options when you have a family.

I can take time off from work when I need to, and the OH has about 5-6 weeks per year. Kids now go on their own trips as well as with us. We class our skiing holiday as our main holiday and would rather forego a summer holiday so that we can ski.

BTW 'poor' students always seem to have enough money to go on holiday and buy the essential booze. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My employer makes me take 4 weeks holiday in the winter months and 1 week in the summer, I am my employer Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its pretty much the same for me here, I am my own boss and january is a very quiet time for me so I go for 10 to 14 nights skiing during january and the first week of jan always seems to be the cheapest time to go. Just have a quieter christmas than normal and save yourself some money, don't go to all the christmas parties ect. I don't but its my job that doesn't allow it.

Last year we got a late deal in jan to go to val thorens, all in except pass for £230, we stayed in possibly the worst appartments in the resort but it was great, life is what you make it you can't have 5* properties all the time and you really just sleep in them when you are skiiing its just a base. Having said that its just me and the boys that go skiing my mrs doesn't ski and she probably wouldn't put up with the accomodation that we stay in. You just have to organise yourself well. Then if another trip or deal crops up again in march I will go but only if I feel its when I can take time off. I work six and seven days a week all others times of year so when I can have time off I do. Remember you only go through life once. However I would never take the mickey out of my business and you have to remember I miss out on lots of things because of it. Working all the time means I don't do many nights out unless I'm on holiday. I get up at 5.00am monday to saturday and am in the office for 6.00am and get home anytime between 6.00pm and 8.00pm - I have very understanding friends and a even more understanding Mrs.

However being the boss does have its downsides, this weekend its my anniversary and I have booked to take the mrs away for a friday and saturday however I've been let down big time at work and now won't be going - so boy am I in the dog house.

Don't get on peoples back just cause they want to ski all the time, as I say you are only through here once, so live and let live. Let people do what they want.

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
If you are a student - you have the time, but not the money.

If you are your own boss - you could make the time, but possibly lose your shirt

If you are a parent - you are mad to go with your kids and will lose your shirt. Without kids? How?

You missed out the double income no kids (sort of) who have 5-6 weeks annual leave and don't take summer holidays Little Angel You have the money and you have the time snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cathy Coins, That's us! Plus Mr HH works all the hours god sends in Summer....and sits around looking at the rain in the Winter. How much better to be on the slopes?
snow report
Work in the Summer & Play in the winter , simple Very Happy
latest report
Work in the Summer & Play in the winter , simple Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Don't get on peoples back just cause they want to ski all the time, as I say you are only through here once, so live and let live. Let people do what they want.

I hope that's not what you thought I was getting at. I was being sarcastic, envious, jealous and curious all at once.

If I had a problem with people wanting to ski all the time I wouldn't be a snowHead and I wouldn't ask the question.

What's the Tesco voucher thing? Or am I thick?
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, I fully understand what you're feeling. Am very envious of those able to ski more than me! I did a few dinkie years when i got max 3 weeks a year as I've always had and still have other commitments (family abroad, other interests etc). Then went thru a period with little (very little - actually none) skiing. I've now got a generous 6 weeks leave a year plus bank hols on top. I'm with family and building up to a planned 2 consecutive weeks this season and a couple of weekends total 19 1/2 days. I drive and rent an apartment to save money and do it on a budget I'm quite proud of for a family of 6 (3 kids and a nanny or au pair these days). I want to buy somewhere in the Alps but at the moment family commitments are such that I wouldn't be able to use it as much as I'd like, so I'll probably have to wait a few years.
snow report
Tesco vouchers paid for £1000 worth of ferries for us, last winter. You have a TEsco clubcard, and in my case it's also a Tesco credit card, amass points for spending, and they send tokens you can either spend at face value in Tesco or swap for four times the value in "tokens" which can be used for all sorts of things - including car hire with Avis, and western channel ferry tickets with P & O or tickets on eurotunnel. Unfortunately P&O Dover-Calais is not covered, and they are not doing Portsmouth-Le Havre after next month. Mind you, you have to spend a lot.... but I put all the power bills, all my shopping, airfares, everything, onto the Tesco credit card, which is paid off in full every month, and it mounts up.

We are early-retired, but not specially well off as we only have one reduced-pension income. What we do have, of course, is that priceless commodity - TIME. We have bought a small apartment, which is brilliant, and we are shortly to do our fourth season in the Alps. The mortgage on the apartment is paid by our having converted the bedroom formerly used by university-student daughter into a bed-sitter, and taken in a lodger. Her rent pays the mortgage. She spent a week with us in the apartment last year, so she knows where the rent goes! When daughter is at home she has to sleep on the spare bed in the study. But she gets to go ski-ing too....

We have an N registered Toyota, just one car, which has done 120,000 miles and needs to do at least another 40,000. We spend practically nothing on eating out, or on clothes (except ski gear...) Our kitchen really needs a face-lift (it's a good 20 years old and was never at all smart).

Spending whole seasons in the Alps sounds - and is - fantastic. But an arrangement like ours would be affordable by many early retired people with a spare room they could convert into a bed sitter. But not if they want a house which looks fantastic all the time, want lots of new clothes, like eating out etc. It is, as posters above have said, a matter of priorities. We buy season lift passes, in advance, big cash discount if you buy in November. We eat out very rarely when in the Alps, though we eat and drink extremely well, as I enjoy cooking and the apartment has an excellent kitchen (MGM new build, 2 bedrooms, cost £65,000 when the euro was young and cheap).

When the kids were younger, and I was working, the only holidays we actually paid real money for were ski holidays. Always in fairly basic chalets, and mostly travelling by coach (cheaper than self drive and more tolerable for the kids).

Of course, how well off you are is relative. I would not pretend we are even remotely "poor" but we are not rich (or we wouldn't have one battered N Reg Toyota between us). People who imply that we must be very well off to have an apartment in the Alps seem not to realise that if they hadn't just a new car (always a terrible waste of money) and/or the latest new kitchen, they could have one too. Depends what's important to you.
latest report
have own business, don't run a flash car, ski instruct in spare time/some "holidays", max hols in winter, min in summer, have a ski instructor wife and a 2.5 yr old who runs round the kitchen with his imaginary skis on...spare cash goes on courses, hols, kit and apres-ski - saving for a pad in valais for more wkends away/permanent mountain fun wink
latest report
The way school holidays are structured means that the "winter season" is a: limited and b; very expensive and coupled with the cost of child minding in the long summer break means that most families are tied to one, maybe two, if lucky ski holidays a year. I'm now in the position of being able to take the odd long weekend and therefore get a bit of extra sliding action but on a daily rate it is stupidly expensive. I thought the switch to six terms was meant to break up the tour companies "over a barrel" mentality. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
During daylight hours I'm an Account Manager - after dark I change my name to Paula and work at For Your Eyes Only in Newcastle.

rolling eyes
latest report
Paul Mason,

"You spent that £20 I slipped you yet?" typed Peter Leuzzi as he leant back slowly in his chair exhaling his cigarette.
ski holidays
Actually, I don't smoke...
latest report
Quote:

Quote:

I hope that's not what you thought I was getting at. I was being sarcastic, envious, jealous and curious all at once.

If I had a problem with people wanting to ski all the time I wouldn't be a and I wouldn't ask the question.

I'm sorry for my comment, that came out the wrong way, its just been another long day and I guess I didn't read your post properly or take it in the vein it was meant.

Appologies to Peter Leuzzi and your quite right you wouldn't be a snow head if you had a problem with people skiing all the time and I hope you do find a way to fit more skiing in matey.

Alpinebullit Embarassed
latest report
How we got 10 trips and 57 days skiing last season...

1. Book flights for coming season as soon as they're released (BA a year in advance)
2. Start early. December can be great.
3. Finish late - last trip last year was around 25 April and flights are ridiculously cheap.
4. Be sensible with ann. leave. - 3 days leave between Xmas and New year gets you 9 days skiing.
5. Time management:
Friday
17h00 leave office for City Airport/Gatwick
22h00 leave Geneva airport in tiny hire car/mate's car for "nearby" resort
23h00 order drinkies at Bar Bouda, Morzine and say "Hi" to Fabienne
01h15 leave bar
07h00 leave bed, ski, etc.
Sunday
16h00 depart La Terrasse after bang up late lunch
19h00 depart Geneva for London
Monday - back in the office with a grin and a weekends skiing under belt.

It helps I will admit too have friends with spare rooms and relatives with chalets...

I think it's called commuting isn't it?
snow report
Alpinebullit,

No problem. Thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch,

Superb!
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, A pleasure, hope it helps. I must say that this year for a number of reasons will be a tad down on last year, but there you go.
snow conditions
I will try and do 2 x 1 wekers and a few 4 dayers. My works pattern lends itself whereas I can ski 9 days and take 3 days off so my 5 weeks a year goes a long way. Within my usual skiing group I am the only one with a proper job, the others have all made their money... !! Now that is frustrating., they can disappear for 3 weeks or so. They usually average 6-7 weeks a year skiing. I do well just to be able to keep up with them and sometimes all that time on snow really does count.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, Last year I did 4 ski trips. I arranged them all independently, which makes cheaper and enabled me to ski on arrival and departure day. 3 of the 4 trips I did as long (3-5 day) weekends.
In total I did 18 days on the slopes with 10 days off work. Before food/drink (i.e. just travel and accomodation) I prob spent about £1400.
Days off work not a problem. Money is affordable to me. Kids etc. not a factor for me. Some hassle to DIY trips, but I find that part of the fun snowHead
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, I'm finishing work in November (I'm employed and self employed) playing golf for a month in Florida, then going to Morzine in December. In April, I will have to get a job, having blown my savings! snowHead
latest report
David Murdoch wrote about his weekend trips to Morzine. I know someone who did the same almost every weekend for a whole season. Only the timing changed as they skied in Val d'Isere where the car journey is around three hours. Working across the road from Victoria Railway station helped with the Friday journey.

Such commuting takes a bit of planning. Leaving kit in the resort means your only luggage is your passport. Having a cheap car in France and investigating season car-park tickets at airports may be worthwhile - Lyon is/was cheaper than Geneva.
snow report
Adrian wrote:
Having a cheap car in France and investigating season car-park tickets at airports may be worthwhile - Lyon is/was cheaper than Geneva.

A friend does this, using the car park at Lyon. Not only is their daily rate cheaper than Geneva, but there is a maximum charge there, so above a certain number of days (10 I think he said) the car park bill doesn't get any higher.
ski holidays
Adrian, It's also tiring. Last season we only had one weekend a month in London. (Almost) every one was spent skiing. Now that was great, but absolutely exhausting. Sadly, unlike JT's mates we haven't made our money (what money?) and still have to haul out of bed on Monday mornings.

One reason for this seasons planned reduced days is simply to take things a little easier!
latest report
David Murdoch,

I'm loving your format of a weekend! Sounds full on and tiring but right up my rue.

What is the transfer time from GVA to Morzine?

I have found a fair price for January from Stansted.

Any other suggested resorts for a reasonable transfer time from GVA i.e 1-1.5 hrs drive or even a train?
ski holidays
Its fun and better than hanging out in London!

I have done Morzine-Geneva airport in 55 minutes but that was at 5.00 in the morning. Typically allow 90 minutes. Alternatives include Les Gets, Megeve, Flaine, Samoens, Chamonix and associateds, etc.
latest report
I should point out it's a royal pain in the proverbial if your Friday flight gets cancelled! Only happened once and BA were very nice in sorting out a 6.30 alternative on teh Sat morning. Missed a little bit of skiing but there you go.
snow report
David Murdoch, what sort of price range do you get with the BA flights from City and/or Gatwick?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy