Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how low in boot size can you go?

Poster: A snowHead
How many sizes smaller in a boot could you go than your current?
For example, I'm a 10 in normal shoes but my ski boots are size 9, which seem good.
However, bootfitters have in the past said you could go even lower for a performance boot. I assume this needs some softening of the shell but wouldn't a smaller boot start to hurt?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I expect it has something to do with the width of the last, I know that is the case for standard shoes. My boots are a Head Edge 260/265, I've just bought my son a Salomon Performa T3 (kds boot) in a 25.5. Since CEM once told me that the boots I had verged on being too big (I didn't get them from him, but asked him to look when I met him at MK once) I thought for the sheer hell of things I'd slip on the childs boot and see how snug it was and see if I could get a feel as to what size I should look out for - my toes were def. in the end of the liner, but with a slight extension the size would have done - a whole size smaller than I was in. This made me think that a 26.0 was probably about correct. The problem is that most boots that I've looked up seem to be 250/255 or 260/265, when what I think I need is a 26.0. It made me wonder which direction a bootfitter would go to the smaller size and stretch up, or the larger size. I suspect the former.

There is quite a temptation to go 'off the shelf' and order online when you look at the bargains out there at this time of year, esp. when none of our local boot fitters have similar bargains. However, I've been on SH's long enough to realise that I should go to a bootfitter and that it could easily be false economy not to, I just wish I lived closer to all the stores doing the boots I think would be offered/recommended to me at a reasonable price.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
I expect it has something to do with the width of the last, I know that is the case for standard shoes. My boots are a Head Edge 260/265, I've just bought my son a Salomon Performa T3 (kds boot) in a 25.5. Since CEM once told me that the boots I had verged on being too big (I didn't get them from him, but asked him to look when I met him at MK once) I thought for the sheer hell of things I'd slip on the childs boot and see how snug it was and see if I could get a feel as to what size I should look out for - my toes were def. in the end of the liner, but with a slight extension the size would have done - a whole size smaller than I was in. This made me think that a 26.0 was probably about correct. The problem is that most boots that I've looked up seem to be 250/255 or 260/265, when what I think I need is a 26.0. It made me wonder which direction a bootfitter would go to the smaller size and stretch up, or the larger size. I suspect the former.

There is quite a temptation to go 'off the shelf' and order online when you look at the bargains out there at this time of year, esp. when none of our local boot fitters have similar bargains. However, I've been on SH's long enough to realise that I should go to a bootfitter and that it could easily be false economy not to, I just wish I lived closer to all the stores doing the boots I think would be offered/recommended to me at a reasonable price.

The other thing is when I measured the last of my forefoot it is 110mm whereas bootfitters have always said I had thin feet and said I should go for 100mm last boots or lower!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I take a UK size 9 - 9.5 in shoes, my ski boots are a 26.5. Yes, they're tight. 96mm @ 26.5
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, they are the same size as mine and I am pretty standard shoe size 7-7.5, yours must indeed be snug!!! GordonFreeman, I know I have a wide foot and a high instep which is why the guy that fitted me for my first boots said that he expected only one of two pairs would do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman wrote:
I'm a 10 in normal shoes but my ski boots are size 9, which seem good.

If it ain't broke and all that wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Two pairs of boots here in different sizes, depends a lot on the brand, but the number of people who refuse to even fasten boots and lean forward before assertively pronouncing that they are 'far too small' is beyond counting.

If you ski aggressively you'll appreciate the precision of tight/shorter boots and will probably be a couple of sizes smaller than your shoe size simply because most people wear shoes far too big.

However, don't be surprised if when hiring boots you're given bigger ones than when purchasing - nine out of ten hire clients choose to have no control rather than bang their toes a bit when they walk around restaurant terraces. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GordonFreeman, what you mean is that your everyday shoes are too big. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
Spyderman, they are the same size as mine and I am pretty standard shoe size 7-7.5, yours must indeed be snug!!! GordonFreeman, I know I have a wide foot and a high instep which is why the guy that fitted me for my first boots said that he expected only one of two pairs would do.

Thankfully with the help/insistence/prompting of people like Spyderman and Colin Martin at Solutions4Feet, I have got it into my stubborn opinionated egotistical head that it doesn't matter a jot what numbers are printed on a boot, what make they are or anything else, boots cannot be bought without being fitted by a good fitter.

I had the opportunity to dissamble an old pair apart this week and the only relation they have to everyday footwear, ie boots, shoes, wellies is that they are worn on the foot. That is where the similarity ends, and no UK, US Euro or Mondo size can ever mate with your foot without actual fitting. All it seems to me that the Mondo Point does is aid the boot fitter in knowing roughly what size your foot is and that's a starting point, as ski boots are big shoey shaped Tupperware containers for storing feet in, and the foot bit is the liner and it's relation to the Tupperware surrounding is too complex to even begin to contemplate.

By now, I'm the kind of person who would have bought 3-4 pairs of boots online at a "good price" and probably have one that sorta fits in my kitchen, and does sweet ladies front bottom all on a snowy hill.

I'll still be a stubborn git in many areas, but not ski boots, it's not worth it

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 1-02-13 15:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
GordonFreeman, what you mean is that your everyday shoes are too big. Madeye-Smiley

My everyday shoes are fine, they fit great, but my everyday shoes aren't in the same family as ski boots, not even the same species, they just occupy the same ecosystem
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GordonFreeman wrote:
How many sizes smaller in a boot could you go than your current?

How many holes in a football net wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ratae Corieltauvorum, mine neither, but my shoe size and boot size are the same!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, mine neither, but my shoe size and boot size are the same!

You come from one of those foot binding tribes Confused

EDIT: Or you're a skeleton Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ratae Corieltauvorum, nah.

just born lucky wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc wrote:
Ratae Corieltauvorum, nah.

just born lucky wink

Born?

Made in a lab more like Twisted Evil
latest report
My normal shoe size is 7.5-8 (depending on the shoe). Ski boots are a 24.5. Mother-in-law didn't believe me, as they're the same size as hers (who is a size 5 and very wee). And no, they don't feel stupidly small either!
ski holidays
My shoe size is 44 (9.5) and my ski boots, although they say 7 on the side are actually 26/26.5, 305mm sole. Fit lovely, about a size and a half down from normal.
ski holidays
Ignore the actual number on the boot beyond it being a starting point, a reference point. After that, go as small as you feel you comfortably can. If you find a boot that's the right length but it seems narrow, as if they have one with a wider last. Don't get a boot too long to accomodate width, find the right sized boot in both dimensions.
ski holidays
adamantis, Shocked Well I know mine aren't small, but.............................

I think mine fit fairly well and are comfy (but this is after plenty of padding (mustn't use the word 'stuffing' on SH's rolling eyes ). I wonder if smaller boots would improve my skiing and whether they would be as comfy and ski all dayable as my current ones? Personally I could stand new shiney boots, but I get disapproving comments from family members if I threaten to go and spend £300-£400 on new boots and this means that I require excellent justification to go and shop for a new pair. Also I am in two minds whether to go back to Skee-tex who fair's fair sold me decent boots in the usual beginners size too big 'cos we need them comfy size range, or to go to someone else. I have The Alpine Room in Danbury (who I have got kids boots from in the past), Ski Plus in Chelmsford or a longer trip 'somewhere else'.
latest report
i buy a UK11 in pretty much all my shoes, my slightly longer foot is just on the 29 on the brannock measurer

ski boots head raptor 28/28.5, Atomic redster 28/28.5, salomon X Max 27/27.5 (which according to the conversion is 8.5 UK) it is about shell check, foot volume and tolerance

also remember with the width it increases/decreases as the boot size goes up/down
latest report
Quote:

also remember with the width it increases/decreases as the boot size goes up/down

CEM, I wondered if it might, I remember one day getting into a comfotable size 5 shoe that happened to be wide enough for me and the worman in the (expensive!) shoe shop explained why - I was on a quest for comfy shoes when I had puffy feet whilst PG at the time.
snow conditions
feef wrote:
Ignore the actual number on the boot beyond it being a starting point, a reference point. After that, go as small as you feel you comfortably can. If you find a boot that's the right length but it seems narrow, as if they have one with a wider last. Don't get a boot too long to accomodate width, find the right sized boot in both dimensions.

i actually think that the main thing is that the boot fits properly around the instep/ankle and you have no heel lift. if that is right a bit of wriggle room (within reason) for yer toes is NBD. apparently I have normal size feet but short toes so that may influence my views on things...
snow report
Arno wrote:
apparently I have normal size feet but short toes so that may influence my views on things...

Bagginses Shocked
snow report
Then there's the last. Measure don fit it comes to 110mm but none of my boots have a last anywhere near that. My Head adapt edge ski boots are a 100mm last - how does that work Puzzled
If last increases/decreases with the boot size then there must be a standard reference size?
ski holidays
the reference size for most is 26.5 and for head 27.5 it goes up/down by 2-3mm per size depending on the lasting gauge that the maker uses

who said 110mm for your foot?, how was it measured? if it was diagonally across 1-5 met heads then it will be an increased rather than the true width, needs to be the width between two parallel lines drawn at 1st and 5th although the widest point on the outside of the foot will sit behind the widest point on the inside of the foot
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
the reference size for most is 26.5 and for head 27.5 it goes up/down by 2-3mm per size depending on the lasting gauge that the maker uses

who said 110mm for your foot?, how was it measured? if it was diagonally across 1-5 met heads then it will be an increased rather than the true width, needs to be the width between two parallel lines drawn at 1st and 5th although the widest point on the outside of the foot will sit behind the widest point on the inside of the foot

standard DIY job.
tape measure on a bit of paper.
stand on tape measure.
measured width from widest part (whatever it's called metatarsal joint or something similar, big toe joint to little toe joint straight across Smile )
...and when your standing I guess this is wider as you put pressure on your foot.
snow report
Always found boot stiffness had more influence on "performance" than going for a tighter fit - life's too short for race-fitting boots, a good standard fit if not powerful enough for you needs to be tried in a stiffer boot?

110 wide foot? My sympathies - I'm 104 and have found it difficult at times to get the right fit. Couple of recent scarpa models have done the trick nicely though
ski holidays
I'm a 7 in shoes and skiing in a 25 boot at the moment which feels too big, I am going to buy a cheap pair of 24s from Ebay to compare but from the sounds of this thread I shouldn't have any problems fitting my feet in them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf wrote:
I am going to buy a cheap pair of 24s from Ebay

Fuse well lit, stand back!! Laughing
snow report
lynseyf, that should work a treat as long as you buy the same model (or at least brand) in the smaller size. It's amazing how big a difference there is between different manufacturers sizing

Ain't nowt wrong with buying boots online - if you know what works for you and you have some knowledge of fitting
latest report
barry, Get a Race Fit right and you'll be smiling ear to ear. Every movement transmits instantly to the skis, they feel alive. Very Happy
snow report
barry,
Quote:

that should work a treat as long as you buy the same model (or at least brand) in the smaller size.

That is exactly what I was wondering - would it work?
snow report
Spyderman, depends, been there done that, but always preferred some dialled back just a bit, having mad clown feet of different sizes don't help, got it perfect right now between comfort and performance. All personal preference really
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
barry,
Quote:

that should work a treat as long as you buy the same model (or at least brand) in the smaller size.

That is exactly what I was wondering - would it work?

Only if it's the exact model, there's a large difference between each model in each manufacturer's range too. It's like cars, you can't compare a MINI to a BMW 7 series. Then there's potential wear or adoptions to the liner and/or shell to consider, if it's a second-hand boot.
ski holidays
My daughter is size 5 and I got her first adult boots at age 16 earlier this year . She's in 23.0 which she feels really comfortable in after a week at Hemel and about the same at the dr slope.
ski holidays
Megamum, should work fine. You'll much more likely run into problems if getting a different manufacturer where "one size down" on their scale could actually be 2 sizes down. It is very annoying that it isn't all universal
latest report
So talk to me about flex - if I stayed within the same Head edge range, my 8.8's claim to have a 60 flex. Some of the slightly higher number Head edges claim higher flexes - 70 or maybe 80. Is this significantly higher. Assume that I have gone from total beginner to semi competent intermediate on a flex of 60, do I need a higher flex to go from intermediate to Advanced holiday skier and if so what flex should I be looking for?
snow conditions
Megamum, staying within range also a good plan for flex. Next time you're skiing, try some "big powerful turns" (bit tricky to explain this one) - basically though if you can feel more "give" in your boots that you wish was translated direct to the ski to whip you round the turn then you might be ready for something a bit stiffer - you'll notice quite a difference for a relatively modest increase (on same scale). Guarantee an involuntary giggle on the first turn in stiffer boots!

By the same token if your current boots feel "adequate" or "powerful enough" in the turn then you"re fine. Stiffer boots do not a better skier make
latest report
60 is pretty low especially if you're not lightweight. Daughter's old boots (youth ones) were 60s and she wasn't getting enough control, new ones are 85 but she only weighs about 7st.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 1-02-13 21:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A 10 (45) in normal shoes. CEM got me into 26/26.5 305 Salomons. The toes were tight at first but now have bedded in nicely and feet are very comfy indeed. never undo any buckles during the day

Better to be small and have them blown out a bit than too big
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy