Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting into dryslope racing..how difficult?

Poster: A snowHead
So.. I've done a bit of racing with the uni, and I'm not great.. so I realise I'm not going to come close to placing. But! After a recent broken leg cost me 3 holidays and the ability to compete in two big competitions.. I want to get a bit done from now until end of October when I imagine I'll have to enter the real world.. *shudders*.

Was just wondering what is needed (paperwork) to race? Join a club? An association? Really got no idea how it all works! Any help would be appreciated Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Was just wondering what is needed

Sturdy thumbs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timmaah, go stalk said club of choice, have trial session, join club if like & space allowing, prepare to lose time, money & lay-ins!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmaah, Where are you based?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would guess that it's going to be much easier to do this through a club.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah, Assuming you are in England.. the SnowsportEngland website has a lot of useful info, and a list of all clubs so you can find one close to you.

Welcome to the world of early mornings, stupidly hard wax, edge life measured in seconds, and the smell of Mr Sheen Laughing

Quote:

so I realise I'm not going to come close to placing.

Can't remenber the last time I did ! Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies so far! scooby_simon, in Bristol at the moment. Used to train at Gloucester slope before the break, apparently the Avon one is a bit meh...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmaah, are you male or female? I think it's much easier to place if you're female, there don't seem to be many adults racing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah, As you are currently in Bristol, then one of the Gloucester Clubs would be the obvious choice. If you go with Western Counties, then you will be one of their youngest members - but beware some of them are quick nevertheless!

http://www.westerncounties.net/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avon has a growing amount of racers as well, thursday nights from 7.30 is adult race training, tuesday nights from 6.15-7.30 is for the younger (but very quick) racers and thursday 6-7.30 is more for the beginner racers.

Western Counties is fine if you like your pipe and slippers!! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
forgot to add... www.avonskiclub.co.uk
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends when you want to train - http://www.gloucesterskiclub.co.uk are Sunday and Thursday (I seem to recall that Slalom Plus are the same nights, but they seem to have abandoned the ide of having a website, so can't confirm). Western Counties are Mondays.

If you just want to do club/interclub competitions (e.g the Gloucester Summer Race League which all the club mentioned here take part in) then just join the club, tell them you want to race, and that's it. If you want to do the National level competitions then you'd also need to register with Snowsport England (or Welsh/Scottish equivalents if you qualify for those instead).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, I'm male.. I'm about a second off one of the uni's quicker girls.. But I got my back bottom kicked at BUDS.. finished about 70th for slalom and 60thish for giant-slalom... Rental boots though! But hey ho!

Thanks for the updates guys! Not heard great things about the Avon slope and it's tree...

So seems like either westerncounties or gloucesterskiclub then. Cool stuff! Now to get my leg muscle back..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avon as in the one at Churchill? I learnt to ski there with Scouts several years ago...

It wasn't terrible when I used to go. I heard the slope isn't in great condition these days though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saas fee summer training camps could be worth looking into
ski holidays
Timmaah, go for it!! You'll love it, as others have said be warned it gets addictive Toofy Grin I started in a similar position to you, had raced at uni and not been very good but really enjoyed it so joined local club and eventually had a go at some of the SSE races, then spent the next few years driving all over the country every weekend in the summer, never having a lie in, spending a large part of my life edging and waxing skis, knowing all the cheapest places to buy wire pulling lubricant and generally driving my hubby round the twist wink Sadly having to scale it back quite considerably this year through combination of the terrible knees and lack of funds Sad looks like no plastic fantastic just some indoor snow at Chill Factore this year as all the plastic races are too far to travel, especially as I can't do the Pendle weekend - bum!

Look forward to hearing how you get on Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy