Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding instruction book(s)? Like the "Mike and Allen's" series preferrably...

Poster: A snowHead
I've signed up for an absolute beginner's snowboarding lesson in just over two weeks time in Trysil, Norway. It'll be my first time with a board strapped to my feet. I'm not necessarily committed to learning in the long run, I just thought I owed it to myself to have a go at some point in my life.

Does anyone have good recommendations for instructional snowboard books? I've had a forum search and have only found skiing books.

I particularly like the Mike and Allen's series, because of:

(1) the focus on what stuff should *feel* like
(2) acknowledging that there are multiple ways of thinking about and experiencing the same thing.
(3) full of individual things to try out if you're stuck in a rut.

For instance:

http://littleboingmarks.blogspot.com/2008/11/mystical-truths-revealed.html
http://littleboingmarks.blogspot.com/2008/11/spreading-peanut-butter.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Really-Telemark-Revised-Better-ebook/dp/B004LB4C94/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330948708&sr=8-3&tag=amz07b-21

I essentially taught myself to telemark using that book. Is there anything similar for snowboarding?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The dvd that comes with this book is very good - better than a book as you can see the techniques demonstrated

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Snowboard-Neil-McNab/dp/1405315741?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Allen + Mike telmark book is excellent (and IMO way better than Paul Parker's suposedly definitive reference). I've never seen anything similar in slowboarding but McNab's is the best approach I've read.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for McNab
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, yeah, I've got the Paul Parker book and it's useful but not practical enough to actually learn from, at least for my taste.

Thanks all for the McNab suggestions, I consider that a good sign that 3 snowheads in a row recommend it Happy DVD sounds useful, but I'll certainly be looking to take a book on the slope with me to peek at in times of desperation / boredom. I have an incredibly basic phone, so ripping the DVD to play on my phone isn't an option either.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for McNab, especially if you're goofy - all the demos are.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, strongly suspect I'll be regular. I'm better with my left foot in front and right foot trailing when telemarking.

Mind you, I'm OK thinking spacially so mirror-image instructions don't normally phase me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just ordered myself a copy of the McNab book, thanks for the suggestion everyone.

Any more recommendations welcome too...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ap96,

How about

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=545850&highlight=snowboarding#545850

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=576164&highlight=snowboarding#576164
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cad99uk, I'd read part 1, which is mostly about gear (very useful though) but my searching didn't come up with part 2, which looks very useful indeed, thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ap96, what are you doing??

ARE YOU INSANE??

You obviously tele and are a disciple of the OTF (one true faith)- enough to have read and learnt to love the Gospel of Mike and Allan and even have links to the holy icons.

BUT NOW YOU ARE A HERETIC AND WILL BURN IN THE ETERNAL FIRES OF HELL

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*runs away*
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well my mini darksider loves the McNabb book as well so guess it is as good as any if you want to go over!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not "going over"! I'm just like those Amish teenagers who have to go out and experience other things before returning to the fold! Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ap96, just enjoy whatever floats yer ass over t'white stuff. I've pretty much slid or fallen off everything and had a lot of fun ... and some pain... on them all. Ignore t'sad boogers who'll never have the zen experience of a board in powder or a race ski on a prepped piste Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:

zen experience of a board in powder

Words of great wisdom.
snow conditions
Quote:

zen experience of a board in powder

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Thanks for the help everyone, the McNab book turned out to be very helpful. My instructor at Trysil got me up and running and after a bit of practice by the end of the day I could link turns on a green run (slowly!). Main tips that helped me were "only turn your head, not your whole body" and "wait, don't rotate".

Next time I go skiing and the visibility is rubbish but the snow is good, I'll be hiring a board. I might even consider trying my luck at Chill Factore on the bottom bit of the slope in the meantime.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy