Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peisey Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am currently considering buying an apartment in Vallandry. Having skied the Les Arcs area, it seems as good a place as anywhere from which to access the Paradiski area - and possibly seems a more attractive option from the big purpose built villages of 1600,1800 & 2000. I would be really grateful for any insight on the Peisey/vallandry area as a place to be based. Is there much of a community in the villages? is there any nightlife for the teenagers? are there any decent shops - or do you have to trek down to Bourg for supplies? can the non-skiiers find anything to do? etc etc. Any feedback would be really appreciated
thankls!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just spent a week in peisey and can only chip in from my limited experience.

It is quite a nice resort but very little to do in the evenings for teenagers. 4-5 pretty nice restaurants but nightlife is pretty well restricted to 1-2 bars.
We had a very good time but did find the resort runs to be fairly tedious by the end of the week especially for the youngsters who had to follow endless blue tracks to get back. I found the skiing at 2000 to be much better and varied and we made our way over there every day. It is easy to get out of peisey and into the main drag but I always felt I had to go up and down twice to get where I wanted to be in the mornings. if you "pop" home you sometimes feel you have to go up and down twice to get to where you want to be again. Not a huge problem but you are off the beaten track a bit, but having said that you have the lift to la plagne on your doorstep.

I really enjoyed the ski area and as it was hot never got to experience the benefit of the tree runs, but in all honesty if i was looking at buying it is not the type of resort which jumps out at me but it is all down to personal preference.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sansnom, We bought an apartment in Plan Peisey nine years ago now - we share it with my brother - and we love it there. The biggest suprise to us, was how fantastic it is in the summer too, with direct acces to the Vanoise National Park, an absolute haven for walking. There is a fantastic community there. If you are there on 15th Aug, they have a village carnival, where the locals dress in costume & cook a massive pan of crozets to eat. It has a lovely atmosphere. As you say, its very handy for the Vanoise Express & access to all of paradiski. The runs round Peisey & Vallandry are great if the visibility is bad as there are trees to ski in. The shops are ok for basics - we drive over, so tend to do a big shop in Bourg at the beginning of the holiday - and at some other time if we are staying out for a couple of weeks. Otherwise there is a Sherpa in Plan Peisey & Vallandry - & down in Peisey too . There's a nice butcher & fromagerie also down in Peisey. Nightlife for teenagers is quiet, I would say. There has been talk of a disco near the tourist office, but so far, that hasn't materialised. There are a couple of bars - Mont Blanc & Jimmy's, & my teenage niece & nephew & our kids when they wer younger, have always had a good time. The Mont Blanc often have a live band. I was a non-skier this season, having damaged my knee on Christmas Day, & found plenty to do - lovely walks mostly, but swimming pool & hamam up at the Vanoise Hotel was a good find. Whereabouts are you buying? & feel free to PM me if you have anything else you want to know.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sansnom, Very limited in the nightlife department, that's why we like it! Is a popular resort with young families.

There is a well stocked Sherpa which is ok for basics, but many people stock up before coming up from the valley. There are several restaurants, many of which do take always as well so fine for a break from cooking.

There are a few walks for non skiers and free buses out to other villages, or walk to 1600, but it's not the best place in winter for non skiers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sansnom, I wrote a TR from the 08/09 season here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223 - obviously some things have moved on, there's a new lift into the top end of Plan-peisey (nr. la vache) and the flying squirrel has become a wine bar, but lot's of the rest should be vaguely relevant.

It's funny how one man's disadvantages is another man's advantages :-

mheadbee wrote:
We had a very good time but did find the resort runs to be fairly tedious by the end of the week especially for the youngsters who had to follow endless blue tracks to get back.

But isn't it better that they have one of the best improvers areas I've seen (some 20 trips done) accessible at the top of the chair lift? Stupidly wide, flat and with a nice gentle lift to use, together with access chairs that kids can down load on. When they get better than the cruisy blue then the reds back to base aren't that hard in most conditions.

mheadbee wrote:
it is easy to get out of peisey and into the main drag but I always felt I had to go up and down twice to get where I wanted to be in the mornings. if you "pop" home you sometimes feel you have to go up and down twice to get to where you want to be again.

Isn't it advantageous to be only 2 lifts away from anywhere in the domain (outer parts of villaroger excluded) - forgot something, need an extra layer, want to pop home for lunch, two lifts and two runs and you're back home. I don't agree with the need to be in the 2000 bowl, frankly IMHO the blues around vallandry are better than 2000 as have less flat spots. If you want to 'intro' off-piste then fill yer boots of the side off the derby etc etc

Yes nightlife is limited but you can always walk to 1800 if you want a big night. Oh and if you like x-country or similar then there's a big centre down the hill in nancroix
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If I were to buy in LA it would probably be Vallandry. Pretty well agree with everything genepi said, but I ain't no teenager. I tend to go to 'Le Fontana' (old Bar d'Lour') which is a 'French' bar... although they do speak English at a push.
Vallandry is small enough that you get to know 'most' [local] people fairly quickly, at least I have done over the past few years.

The big difference is whether you have a car or not. I looked at places in Aime, Moutiers and surrounding villages which are much cheaper but you don't get ski-in ski-out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Isn't it advantageous to be only 2 lifts away from anywhere in the domain (outer parts of villaroger excluded) - forgot something, need an extra layer, want to pop home for lunch, two lifts and two runs and you're back home.

It is not two lifts home though, we found it took our youngest a long time to get back. The two lifts up were good.
After 20 trips of boarding I learn't to ski this year, I found the mogul-ed reds almost impossible on the last few runs down. In fact I got to hate coming home as it was he only time I fell over.
Must admit it was easy as pie on my board.

It still felt a bit off the beaten track to me, but as I said, its all about personal opinions. I much prefer the runs around les arcs but to buy a property I would want to be in an alpine village with easy communications so Peisey is probably a good choice for that, just not my personal choice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^^ One lift, only if you walk from Vallandry / Grizzly back to Plan-Peisey, you'll need a second to ski back to PP from 1600.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It still felt a bit off the beaten track to me, but as I said, its all about personal opinions. I much prefer the runs around les arcs but to buy a property I would want to be in an alpine village with easy communications so Peisey is probably a good choice for that, just not my personal choice.

Would Bourg st Maurice be a bettter choice? Or if want easy communications and door stop skiing then Arc 1600 is the logical choice. Though I ternd not to do it for groceries you can easily nip down the funicular in the evening for that obscure item you forgot to bring from home.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vallandry is a great spot to ski from and is also a good summer base. Stayed there many times and will do so next week. Go for it!!!
Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sansnom, Tis indeed a great spot...

BUT there is an awful lot of building work going on and no doubt a lot more planned so think/research carefully what may happen on the land around where you're looking would be my advice Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy