Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length for Salomon Enduro XT800?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone help with choice of ski length for these?

I am 173cm (5'8") in height, 78kg (12st 4lbs) weight and experienced skier. They are all mountain skis but aimed at skiers who ski 80% on piste (like me!)

Choice seems to be between 168 and 161. I think 161 is probably the size to go for but would welcome any advice from our helpful snowheads too!

Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am no expert, but having just recently bought a pair of rockker skis with an 80mm waist, one piece of advice i was given was that Rocker skis can GENERALLY be bought in plus or minus 10cm your height, dont know if that is true, but i am 183cm tall and have bought skiis 178cm long, the model i wanted only do 172cm or 178cm. I felt 172cm was a bit short, bearing in mind that would be 11cm shorter than myself.

So in effect my skis are 5cm shorter than me.

I normally hired and got skis in between 172cm and 177cm in length. But an expert not me will surely be along soon

The XT800 has a waist of 78mm in a 161cm and a 79mm in a 168cm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just did 2 weeks on hired Enduro 850 skis, I am 167cm and the skis were 163cm. I normally ski on 156/157 cm skis but due to the Enduro having a Rocker was advised that i shoulld ski longer, this proved to be correct. Having a waist of 79mm was no problem, really good skis for 80/20 skiing will hire them again next year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I put up a thread last week about the Enduro ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87937 ) and one thing that came out was that you probably want them longer than your "normal" ski length - I skied the 160s (slightly different model) and I'm only 164 tall, and they were fine for me, but 161 might be a bit short for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the replies! My problem is I went to two ski shops.

The first guy suggested 161 for this XT800 ski. He said 168 would have been ok for the LX800 which was also on sale, but that 161 was better for this ski because it was a different ski. I forget what he said, but I got the impression it because it was more demanding or stiffer? He went to check but there was none in stock. A pity as it was seriously discounted!

The second shop only had the XT800 in 168 and were happy to sell me those. However they were full price.

I am now left buying online instead. I trusted the first guy more as he didn't even check for stock of 168 having decided I was a 161.

But I am left wondering how a shorter ski fits with the fact it has an all terrain rocker (which means the tip lifts off the snow somewhat, meaning that less of the ski is being ridden)?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lorenzo, go 168s they ski and feel short for their length but they are really not in the same category as other twin tipped type all mountain skis and are more piste orientated so no need to go longer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher, thanks for that. Do you have this model of Enduro? I now have both sizes being held in different shops so need to make decision soon!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lorenzo, I've got the 850s @ 170 I'm 5' 7" nearly 11 1/2 stone ish, length is certainly not a problem they do feel short to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
175 for stability, but you have to be athletic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
With the rocker tip you loose at least 5cm form the ski length. The XT800 is a very heavy ski, quite stiff. With a 168cm you would be skiing an effective 163cm, 10cm shorter than your height...sounds about right.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had 2 weeks on the xt800, am 178 (95kg) and skied the 175 on both occasions. Felt really good, not too long and certainly agile enough on piste. If the 5cm thing suggested is accurate, then that certainly brings them closer into line with what I have skied on in the past.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi!

I wonder if somebody could help me!

Does anybody know what is the meaning of the SRX letters ? For example on Alpina SRX 2011

Thanks a lot!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RC4, welcome to Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice. I have now got myself a pair of 168 size XT800's at the cracking price of £287! This was from Blues Ski Shop in Tiso store. They do feel pretty solid, so will try them out at Snozone at weekend.

I should also say that Freetime Climb and Ski in Carlisle gave fantastic online service, being happy to cancel a sale by recommending that I get a longer ski than I had ordered, even though they didn't have it in stock. Well recommended.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lorenzo, Good choice -just seen the post and I'm 5'9" same weight and have the 170cm 2011 Enduros which are I think 83 underfoot. They ski short and are fantastic fun and never fail to please in any conditions.
snow conditions
RC4, Start a new thread and ask the question + welcome to SH
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy